Photo

Workaround for Layout? ...anybody use it this way?

layout 8.5.6

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 malcineurope

malcineurope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

Tech

Personally I think that the concentration on Layout misses the point. FormZ will never be the final software of choice for producing working drawings. For it to become so would mean that Autodesz would have to concentrate on it to the detriment of its 3D modelling capabilities, which are great.  What is needed is an easy, solid way of going from the views created in the 3D model to a base within another program for adding all the information required to produce a working drawing.

This requires the output of both vector lines and also raster image produced in the model overlain one on another. Layout does not cut it because you still then have to go from Layout to another program for finishing. However, you do have already within FormZ the solution. You can print to PDF an image at scale. If you do this with a normal, coloured view you get a raster pdf. However, if you do it with a hidden line i.e. black and white, rendering you get vector lines. So by printing the same view twice to pdf with both normal and hidden line renderings you can get a raster image overlain by vector lines.

This should be ideal. However, there are one or two glitches. Firstly, there seems to be a difference in scale between the raster and vector pdfs. The difference being about 0.4%. Secondly they both print with white backgrounds, which have to be removed and thirdly they do not seem to register, i.e. print in the same position, so one image has to be moved on top of the other.

So my ideal solution would be an option  to print a view correctly to scale with two layers, one of which is a vector layer taken from a hidden line or black and white render and the other from one of the standard image renderers, properly registered one on top of the other and with no extraneous background.

Would this not be fairly easy to implement?

#22 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

Malc, 

Spending time making Layout a more robust and user-friendly drafting program will not "detriment [formZ] of its 3D modeling capabilities...."  We will allocate our resources effectively to make the whole formZ package (formZ, Layout, Imager, Viewer, etc.) a great value and enjoyable experience for all of its users.  

Layout IS a way to to make your views created in the 3D model to another program to produce a working drawing.  This is done by following these steps:

• Save your views with the .fmz file

• Open Layout.

• Create a Layout Frame

• Select the .fmz file, choose your view and scale in the Frame Parameters, click OK.  

Does this not work for you?

Also, note that exporting/printing both a raster image and a vector image at the same time is not easy to implement given that raster and vector formats are different.  That is, JPG is a raster format, DWG is a vector format.

#23 malcineurope

malcineurope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

Tech

Yes I use layout. However, to get it into a program to finish off the drawing means having to go through DWG and I end up losing all the rendering that makes a drawing come to life.  I am very aware that JPEG is a raster format and DWG is a vector format but you are still missing the point. You already allow printing to pdf to scale and pdf can be both raster and vector. Print a shaded rendered image to scale in pdf and you get a raster image. Print the same image rendered using the hidden line render to pdf and it is a vector file that you can then edit or snap to in another program  eg. Powercadd, Affinity Designer, Illustrator or any other similar program that can work with vector pdfs. By laying the vector file over the raster I get a super snapable image. You seem to have all the tools already in place. I would just like to automate the process and solve the registration and scaling issues.

#24 Hugo

Hugo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

Malcineurope, Tech,

Actually, if I export a drawing from Vectorworks to DWG, the DWG keeps the vector lines AND the filling after importing in ACAD. So, can be done...

VANDENBOOMEN-ARCHITECTen...

MACOS 10.12 SIERRA | Form Z 8.5.7 | Vectorworks 2017 SP | AutoCad 2017 LT | Maxwell Render 4.1.x.x | Thea Render | Renderzone | Affinity Photo and Designer

Mac Pro late 2013 8-core 3.0Ghz 32Gb RAM, 2x FirePro D500 3GB | MacBook Pro Retina 15" mid 2014 i7 2.8Ghz 16Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 2Gb+Intel Iris

Mac Pro mid 2010 12-core 3,46Ghz 96Gb RAM, SSD | Mac Mini mid 2010 2,4Ghz 2-core 16Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 320M 256MB | Cinema Display 27" 2560x1440 | LG 31" 4K 4096x2160

#25 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

Hugo, malcineurope, 

We will look into this in the future.  Thanks for the suggestion!  :)

#26 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire, UK

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:35 AM

How do you access frame parameters for an existing frame (retrospectively). I also could not find a tool or keyboard shortcut for frame parameters. Frame paramaters (wrongly spelt) dialogue appears automatically immediately after creating the frame but that seems to be the last opportunity to change settings for the frame.

FZ8.5 pro with Renderzone on Windows 7 64bit.

Family Plan.

#27 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

Alan, 

After you create a Frame you can right-click on it to bing up the context menu and access its parameters.  Thanks for letting us know about the typo, we will get this corrected  :)

#28 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire, UK

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Tech,

I don't think this is mentioned in the manual but I've since noticed that it is shown about half way through Matt's 'Fast and flexible Layout in FormZ'

I tried Layout a few times in the past which weren't so successful for me but very happy to say I am finding it useful now, thank you.

There doesn't seem to be an option to duplicate sheet, could this be added please?

Although duplicate, copy and paste are in the local menu, it does not seem possible to use these actions between sheets.

However, I think I discovered a way: Select the frames you want to copy to another sheet, select the move tool with make copy active, click the position to start the copy from then switch to another sheet and the copy process can be continued into the new sheet. Cool.

You can virtually duplicate a sheet or as much of it as you want to by this simple procedure. I don't think that is in the manual either.

Duplicate sheet would be even quicker though when you want whole sheet duplicated.

FZ8.5 pro with Renderzone on Windows 7 64bit.

Family Plan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users