AutoDesSys

Reflectivity

zeraxxes

Hello all

I had a quick look but couldn't find it discussed anywhere but I apologise if it has.

I've been using Formz for a little while now since switching from 3DS and V-Ray, I've almost figured out how to get it looking almost as good but I'm having some serious problems with reflectivity! It seems materials are either almost not reflective at all at 10% but insanely reflective at 11%, is there a way round this or can it be fixed? 

Thanks 

Matt 

Hi Matt,

In the RenderZone options, click the Raytrace Options button at the top.  There, reduce the Minimum Ray Contribution to a number lower than the desired minimum reflectivity of a surface you wish to use.

(Lower numbers will take more time to render, but will give more realistic results.)

Is that what you need?

In Display Options, Renderzone Options tab, Options... Button, adjust Minimum Ray Contribution to a lower number like 2 or 3.  It's default is set at 10 so when reflectivity in a material is set to 10 or less it does not reflect.  Setting it to 2 or 3 will allow it to reflect at settings down to 2 or 3.

Tech beat me while i was typing!

post-176-0-86599200-1470150637_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone, thanks for the help! 

It's kind of solved my problem but just out of interest I've attached an image below with a 1% ray contribution and 4 balls, all the same Renderzone material except with different reflectivity's at 1%,2%,5% and 10%. My slight niggle is that the difference in reflectivity between 1% and 2% is still too great to my eye, is there a way to reduce this further?

Thanks guys 

Matt 

post-18061-0-76618300-1470214996_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt,

We don't have the HDR image that you are using, but when we substitute a different image, we are getting VERY subtle reflections.  Perhaps there is something about your image that is causing this?  Can you zip and post that so we can try with your image?

Here's your file that we resaved, and a simple screen capture we used instead of your HDR image.  Do you get the subtle reflections with this file that you want?

post-5-0-97763900-1470237550_thumb.jpg

Reflectivity Test2.zip

Oh of course sorry, didn't even think about the HDRI, I've attached it below, it's pretty bright but I needed the brightness to get the shadows I wanted so maybe I did over it?

Honestly the screen cap wouldn't even work in the environment slot so I'm not sure but hopefully the attached will help? 

EDIT -- HDRI image Removed per user request (licensing compliance)

Thanks again :)

Morning Tech, 

Not really to be honest, if anything it makes it a little more prominent  :wacko:

I've attached the results below, exposure of the HDRI turned down twice.

But honestly mate at this point I'm being picky so if it is what it is that's fine, sure I can hold out till V-Ray  ;)

Matt 

post-18061-0-47184500-1470298058_thumb.jpg

post-18061-0-07169700-1470298062_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt,

Your HDR image is SUPER over exposed:

post-5-0-52096100-1470319206_thumb.jpg

You need to give it a normal exposure if you want normal results.  For example, if you set an exposure like this:

post-5-0-58497800-1470319102_thumb.jpg

Then you should get nice subtle reflections like this:

post-5-0-92143400-1470319102_thumb.jpg

And here are the files we used:

Reflectivity Test3.zip

EDIT -- HDRI image Removed per user request (licensing compliance)

Does that help?

Hey Tech 

Yeah I know it's over exposed but you need that to get the light unfortunately, It's an interesting situation for sure but I had a quick play and it turns out you can have the best of both worlds!

If you use the over exposed map in the environment light and the normal in the environment background you get the light and the normal reflections. 

So yeah should be sorted thanks mate.

post-18061-0-68291100-1470325081_thumb.jpg

Oh and sorry to be a pain but if you could delete the HDRI files we both uploaded that'd be great, anyone that uses them in paid work will be in breach of terms and I don't wanna get myself and others in trouble. 

Thanks again 

Matt 

Thanks Tech, really appreciated.

Yeah I've ended up using the normal exposed HDRI in the environment slot (in the Renderzone menu) but then to get enough light into my scene I'm using my modified over exposed HDRI in the light itself. Seems to work really nicely so next time I do an interior or something I'll chuck it up here if you like.

It's amazing how much HDRI's help Renderzone and visuals in general, just my two cents but it's something you guys should really push, I think a lot of people don't know what they are, let alone how to use them and what they do lol

Cheers again Tech

Hi Matt,

Instead of adjusting the HDRI image -- you can simply crank the intensity of the light.  Since an Environment light will shine in all (6 primary) directions, it is not unusual to set the Intensity of an Environment (or Line or Area) light to ~600% (or more if desired).

Yes, lighting and texturing do make a big difference to the reality of a rendered image!  Have you seen these videos?

http://www.formz.com/webinars/webinars_html/renderzone_tricks.html

http://www.formz.com/webinars/webinars_html/RenderingwithRenderzoneNew.html

And additional details are here (and of course in the manual too):

http://www.formz.com/webinars/webinars_html/RenderingwithRenderzoneNew.html

;)

Yeah that's true, I only really adjusted the image just to make it simpler for everyone else in the office to use and it doesn't seem to differ in the lighting setup thankfully lol. 

I saw the older rendering with renderzone video but I have no idea how i missed the newer tips one!! That is seriously useful information, where were you 3 months ago! haha.

Cheers again Tech 

Hey, Guess who's back :D lol.

Slightly different problem but still to do with reflectivity. So my colleague was trying to render a file over the network off my machine, on my machine the image comes out with lots of reflectivity in the floor (first attached image) and on her's it comes out almost flat (the 2nd image). I've checked all the settings are the same, materials, lighting etc so I'm stumped, any idea guys? 

(oh and ignore the blue that was the amend from the client lol)

Cheers 

Matt 

post-18061-0-04323200-1471001244_thumb.jpg

post-18061-0-26495900-1471001245_thumb.jpg

Archived