AutoDesSys

formZ 8.5 to Maya 2017

DMclean

Attempting to Export formZ files in FBX and then import into Maya 2017 and have come across the following.

I have a simple 10' cube file. Working units in formZ are inches.

If I convert formZ's working units to Metric-Centimeters and export the file as FBX and Units in the export options as Project units, Maya seems to import it with no problems (with the Maya default unit being centimeters). Maya imports the 10' box as just that, a 10 foot box (3.084cm) I can then change Maya's units to inches and go back to working in Imperial.

If I check in the import options of Maya, I can see that the FBX file units are listed as cm and that there is no size conversion happening.

If I leave the formZ working units as Imperial-Inches and export the file as FBX with Units in the export options as Project units, Maya still seems to see the base unit as centimetres, and imports a 120cm box assuming I leave the Maya default units as centimetres.

The import options in Maya still sees the FBX file units as centimetres and no conversion is happening.

It seems Maya always reads the FBX file units as cm, no matter what. Does the FBX file exported from formZ not save the unit that formZ is working in or is the Maya import just perversely refusing to read it? 

This is the info that Maya shows about the FBX file it is reading. File units doesn't seem to change no matter what I chose when exporting.

File Version: 7.4.0

File Creator: FBX SDK/FBX Plugins version 2015.1

File Custom writer: No

File Creation Time: 2017/1/23 9:46:37

File Axis Direction: Z-up (RH)

File Units: Centimeters

System Axis Direction: Y-up

System Units: Centimeters

System frame rate: 24 ***Warning: Frame rates do not match***

File frame rate: 30

File content: 3 Elements, 1 Materials

So far converting the formZ units just before I do the export is the best workaround I've found. Anyone else having better experiences?

Doug

Archived