AutoDesSys

Formz wont open! Urgent help needed

DJAB

AndyB,

Which version of formZ exactly are you referring to?  (Version 7 will always show Windows 8 OS instead of v10 because it was created before Windows 10 was released, but version 8.5.6 (or newer) will show Windows 10 on the startup screen.)

You should first identify if this issue only occurs with Maxwell Render loaded (as was the case for Pointer), or if this occurs even with no Maxwell Render loaded.  If Maxwell is required, then PylonTechnical support should be able to help with this.  But if it occurs even without Maxwell Render loaded, then please continue. 

Following the steps ( 1-3 below) should only take about 15 - 20 minutes, so finish your deadlines if you can for now -- and then try those steps when you have time.  And please test exactly what we suggest so we can help most effectively:

1.  Quit formZ and download the current version (and follow the directions on that page):

www.formz.com/update

or:

http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/4987-form%C2%B7z-857-pro-wip-download-now-available/

2.  Once Copied into place, launch formZ.  (Do not do anything else first.) 

3.  If it does not launch, completely Quit formZ, Delete the autodessys folder.  Then relaunch (ok), and Quit.  Relaunch again.  Is it still OK, or is it not launching after these exact steps?

(And maybe #4):  And if that is now still working -- are there any other specific steps that are necessary to make the problem return once more on your computer?

The previous instructions should be quick and simple to follow -- and should help identify and resolve issues.  You can try this using 8.5.6, or the WIP v8.5.7.  Both should work well in general, but again if you have ANY specifics, please send them, along with a file to support@formz.com so we can help directly.

Hi Pointer (& AndyB),

Ah, ok, so now we are a bit confused.  Can you please clarify -- this does or does not have anything to do with the AutoDesSys folder, does it?  Or is it just the latest Maxwell Render Plugin that is needed to be adjusted in order to continue working properly?

It is very difficult to answer when given only partial information (especially when mixing "similar but different" information in the thread -- so if you can do and answer exactly what we are requesting, that will help us help you.  (Or if it is Maxwell Render only -- then Pylon can solve it for you.)

If you are getting the "hang immediately after the startup screen goes away"  -- then how long have you waited at the "grayed out screen" for formZ to finish starting up?  And if you just wait a couple minutes to see if anything eventually happens, does that change -- or stay the same with the grayed out screen?

Hi guys,

My issue was nothing to do with Maxwell. I randomly started to get the hanging screen as per my screen shot, I have no idea how or why... You gave me a work around, what was to delete the autodesys folder from the roaming apps file, and then start again.

I have the WIP file now, which has worked fine...so far. Just one note, why does it still say windows 8 during start up? (Im on win 10, I do have the correct version dont I?) whilst writing I did have another issue. During a crash a few weeks ago my desktop shortcut for form z vanished and also within the autodesys folder from the start menu, it only has layout in it... Its not a problem, just wondering if you have seen this before?

regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Ok, we have found a computer where this happens here too, we will investigate this and get it corrected.

Please try this:  RUN: dxdiag -- and post a screen capture of the System and Display Tabs so we can see what this indicates...

HI Andy, 

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Have you tried uninstalling all versions of formZ and then reinstalling a fresh copy?  When you do reinstall the fresh copy, make sure you turn off all anti-virus software and/or firewalls as these can prohibit your computer from installing the necessary redistributable packages.  If you need a link for the download, please contact support@formz.com for this information.

Andy,

We recently assisted a user (Pointer) who might have been experiencing the same issue as you. In his case, Windows was displaying a pop up dialog on a second monitor behind formZ which could not be dismissed (except by disconnecting the second monitor), so formZ appeared frozen.

Even if you don't have two monitors attached, you might try the solution below, which corrected the issue for Pointer.

This is likely a Windows issue that has affected many users, not just those of formZ / Maxwell. In your case, having a second monitor attached appears to be making it impossible to click on the dialog that’s appearing behind the window (on the second monitor).

In the forum thread linked to below, you might try the steps outlined by user “BillGateFollower.” It seems that setting FOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT to 0 has solved this issue for many users. (Write down the value it is set to currently, so you can revert if necessary.)
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c7b0e69b-64b7-437d-9f7b-dde53de6a0a8/new-window-opens-behind-existing-window-how-to-modify

Archived