AutoDesSys

Export Progress Problems

DMclean

I'm using a MacPro, with OS X Yosemite and the latest version of formZ. Of late I've been having quite a few problems with OBJ exports with textures, but the issue I want to mention here is that the Progress Bar within Export is pretty much useless to me.

When I start and export with textures formZ first saves out all the textures. At this point nothing show in the progress bar, but that's okay. Once the actual objects start to export, the progress bar starts to move across and that seems fairly fine. The problem lies in the fact that quite often the bar will move al the way across (seeming to indicate that the export of objects is finished) and then nothing happens. At this point I don't know whether there has been a problem and I need to force quit, or just be very very patient.

If I go off and use another program while I am waiting and come back to check on formZ, the progress bar has often just gone grey (the blue bar has disappeared, but occasionally "flickers". In a very complex and heavily textured model (which seems the norm for me) there is no real indication if anything is happening. The icon in the dock will say formZ is not responding, and I'm often tempted to Force Quit. But sometimes if I just wait it out the Export will finish and all is well.

A simple non-textured export will zip along fine, perhaps taking 2 or 3 minutes and then it's done. The textured Export can take hours, and unfortunately I don't know whether it is progressing or just frozen somewhere because of a problem. Last night I left an export running overnight and it went nowhere. I've now split the model up and am importing bits at a time.

It would be nice to know that if the icon in the dock is saying formZ had stopped responding, that really means it has, and even better would be if the progress bar was a bit truer.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug,

Not Responding means that the program is not currently talking to the system, but does not necessarily indicate a problem.

Regarding textures, if you go to the File Menu: Project Info: Linked Files -- does that indicate that all files are linked properly?  And if not, does relinking them there, and / or going to the Preferences: Search Paths -- and removing all but the default / locked ones, does that affect the issue?

If not, we also tested a number of exports and are not reproducing what you report.  It sounds like this may be related to the type of files or objects you are working with.  Can you please send the file and textures so we can investigate this further?

Archived