AutoDesSys

Rhino Import

setz

I get a lot of Rhino files that have objects with faces that have mixed normals.  An object will have some faces pointing inwards and some facing outwards. Can the importer be modified to fix these objects or can the Object Doctor have an additional feature to repair these types of issues?

Currently I am taking one object at a time, deriving all of its faces into separate objects and then restitching back together.  In files with hundreds of objects this is very time consuming.

On a side note, when I select many objects to do these restitching operations simultaneously I often get a "System was unable to complete the Boolean operation" msg.  The same objects stitched separately boole fine.  Perhaps the stitching algorithm could skip problem (coincident geometry etc) objects and continue stitching the valid faces.  Bad faces could then be found and fixed manually more easily.

• 4 months later...

The 3dm importer needs to be updated for FormZ. I ran into the same issue and it is because 3dm had some changes and this causes all kinds of odd problems. Your best bet is to export out step or iges files. Either of those are importing cleanly for me. Just an annoying extra step until it gets fixed.

Archived