AutoDesSys

formZ 9

Andre Conlledo

I do feel we see a bit more of Formz in the trade. The fact that Next limit decided to drop the LIghtwave plugin but kept the FormZ plugin is showing that trend.

I hope an eventual V9 could bring more user to consider Z in their toolset. The free version certainly helps.

I would also like to know if something is in the oven or not.

Des,

Not if there is a significant jump in capabilities.    

If they added the scripting SDK,  That alone would warrant a full #.  Especially if it were in Python or Something.

Possibly even if it were written in a newer environment such as Swift (windows now get it too...   https://swiftforwindows.codeplex.com)

I too am hoping for a Christmas Beta    or better yet,  how about something to give Thanks for?

¢£

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool. Could you say please how difficult would it be to make a Python script to alter object axis of all selected objects as height, depth and thickness according to longest dimension first, mid dim second and shortest dim last? I'm careful to model correctly now, but that would help me to correct a lot of my old models quickly as a batch operation saving a lot of time. Thanks.

Less to learn = easier.

I'm a bit skeptical. 90% of the programing will still use the functions developed by AutoDesSys to communicate with FormZ (just using different name(s) ) - pretty much as is the case now. The real power comes from the additional capabilities of python to  manipulate and search existing data. Hopefully things like Regexp will also be included as is standard with Python. There are many versions of embedded Python and without its full capabilities, this may just turn out to be a academic exercise. Hopefully the beta will consider ease and capability rather than just one/one conversion with the vision to expand by using all the ability of Python and FormZ.

To be successful, the new SDK must also appeal to both experienced and new users, which is about FormZ not Python. Hopefully, AutoDesSys is also taking this  opportunity to create an easier more straight forward interface to manipulate or customize FormZ. This would be particularly useful to enhance those areas which do not have widespread appeal or use and for which AutoDesSys alone can not afford to spend much time. Hopefully the focus is still on FormZ  to add appeal to add a great number of new users - aka Sketchup

When I say Less to learn,  I mean, as a NON-Regular scripter, I don't have to learn other languages to do other things outside of formZ.  True, the API to hook into fZ is large.  But That should only change somewhat from v6.x where I was active. Expanded, to be sure due the the expansion of fZ capabilities.   Python would be useful to me, as there is only 1 syntax to learn and keep straight when scripting fZ, Operating system, MicroControllers (will be switching from the Arduino environment to the Raspberry PI)   etc...  For someone like me who does not "code"  a lot, a single syntax is a huge improvement.  I don't even really care that it is Python just that it is more universal than FSL was.  

Fully Agree with the SDK taking the burden off of ADS for all those oddities which do not appeal to the larger set of users.  Which my litany of scripts that I want to make, there is no reason ADS would want or need to fill, as they are more specific to my methods of working, opposed to the typical Architect User base that ADS has.

Though, an "easier more straight forward" interface would only really be useful if you could use it, then where it would have limitations, then to have Python take it the rest of the way, where it can.  This would help speed up the process.

Curious though,  how would yo use RegEx  in fZ?  I don't see a use for a whole lot of use for complex text string searching...  though, my use may dictate that view

Edited by Chris lund

Curious though,  how would yo use RegEx  in fZ?  I don't see a use for a whole lot of use for complex text string searching...  though, my use may dictate that view

As you said regex is good for complex string searching. Assume you have hundreds of similar objects, similarly named except for a few letters or numbers. With a pattern, you can easily select a subset of interested objects and modify them as a group. 2-3 lines of code verses ten's of ..... BTW Regex is a standard feature of Python, but embedded add-ons are generally re-compiled only with the features wanted by the user to reduce space. Hope that regex is one of them included--- just saying?

The only thing i hope is that they finally make changes in the Workspace - the floating palettes are horrible - there should especially be no possibiltiy  that the modelling window could be covert by palettes. There should be a fix Workspace Frame as in all other programms.

It's still a disaster when opening a file created on a machine with other Palette Settings - the modelling window is allways covered

Please don't forget the disscusion about improvements started in may 2015 about the layout - this would be the major Point for me.

http://forums.formz....ayout#entry6087