AutoDesSys

constrain move transformation to direction of drag

rodlord

Hi - once upon a time when dragging an object the move could be constrained to the direction of travel by holding down the shift key.

Sadly no longer it seems so have been getting many subtle drifts that I didn't want and having to look for them and correct them.

Can anyone enlighten me about how to constrain the move in 7.3.4 please ?

Many thanks in advance -

Rod

Rod,

Yes, as Dennis suggests, when using the Guide Snap, put the cursor over the desired guide, hold down the Shift key, and drag the shape along the guide.

Right click on the Guide Snap and choose Manual or Video for more details...

Thanks for the replies.

I don't really want to have to create guides for every move of an element that I want to move in an X or Y or Z direction. I would be forever creating guides I think ?

I just want to hold down the shift key - or some other voodoo - while I drag the element in a direction.

Shift doesn't work and I can't discover the equivalent.

I will just have to think of some other way I suppose.

cheers

Rod

Guides are created on the fly automatically as you work, you rarely have to manually add them.  Shift constrains to the direction of the guide the cursor is on.

ADS, this constrain action has two current limitations, the first is that the shift-snapping does not occur when the guide is concurrent with an existing segment and the second is the inability to scroll zoom while snapping.

Archived