#1 Des

Des

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

I use the "Interval Snap" in "Snap Options" all the time. I constantly change the interval while modelling.

So I was thinking of having multiple snap interval settings available so we can just select presets to help speed things up (for me anyway  :huh: ).

Here's a little edited version of the palette to give an idea...

Des

Attached File  SnapOptionsSuggestion.jpg   68.83KB   1 downloads

• JoryikMn, AlexissMn, Gregorytig and 13 others like this

#2 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationWestcliffe Colorado

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:06 AM

+10

Christopher Lund

Neurascenic - Industrial Design

#3 ZTEK

ZTEK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSantiago - Chile

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

+1

#4 DennisA

DennisA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:04 PM

+1

#5 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

And allow hotkeys and or scripts to access these settings!!!

Christopher Lund

#6 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:01 PM

+1

this would enable the return of a center of segment snap keysct!

My 2¢ - snap to increment should include the endpoints as it used to. Currently only the interval points are snapped to but if the interval at the end of the segment is desired, the snap must be changed to endpoint.

Thanks ¢hris.

#7 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

Setz,

Agreed,  however, I presume that they figure with point snap on as well as interval as opposed to "changed to"  , the situation is covered.

Christopher Lund

#8 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:41 PM

Hi Chris, I mentioned this suggestion before with a little bit of blowback so I do understand there is another POV of this issue, but I don't think it would be disruptive to implement it.

Somehow I have set up my key scts for snaps to be exclusive, which I like very much; it gives me a very sure indication of exactly which snap is being implemented.  For example, when I fire the key sct for Point, all other snaps are turned off.  When I fire the Increment sct, point is turned off, so if I want to snap to the Endpoint, I have to switch back to Point.  A minor, minor issue, but I want to reduce the myriad of little tasks that require a second or two.  There is a saying "death by 1000 cuts".

How's the earthship coming along, I saw some pictures awhile back, looks interesting!

#9 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado, USA

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:28 PM

+1  or at a minimum please return the Midpoint snap.  At times I need interval and midpoint at the same time.  I have gone over this issue in previous posts (Support agreed with the need fyi).

FormZ PRO v8.5.  Mac Mini 2.6 GHz quad core i7 16MB RAM and a Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz quad core i7 8MB RAM, Modern Architecture in Boulder and Denver Colorado www.ASONEarchitecture.com 

#10 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire, UK

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:37 AM

+1

this would enable the return of a center of segment snap keysct!

My 2¢ - snap to increment should include the endpoints as it used to. Currently only the interval points are snapped to but if the interval at the end of the segment is desired, the snap must be changed to endpoint.

Thanks ¢hris.

+1 for on the fly interval snap options and for a centre of segment snap key-sct.

I prefer however the interval not to include end of segment unless it is an option the user can select. The reason for this is that when wanting to snap to something visibly small I want to be sure I hit the interval, especially if it is the mid point without concern I may have snapped the end point by mistake making a zoom in required to check, which would be an annoyance. An additional separate middle of segment snap would be a good solution.

Smaller icons in the toolbar which are clearer due to the use of colors in the buttons as well as the hard to distinguish detailed graphics, to help distinguish between tools would be welcome, with heavy underlining to show which are active rather than whole button changing colour. This is another topic really but definitely related if we are suggesting adding tools to the toolbars so they can be more compact, yet still distinguishable.

Edited by Alan Cooper, 25 September 2016 - 05:40 AM.

FZ8.5 pro with Renderzone on Windows 7 64bit.

Family Plan.

#11 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

Setz,

How are you getting Z to switch on one snap and switching others off with a key stroke?   are you using external software that allows macros? Or have you somehow managed to do this within Z?

If External software (such as with a mouse driver or external keypad)  The macros could turn on interval snap and points snap at the same time. then when you use your point snap macro, only points would be activated.   I can do this with both my mouse driver (SteerMouse)  and with my external Keypad  (Orbweaver)

Cheers!

Christopher Lund

#12 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:55 PM

It's within FZ. I will verify in the morning but I think when scts are set from the sct mgr rather than from contextual clicking on the snap buttons that the snaps are exclusive. This is true for all snaps except for "Snap to Line" for some reason, maybe I set that one with the contextual menu. I'll let you know inthe morning. Cheers.

#13 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

It's within FZ. I will verify in the morning but I think when scts are set from the sct mgr rather than from contextual clicking on the snap buttons that the snaps are exclusive. This is true for all snaps except for "Snap to Line" for some reason, maybe I set that one with the contextual menu. I'll let you know inthe morning. Cheers.

Alan, I respect your workflow. I think having it as an option would be great.

#14 jsiggia

jsiggia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:37 AM

I miss the "match grid" check box in the snap options. 

Am I missing it somewhere else?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Siggia

Looking for users in the central Virginia area.

Late 2014 iMac Retina.

Look up from your phone.

#15 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:18 AM

When my snap scts are combined with the CMD key they become exclusive and shut off the other snaps.  For example, snap to point set to CMD+F1 sets point as the snap and turns off all other snaps.  When point snap is set to F1, it simply turns on and off point snap and the other snaps stay on or off as they were.  My line snap is not exclusive because it is not set with a CMD modifier.

#16 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:18 PM

I don't see the option to set that, and when I attempt to add the CMD to my keystroke, it does nothing.

I have remapped my shortcuts though...

Tech, does this screw things up for behaving such as setz suggests?

Thanks!

Christopher Lund

#17 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

I really like this functionality. No question about what is being snapped to.  It's here:

(on OSX)

Attached Files

Edited by setz, 27 September 2016 - 05:37 PM.

#18 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:16 AM

Hi Chris,

Setz's shortcuts should be fine.  You can also right click on the desired Object Snap icon and choose Set Shortcut if you like...

#19 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:09 AM

Tech,

I guess I was expecting a different pick option to apply a shortcut to, not a change of behavior for the same by adding the CMD key to the shortcut.

i.e.  was expecting something like Snap/Isolate Point Snap/"user shortcut"

What I don't understand is why adding the CMD key to a snap shortcut then isolates that snap.

Are there other shortcuts where a modifier key changes the behavior?  Are they listed?

From a code perspective, is the method overloaded?

Thanks!

Christopher Lund

#20 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:00 AM

Hi Chris,

Not sure why this would be "overloaded" but this was implemented based on suggestions by users.

If you give it a try, do you have any issues?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users