AutoDesSys

Vizpark plants .mxs files and Rebusfarm issue

Imagix

I purchased the Vizpark interior plants package as .mxs reference files. I works fine on my own machine and renders as it should. When I try to render a scene at Rebusfarm, I get an error message when trying to upload the file with RebusDrop.

"You have textures with invalid filename in your scene. The invalid files are: - e:\skydrive\vizpark\vp interior plants\03 plants\vp_ficus alastica\02 3ds max scenes\vp_ficuselastica_bark_bump.png (and lot's more for just one plant)"

Why is there even this reference in the plant mxs reference file. If it renders on my own machine that doesn't have access to that drive, then I don't see why it shouldn't work on RebusFarm or why that file reference is even in the mxs reference file.

Anyone had success with Vizpark .mxs files and Rebusfarm rendering?

Thanks

Anders

The files already have simple enough names. I think it's the .mxs reference objects that has a link to textures on the vizpark server that is the issue. The .mxm files used in the .mxs reference object only link to local textures. And formZ project with these reference object render fine locally.

I heard back from Rebusfarm today. Apparently it's an issue with the RebusDrop software for Mac. I have tried to install the windows version of RebusDrop with VitualBox and others, but without success.

So, for now I am using .fbx files from vizpark instead. Doesn't work as well and is a lot of work, but for now it's muy only option. I have tried to render on RanchRender as well, but have other issues there. Very annoying. Look forward to a RebusDrop update – or getting more render power inhouse :-)

Sorry I don't have any advice to offer on your specific problem however you bring up an interesting point of discussion (worthy of its own thread). I have used Ranch Computing for rendering out Maxwell projects. Recently used it from within Cinema4D. It seems there are many bugaboos and errors possible. Not to mention, software/plugins that has to be downloaded, etc. It's a little fussy. I've never used Rebus or others. It would be interesting to have a comparison of the many render farm options out there to help guide folks to the service that suits them best.

Just to add my two cents.

I have used both Rebus and Ranch with maxwell. I find that mxs references are more reliable with Rebus, Ranch requires them to be renamed before upload, but seems slightly quicker though, good for large projects with no references. I haven't tried vizpark stuff,...... yet.

Regarding the errors with your references;

I'm sure Pylon will help you with this, but if I hazard a guess, it's just to do with the file name locations.

With bought models (being used as references - mxs files), it's good to open them in Maxwell Studio and use "Pack and Go" to a location on your machine and place those references into your file.

Also, when you use the "Package for Renderfarm" (Extension > Maxwell Render), try opening the mxs file it creates on another computer before you upload to Rebus.

Hope this helps,

Des

I heard back from Rebusfarm today. Apparently it's an issue with the RebusDrop software for Mac.

I think Imagix mentioned above that Rebus said the issue was with their RebusDrop software for Mac. Is that correct Imagix? Did you have a chance to test the Windows version (on an actual windows machine or using boot camp, since it sounds like you weren't able to use it under a VM)?

I haven't been able to try it yet. This is the reply I got from rebus farm "...ok, our developer found the problem. but unfortunately it could still take a while until it's fixed and ready to be released, sorry." (realated to Mac version only).

I am currently using FBX versions imported in to formZ. It's not a efficient as mxs reference objects would be and I can't use the (better looking) mxm materials that I got with the mxs objects since they are the once that fail, it seems. Opening the mxm materials and relinking the textures does not make a difference. Also, they render fine locally, so it's not really the links that are wrong. RebusDrop seems to think so though. It's looking for files on an "e:" drive, that I don't have, being on a Mac.

Just to add to this. I recently rendered in Rebus using RebusDrop for Mac. The tall trees are Vizpark mxs references, all rendered fine.

I did have to open the relevant mxs files in Maxwell Studio and make sure the associated image files for each material was assigned to it's relevant location.

Saved the mxs and placed them into the model.

Tip using Rebus:

If you have old projects still on there servers, it's best to remove them along with the associated files. Otherwise you may get upload problems if your new project contains texture maps with the same name.

This is a message from Rebus when I had upload problems.

This looks like a conflict with already existing files on the farm. We can't have two different files with the same name. Please either remove any older versions of these files from the farm or rename them before starting the upload.

Once I cleared it out of old projects, everything went smoothly.

Des

The tall trees here..

post-16-0-71885200-1472290674_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did have to open the relevant mxs files in Maxwell Studio and make sure the associated image files for each material was assigned to it's relevant location.

Saved the mxs and placed them into the model.

Thank you! This works for me as well. Before, I just tried to updated the paths in the mxm files, but that wasn't the way I guess.

Archived