AutoDesSys

form•Z and macOS 10.12 Sierra PLEASE READ

Tech

Apple made significant security changes to Gatekeeper in macOS 10.12 Sierra that affects the installation of form•Z. Please read and consider the following if you are contemplating upgrading to macOS 10.12 Sierra.

form•Z v8.5 is compatible with macOS 10.12 Sierra. Older form•Z versions through v6 have not been extensively tested with macOS 10.12 Sierra. These versions functioned properly in limited testing and are expected to function well (but are not guaranteed to do so).

Installation (or reinstallation) of form•Z onto a machine running macOS 10.12 Sierra is affected by the new security restrictions imposed by Gatekeeper in macOS 10.12 Sierra as follows:

form•Z 8.5 can be installed on macOS 10.12 Sierra using the form•Z 8.5.6 disk images (which were released on 10/6/16). These disk images can be accessed using the installation links in your original license information email.

form•Z 8.0, form•Z 7.x and any version of bonzai3d cannot be installed on macOS 10.12 Sierra. You will need to upgrade to 8.5 or install on a machine with 10.11 (or earlier) and copy the installation to the macOS 10.12 Sierra machine.

form•Z 6 is not affected by the OS X 10.12 Sierra security changes as this version is not a native OS X (macOS) application (however form•Z 6 has not been extensively tested with OS X 10.12 Sierra).

In general, any version of form•Z (or bonzai3d) that is installed on a machine prior to upgrading to macOS 10.12 Sierra will function, but be aware of the installation limitations should re-installation become necessary.

palarsen,

Unfortunately the right click and select "Open" method will not work because this does not disable a GPR (gatekeeper path randomization) on macOS 10.12 Sierra.

You can disable Gatekeeper from the command line in Terminal, however we do not recommended this.

If you chose to do so the proper steps are as follows (you will need your superuser password):

Launch the Terminal app (it is in the "Utilities" folder inside the "Applications" folder).

type "sudo spctl --master-disable" to disable Gatekeeper

Download the desired form•Z disk image.

Install the app (copy it from the disk image to the Applications folder).

Launch formZ

Accept any warnings presented by the system.

Quit formZ

In Terminal type "sudo spctl --master-enable" to re-enable Gatekeeper.

form•Z should now launch with Gatekeeper enabled.

Is it unreasonable to ask why FormZ is increasingly not in the know ahead of Apple OS releases ? I always had the impression that FormZ developers were ready for OS changes. This seems to have changed in the past 5 or so years.  Am I off base, here?

I recall the last time I installed a fresh FormZ on a machine, it was identified as a not-trusted application. How can that be?

Andrew, 

Yes you are off base. Apple announced these changes at WWDC this summer and we have been working with beta versions of macOS 10.12 Sierra since. We released updated disk images less than 24 hours after Apple released macOS 10.12 Sierra.

Note that it was not a trivial adjustment to accommodate GPR (gatekeeper path randomization) as Apple made significant changes in how shared libraries and plugins are accessed. Unfortunately older versions of form•Z were created long before these restrictions were introduced and there is no way that we could have anticipated that these restrictions would be imposed. Unfortunately Apple does not give Apps a way to opt out of (or in to) these new security requirements as we would have much rather put the effort into new features rather than making the connection from the app to external code more secure. We doubt anyone would gain much from hacking a form•Z plugin.

The warning that you will sometimes see with disk images of older version of form•Z is a warning of an "unknown developer" (rather than a not trusted application). This was caused by a combination of problems related to the code signing of some third party libraries that we use. This issue has been resolved and you will no longer see this message with the 8.5.5 disk images.

Andy,

We do not include the minor version numbers in the download names so that the links will continue to work as we release updated versions. You should have downloaded 8.5.5. If you install the version off of the disk image and run you should see 8.5.5 in the startup banner. Sorry for the confusion.

The 8.5.5 update for existing installations will be released later today (Wednesday). Once this is available you can can update your software to 8.5.5 by selecting "Check for Update" from the "Help"  menu.

RE: Z's Quote  "...we would have much rather put the effort into new features rather than making the connection from the app to external code more secure."

