GPU in Thea

15 replies to this topic

#1 Anwar

Anwar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

Does Thea Render use an NVIDIA GTX1070/8GB video card?  I never see my GPU running at anything other than idle speed when testing the trial version plug-in.

• Santoskes, Kamorkaset, Michaelhokig and 12 others like this

#2 Justin Montoya

Justin Montoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

Hello Anwar-

You may have more responses over at the Thea forums, but I'll try to help here where I can.   - https://thearender.com/forum/

CUDA v8+ is required for Pascal GPUs.  That includes all of the 1000 series, 1080,1070,1060, etc.   Cuda v8 was just officially released mid October, so it is taking a little time to fully integrate.  Make sure you have the latest Nvidia & CUDA drivers for your system before you do anything else.

Next, you can find BETA support for the GTX 1080 in Thea here.  I do not know if it would also support your 1070, but I suspect it would.  - http://www.thearende...p?f=111&t=17552

Finally, Since it appears you are testing the trial version plug-in, you may not be aware that only the Presto rendering engines use the GPU for rendering.  Try one of those and make sure the GPU device(s) are checked on in the display panel.

#3 manolis

manolis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

Hi Anwar,

As Justin said there is support for the 10xx series, currently offered as a separate download (Windows only).

You can download the separate dll's from this page (at the bottom).

You will need to replace the original dll's.

For the plugin, copy-paste the dll files in the TheaRender folder inside formZ Plugins directory.

If you are using Thea Studio, the folder is at <Studio installation directory>/Plugins/Presto.

Make sure that you are using the latest plugin (or Studio) version (.1447) and that you have updated your GPU drivers.

• Justin Montoya likes this

#4 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

Is it advisable to try to use thea with two GPUs under OSX sierra ?
If so, what to go for:
Will thea work better with more ram, is all the ram utilized, and does ram add up the same way cores add up?
( i.e. 2 x GTX 960 each 4gig ram vs. a single card with more cuda cores, like a GTX 980ti 6gig ram?)
Has anybody here tried dual gpu using thea and fz ?
Thx

#5 Justin Montoya

Justin Montoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

It should work fine with two GPUs under OSX.  

Currently the fastest rendering dual card option for the cMP (classic Mac Pro - tower), is (2) GTX 970's, as they can be powered by internal power alone without the need for an additional Power Supply.  Our towers have a huge power supply, but because of their age, getting all that power to the GPUs is a problem.  The fastest single card would be a GTX 980ti, but the (2) 970s will render Thea faster.  For more info on the dual GTX 970s in the cMP, see here - https://forums.macru...u-os-x.1840717/

If Nvidia released Pascal (GTX 1xxx series) drivers for OSX, the fastest option would be (2) GTX 1070's as the power requirements are even lower.  But that may very well never happen, and I for one am tired of all these bad choices Apple keeps making that hurts us professional users.  Looks like after 12 years or so, I'm being forced to move back to Windows.  Windows 10 isn't so bad, and I've been playing with it via BootCamp for a while.  Atleast there is a ton more software choices now.  I'll miss the elegance of OSX, but quite frankly, there isn't a Apple product worth buying that isn't atleast 2 years old.  The new product development choices Apple is making really make it seem like Apple died with Steve Jobs.  :(

#6 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:38 AM

I`ll give it a try:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2gpu.jpg

#7 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

After trying several gtx card combinations (760/770/960): yes this works well.
I think I will eventually settle for 2x 960gtx.
Performance of gtx960 is somewhere between 760 considering cuda , and 770 considering open GL.

They are not the most powerful for cuda but very efficient, in fact turning off the fans completely most of the time.
As I dont render all the time thats an important factor. (Compared to the very noisy and heat generating 770)

Most important for Thea it seems is ram - I had problems running out of memory with 2GB cards.
With 4GB Thea runs much better , thus making the 960 a good start before you want to invest in cards with 6 g ram or more...

#8 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

Looks like Thea is gone, but to sum it up (if anybody is interested at all):

2x GTX960 4GB work well with Thea, performance being on par with 1x GTX980.

Fans stay off unless rendering, when after a couple of minutes they kick in.

So its a relatively affordable and silent solution.

#9 Justin Montoya

Justin Montoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

I think the 960s are a good value, and would like to see how they compare.  When you get a chance, download the Thea Benchmark tool and set it to use only GPU, so we can see where your 960s fall in comparison. - https://www.thearend...s3.php?show=gpu

Also, we now that we have Pascal (10XX) series drivers for MacOS, the GTX 1060 6GB and GTX 1070 8GB, at ~$200 and $300 respectively, are the current sweet spot of the new generation when it comes to GPU rendering.

#10 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:52 AM

Hi Justin - I ran the benchmark and posted the results. (2012 points GPU only, 3332 w/cpu) 

I bought the MSI cards used for 130€ each - as I dont render all day my focus was on finding a quiet and affordable solution.

Bottom line my machine now has 8 fans (so its good those 4 CPU fans stay off...) and a total cost of around 600€.

#11 Justin Montoya

Justin Montoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hi R2D2,

Pretty good indeed for only costing 260 total!  I just learned that Thea is not yet optimized for the newer Pascal (10XX) series cards, so we are better off sticking with the 9xx series for now.

#12 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:49 AM

My guess is that the overall benchmark uses Thea`s different rendering modes equally and is thus more focused on also using the CPU.

I am only using Presto with GPU and CPU together and it appears one GTX960 roughly equals a six core xeon, (see pic) but maybe Manolis can shed some light on the numbers.

Anyway - compared to Renderzone it is beyond belief that after some 30 seconds you can actually see a forest of instanced 3D trees appear in Thea:

Attached Thumbnails

• trees1.jpg

#13 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:36 AM

i'm a regular octane user, so i know what to expect for my hardware setup and i must say that the FZ demo of thea seems to do extremely well in using CUDA capacities. using a 980ti card in my old mac pro. i didn'r yet test the setup with my networked GUP's because it is a bit complicate to setup. but as soon as i have time i will report here. is there an official thea benchmark scene /app which can be used to compare results? OSX sierra here.

Edited by 3dworks, 20 April 2017 - 04:39 AM.

3dworks visual computing + photography

#14 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:59 AM

Tach Markus,

I think you can download the Thea app and then try this file using the trees:

(or try the Benchmarking tool linked above)

Attached Thumbnails

• thea2.jpg

Edited by R2D2, 20 April 2017 - 05:01 AM.

#15 Justin Montoya

Justin Montoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

The Official Thea Benchmark tool and results are available here: https://www.thearend...rk/results3.php

I've run the test on both OSX and Win10 to see if there were any differences.  Not surprisingly, the GPU test is better on Windows, yet the CPU is better utilized on OSX.  This was done on Yosemite, so perhaps I should retest with Sierra, as it does seem to be a bit faster overall.

Edited by Justin Montoya, 20 April 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#16 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

thanks for the links, i will try this as soon as my GPU's are not used by octane anymore ;-)

3dworks visual computing + photography

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users