AutoDesSys

FBX import doesn't

Imagix

I have tried to import FBX files from several sources, but never can make it work. All I ever get is a new project window with nothing in it. No errors or anything like that.

Is it not working? I have Maxwell an Thea installed, but othervise nothing wired. Using the latest formZ version.

Hi Imagix and Anton,

FBX is now built into the program, so if you add that old beta test plugin it is expected to not work.  It should be working properly without needing to add anything, as long as you have the current v8.5.4 version.

If this is not working for you, please rename or delete your current formZ 8.5 Pro folder and replace it with one from here as directed on the following page:

http://www.formz.com/update

Does the FBX Import then work for you?  If so, you can then re-add Thea and Maxwell as you like, but if not, please send the FBX file so we can test with it here.

I've tried numerous times to import an FBX out of Revit LT.  I get a 'Program Exception: Access Violation' error.  Every time.  It's been reported, debug info sent different times.  Maxwell Studio ust imports the object without error.

For me, deleting the old plugin worked, BUT while FBX import sometimes works as it should – often objects are dislocated in the scene...

- leafs in a pile, instead of on a tree

- fruits outside a bowl, instead of inside it

This goes for FBX files from various sources. Is this an error in the import or is there an import setting I need to adjust?

Regards,

Anders

Hi WJO,

Please send the FBX file that is causing this problem to support@formz.com so we can make sure that it is properly logged and addressed.

Hi Anders,

We have seen some funky transformations applied to some geometry that could cause what you report, but it would be good to have another example to make sure all cases are addressed.  Please also send an example file to support@formz.com and we will investigate this as well.  Note that in the case we currently have logged, the file imports the same in formZ as it does in a number of other applications, so it may be an issue with the file as much as with the importer.  Either way, we will investigate this and see what we can do to accommodate this type of transformation.

Thanks in advance for sending files that show what you mention.

I have also not had much luck with .fbx files. I have emailed support a dropbox link to some files I was playing with recently - they are just free models from turbosquid (attached jpg for reference.)

They all have displaced objects when imported to FormZ. To be fair, they import the same way into Rhino. But they import more correctly into 3dsMax. Given the "free" origin I understand it isn't possible to account for the quality of the original export. But obviously Max is seeing the file differently.

Between the obj and the max formats I was able to cobble together some working textured models. But having a reliable functioning fbx import/export with textures would go a long way toward keeping FormZ relevant in our workflow here.

post-22-0-80543000-1472157682_thumb.jpg

Hi Rich,

Thanks for sending your files.  We have verified that they import the same way into a number of other programs (including Rhino that you mention) as they do in formZ.  It appears that Autodesk is doing something funny with the format to make things "less compatible" -- but we will see what we can do to accommodate these for the future.  

Thanks for sending your files. ;)

I often encounter the same thing when importing .fbx files from other sources. Objects import transformed relative to one another. It's usually an easy fix, unless one has many, many objects to put into place. Fbx exports from FormZ can also sometimes be problematic in regards to smooth objects. Sometimes they don't get translated. Converting to faceted fixes it.

Hi ENV,

If you ever have an issue that you can reproduce, please send the file and steps so we can make sure the issue is addressed.  We only just recently became aware of the translation issue based on response to this posting earlier this week.

We have not seen the issue with exporting Smooth objects that you mention.  Can you please send a FMZ file that contains a few such Smooth objects so we can test with this here?  If we can reproduce that issue too, then we can make sure that gets addressed as well. ;)

Thanks in advance... 

Archived