AutoDesSys

single sided textures for interiors

eyeclick

Does anyone know how to make a single sided texture / poly for rooms?  In modo, a polygonal modeler, I create a room such as a bedroom or bath and the polys are single sided so that I can rotate around the room and see inside it.  It also blocks the physical sun light so that it only goes in windows.  Is there a way to do this in FormZ  I tried the Convert tool, but it wouldn't let me select anything in my model.

Eyeclick,

You can apply materials / textures to objects -- or their faces.  Just hold down the Command key (Mac) or Ctrl key (Win) when dragging the material to a face if you don't want to apply it to the whole object.

If your lights cast shadows, then the light will be blocked by other objects.  Make sure to use the Shaded Full (or other static renderer like RenderZone) display to see the effects of your lights in your scene...

Mod,

I'm sorry, I don't understand from that how to make a wall or a roof that you can see through one side of.  When I create a 2d face, it is opaque from both sides, unlike a polygon.  I understand I can add a material to a face by holding down the Cntl button and using the paint tool, but not how to remove the material from the other side.

Here is what it looks like in Modo with no thickness added to the walls. 

from the front left side

post-20250-0-79754100-1484344333_thumb.jpg

swung around to the back

post-20250-0-14800900-1484344331_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen,

Yes, if you are using a Glass Reflection that contains a Refraction for the glass -- then this requires thickness in the glass to calculate how light should bend as it transitions from one object to another... 

Does that help clarify why?  ;)

Archived