AutoDesSys

Hide objects

eyeclick

Basically you can either put it on a layer that you simply turn on and off to hide it or you use the Ghost Object tool and then if you want it hidden completely you select the Hide Ghosted box under the display palette.  I find that the isolate command works 99% of the time if I need to work on a confusing part of a model.

Unfortunately the Isolate command doesn't work if you have a lot of separate parts that you are referencing off of.  For example if there are three parts connected, it's a lot easier to select the part that's in front, hit H to hide and work on the two behind it, then hit U to unhide.  Sometimes I want to make a piece that goes from and interior groove in a top piece to an interior groove in a bottom piece, but there is a corner piece in the way.  In the screen-grab, I've ghosted the piece I would normally hide in another program. 

post-20250-0-48911100-1475537095_thumb.jpg

You can ghost or hide objects via Objects menu clicking to small eye icon to the left of tje object name or, if you are managing objects/groups vi layers you can ghost/hide them via Layers palette.

Unfortunately the Isolate command doesn't work if you have a lot of separate parts that you are referencing off of.  For example if there are three parts connected, it's a lot easier to select the part that's in front, hit H to hide and work on the two behind it, then hit U to unhide.  Sometimes I want to make a piece that goes from and interior groove in a top piece to an interior groove in a bottom piece, but there is a corner piece in the way.  In the screen-grab, I've ghosted the piece I would normally hide in another program. 

attachicon.gifgroovy.JPG

Hi eyeclick.

Regarding this:

you can either group objects in the front or place them to separate layer and turn this layer on and off whenever you need to work with objects in the back. Also you can use Clipping plane to work with objects on behind. Clipping planes are non destructive so you can turn them on and off with no consequences for you model.

Best,

Anton.

If you're working in shaded work mode, go into your display options and turn off 'Hide Ghosted'. This way when you isolate objects, you can still reference adjacent geometry without having it obscure your isolated geometry.

attachicon.gifgroovy.JPG

how about assign a keyboard shortcut to Ghost. "g" and and unghost "u"

then in your workflow, hit G, then selec the object you want to work around when you are done hit U and selct the object again

will that do what you want?

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. 

Bartjuan - I turned on Hide Ghosted and assigned Ghost to H (since it now hides) and U for unghost.

Not as clear as Modo or Sketchup, only one extra step, but definitely works!

I didn't realize I could unghost something that was ghosted and not shown.  Thank you!!!

Archived