#1 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:43 AM

I am a big fan of Thea/FZ and bought the plug-in, question is:

- Development is cancelled due to not enough FZ users buying into it...?

- ...an update is in the making ?

- Thea will be integrated into FormZ 9 (wohoo) ?

Any news here ?

• 3dworks, RegreeHes, Robertquade and 1 other like this

#2 Justin Montoya

Justin Montoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

NO, it's not dead!

I'm a big fan of the Thea FormZ plugin as well.  I reached out to Manolis at Solid Iris last week for an update and within 24hours, I got this in return.   :)

Hi Justin,

Thanks for pointing to that thread. As I replied there, questions regarding the plugin's availability should be directed to our sales.
The plugin's development has not stopped, the version synced with the latest version of Thea (1455) will be made public next Tuesday  :)

Thanks for contacting us.

Kind Regards,
Manolis

Edited by Justin Montoya, 17 January 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#3 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

Thx Justin thats good news....

#4 Justin Montoya

Justin Montoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

Looks like the update was posted as promised - https://thearender.c...p?f=152&t=20509

#5 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:42 AM

this all doesnt help to anyone not customer, as the test version is still the old one and sales told me that currently it is not possible to buy it...

3dworks visual computing + photography

#6 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

never mind, the demo is already updated now, will test this soon.. :-)

#7 andrew

andrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:55 AM

I'd like to hear from zWeb Support on the status of Thea and ADS.

• vva and Richard Rush like this

#8 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:04 AM

6 weeks later...
I am still a big fan of Thea/FZ and bought the plug-in, question is:

- Development is cancelled due to not enough FZ users buying into it...?
- ...an update is in the making ? (Yes its out and works well)
- Thea will be integrated into FormZ 9 (wohoo) ?

Any "official" note regarding continuity of the plug-in?
  • 3dworks likes this

#9 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:40 AM

i would be interested into this as well!

#10 pkcn

pkcn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

FormZ plugin is no more available on Thea site. no way to buy it...so sad!

#11 barnabythebear

barnabythebear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:27 AM

Hi,

It would be nice to get some clarification on this. Interestingly, the Blender, Fusion 360 and 3D Studio Max pages no longer have purchase buttons too.

Thanks,

Nige. 

#12 Justin Montoya

Justin Montoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

Hello.

I've reached out to Solid Iris to see if we can get any further clarification.  The fact that Blender, Fusion 360 and 3D Studio MAX are no longer available for purchase is suspicious to me.  Leaving only Cinema 4D, Rhino, and SketchUp.  There are likely more 3D Studio users than all other combined, so it would be especially surprising to hear that they were no longer supporting that enormous platform.  

Let's wait and see before we jump to bad conclusions.  

#13 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

Another 6 weeks later,

Nvidia has just released OSX drivers for their latest "pascal" based cards, GTX 1070, 1060 etc., which makes Thea/GPU rendering an even more powerful option on Macs.

Any sign of life regarding future of the Thea FZ Plugin  ?  Yes/No/maybe ?

#14 Justin Montoya

Justin Montoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

Well, it's not dead, it works great in its current form, even if there are a few features missing from the other integrations.  

It's development is on pause until they release a big new update on the other platforms, which will then get rebuilt on the other integrations. 

More info:  https://thearender.c...hp?f=16&t=20858

QUOTED:

by giannis » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:31 am

Dear Friends,

First off, I want to personally thank you for your patience and support. In the last few months, the team here has been working on a number of very exciting updates to our rendering software while also redefining our plans for the future. Our recent acquisition by Altair has set extremely high expectations and goals with respect to our software quality and creating a long-term strategy for Thea Render and its connections.

Although there are always many priorities to consider, there is one that is of the highest importance for all of us; our end user. Ensuring that our loyal user base is satisfied with the quality of the product and service we are providing has always been our main concern and continues to be fundamental within Altair.

I must admit that we have recently become a bit silent compared to how we were exposing things in the past. The reason is that we are very busy adding a number of great features in our next major edition and it is important that such features are exposed at the right moment, related to the announcement and publishing of the edition.

Some of you have noticed that we removed several plugins from our store. We have discontinued them for the time being. While reviewing our offerings, the high standards we have set for our products and support made us somewhat skeptical about certain integrations. In our evaluation, we felt that we needed to put a few of our plugins on hiatus. Our ultimate goal for a number of them is to recreate them from scratch, to meet the highest user expectations.

The above also explains our strategy; it is not always the best to push everything forward at once. Sometimes (and even more given the complexity of Thea Render overall package, its connections and integrations), it is better to focus on certain parts, platforms and services to get the greatest implementations in a shorter time and then port the success on the other platforms as well. We are carefully creating our plan, so that we are taking very small steps back in some parts but at the same time maximizing our progress in others.

Finally, to make sure that our communication stays intact we will be releasing monthly announcements discussing our progress. The monthly announcements will be following closely our internal roadmap and development. Make sure to stay tuned with us either through our forum, social media or newsletter.

With the above said, I would like also to conclude with a commitment to you; Thea Render is here to stay and we are working hard to make it the clear leader in photorealistic rendering. I hope you will stay with us for the exciting ride.

Best regards"

• Jaakko likes this

#15 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

sounds quite confusing. cannot understand the reason why they don't sell licenses as long as there is a working version  of the FZ plugin if they don't want to support this version, they still could sell licenses by a lower price, excluding any support beyond the forum discussions. as i am not upgrading maxwell anymore (my main platform lightwave was removed from the supported plugins and the upgrade fee to the latest version is ridiculously high, not offering much more than an experimental GPU support for mac users) this was my last hope to get physically based rendering straight out of FZ.

Edited by 3dworks, 18 April 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#16 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

"Some of you have noticed that we removed several plugins from our store. We have discontinued them for the time being.

While reviewing our offerings, the high standards we have set for our products and support made us somewhat skeptical about certain integrations."

Those lines make sense somehow. Induced coma.

It is beyond my imagination how much work has to be put into to developing and maintaining all these plugins.

Lets just assume it was just 1 month and 1 person for the Z plug-in  (so: being fully illusional), but even then: how many Z users have bought the plug-in:

10 ?

20 ?

Just guessing from what i`ve seen here.  It would still be not enough to even make up for that 1 month.

I really hope FZ and Thea can somehow make a deal on integration, adding to / or replacing Renderzone finally. 

Maybe that would benefit both products.

Of course I only say that hoping Thea will stay around and at least be available/maintained "as is" to run under the next FZ  v9 update...

Edited by R2D2, 18 April 2017 - 02:53 PM.

#17 bluemonkey

bluemonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:00 AM

Like 3dworks I've been watching Thea with interest - I didn't make the jump at the time because I didn't have the time to look at it and I was doing some animations and the current version of the thea plug-in didn't support animation.

I can appreciate how they would want to re-evaluate stuff particularly when they have just been taken over however would it not make more sense to give away the current plug-in on the understanding there would be no support at the moment. It would still generate sales of Thea Studio and would slowly increase the user base until they decide to redevelop the the plug-in (probably at FMZ9).

I too am excited by the possibilities of Thea and would like the opportunity to explore and test.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users