My question: Have we any special modeling, rendering or animating advantages by using 10.12? (Over previous OS X versions)

As a mere user, i have been keeping my best machine offline, (by disconnecting DSL cable) and only going online for registrations, etc... For years now i get frequent interference with any machine on a modem, period...  No need to visit malicious sites, they visit me. The OS  might brag about security, but too many resources are wasted on security.

Thanks always, for a great product.

Bo,

There are no known advantages to using OS X 10.12 with formZ. We will be evaluating new features in the OS for future versions of formZ where they make sense. Apple updated the graphics drivers with 10.12 so there is a chance that there are some incremental performance improvements depending on your hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

palarsen,

Unfortunately the right click and select "Open" method will not work because this does not disable a GPR (gatekeeper path randomization) on macOS 10.12 Sierra.

You can disable Gatekeeper from the command line in Terminal, however we do not recommended this.

If you chose to do so the proper steps are as follows (you will need your superuser password):

Launch the Terminal app (it is in the "Utilities" folder inside the "Applications" folder).

type "sudo spctl --master-disable" to disable Gatekeeper

Download the desired form•Z disk image.

Install the app (copy it from the disk image to the Applications folder).

Launch formZ

Accept any warnings presented by the system.

Quit formZ

In Terminal type "sudo spctl --master-enable" to re-enable Gatekeeper.

form•Z should now launch with Gatekeeper enabled.

If I launch Terminal and type in the Gatekeeper disable command for an existing installation of FormZ 8.1, would that enable me to launch it? I wish to God I hadn't broken my cardinal rule of installing a new Mac OS before checking on the repercussions. Wouldn't it be great if Apple would contact developers and ask them how their products would be affected before releasing something like Sierra. As it stands, I can't launch FormZ

Hi Carl,

Welcome to the forum!  ;)

We don't have a v8.1.  If you have v8.0 it will likely not work with Sierra.  If you have v8.5, just download and install v8.5.5 and it should work fine.  If you would like to order the upgrade, you can do so via the Upgrades Tab of our Sales Page:

http://www.formz.com/products/formz/formzsales.html

Does that help?

Last login: Fri Oct  7 07:38:35 on console

Carls-iMac:~ carltoti$ "sudo spctl --master-disable"

-bash: sudo spctl --master-disable: command not found

Carls-iMac:~ carltoti$ "sudo spctl--master-disable"

-bash: sudo spctl--master-disable: command not found

I typed the command in, wasn't sure if there was a space between spctl and the double hyphens following it, so I typed it in both ways, and it doesn't seem to work. Did I do something wrong?

The reason I'm doing this is to see if 8.0.1 will launch after doing so, before I download 8.5....flawed logic on my part?

Edited by carlart

Hi Carl,

As noted above, while it could potentially be possible to get v8.0 to run, we expect that this older version of formZ will not work with Sierra.  

You will need to order the upgrade to v8.5.5 (unless you already have a v8.5 registration code) to work with Sierra.

• 5 months later...

Hi FZnoob, 

We came across this issue in early builds of 8.5 on Sierra but it should have been fixed in a version prior 8.5.6.  Have you tried using the 8.5.7 WIP version of formZ?  (which can be found here:  http://www.formz.com/products/formz/update/formz_work_in_progress.html)

If you use the WIP version and you are still getting this error, can you please send the steps outlining your process so we can try to reproduce the problem (and perhaps a short video) to support@formz.com?  We have tested this on a few machines using Sierra and are unable to reproduce this error.

• 10 months later...

So I'm still using FormZ 7, hoping to upgrade soon though. However, I just moved from a 2014 MacBook Pro to a 2016 with Touch Bar running High Sierra.... FormZ is running like a total dog. Everything is slow as molasses. Is there anything I can adjust to get it zipping along ?

I upgraded because I thought, naturally, things would be faster... but no :(

rmulley,

There is not an obvious reason why formZ 7 should be slow on your machine, however the graphics capabilities could be a factor. Which model do you have? Does it have the Radeon Video card or just the Intel Iris Plus Graphics?

rmulley,

There is not an obvious reason why formZ 7 should be slow on your machine, however the graphics capabilities could be a factor. Which model do you have? Does it have the Radeon Video card or just the Intel Iris Plus Graphics?

System Info Says Radeon Pro 450 2GB, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536MB