AutoDesSys

FormZ modeling, rendering and design services.

AHTOH

Anton, could you please put up some basic rules on the website?

I have some FZ files which use content brought in from free to distribute library models on archive3d.net

I don't want to be accused of plagiarism if I submit say a shoe rack taken from the Hafele downloads archive which I have added shoes into downloaded from archive3d.net, uniform-scaled, rotated and positioned accurately, it all takes time to find and assemble, but it was the kind possibly anonymous person who submitted the clever modelling of the shoes who has put the most effort into this. It could be useful to us certainly but do your rules allow such compositions? Also for both the model and any textures included, we can only assume no one has flouted a copyright rule along the way and we cannot be sure that whoever uploaded to archive3d.net was the originator of the model, or had permission to distribute with no strings attached.

What do others think about this?

Maybe it would be ok if we said 'some content from unknown sources' or even better state all known sources, and that we ensure we do not knowingly contravene a permission responsibility?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anton, could you please put up some basic rules on the website?

I have some FZ files which use content brought in from free to distribute library models on archive3d.net

I don't want to be accused of plagiarism if I submit say a shoe rack taken from the Hafele downloads archive which I have added shoes into downloaded from archive3d.net, uniform-scaled, rotated and positioned accurately, it all takes time to find and assemble, but it was the kind possibly anonymous person who submitted the clever modelling of the shoes who has put the most effort into this. It could be useful to us certainly but do your rules allow such compositions? Also for both the model and any textures included, we can only assume no one has flouted a copyright rule along the way and we cannot be sure that whoever uploaded to archive3d.net was the originator of the model, or had permission to distribute with no strings attached.

What do others think about this?

Maybe it would be ok if we said 'some content from unknown sources' or even better state all known sources, and that we ensure we do not knowingly contravene a permission responsibility?

Hello Alan.

Thank you for pointing my attention to this issue. However as far as I stated at front page, I respect people`s efforts in creating things and if some of copyright owners are having objections against their modes placement  on my site I would be glad to discuss it with them. Also here in Russia we don`t have this strict copyright laws and enforcement is not working the western way. So I believe I am going to have lots of troubles with it.

So you are welcome to submit this model and I will mention that it is originally from unknown source and you Alan made effort to modify and share it with me and I myself put it to my site and will keep responsibility.

It is a free site so generally it should be OK.....as long as otherwise commercial assets are not included as an asset or in any assembly.

Commercial assets are very different; plus things are hotting up on the viability of branded commercial assets.

http://www.solidsmack.com/cad-design-news/bmw-group-sues-turbosquid-for-selling-3d-models-of-their-car-designs/

How this pans out could change everyone's perspective on modelling and copyright......(tho' I've always had concerns about branded assets being sold under artist copyrights?....unauthorised copyright of a trademark copyright?)

It is a free site so generally it should be OK.....as long as otherwise commercial assets are not included as an asset or in any assembly.

Commercial assets are very different; plus things are hotting up on the viability of branded commercial assets.

http://www.solidsmack.com/cad-design-news/bmw-group-sues-turbosquid-for-selling-3d-models-of-their-car-designs/

How this pans out could change everyone's perspective on modelling and copyright......(tho' I've always had concerns about branded assets being sold under artist copyrights?....unauthorised copyright of a trademark copyright?)

Very interesting. In my opinion, BMW has acted foolishly over this, or greedily, or both. They seem to fail to recognise the honour of the situation, or perhaps they do and think it's worth trying to make some money out of it just through opportunism, but I think it is a negative publicity move on their part. If on the other hand there is risk that they can lose sales that would be a different matter. Perhaps they don't want to risk any association with images or companies who don't meet their standards......perhaps they should organise free car washes and wax polishes for life for all BMWs and not sell to anyone with a criminal record or who fails some sort of points system. I think BMW have taken a ridiculous stand on this.

Alan,

I do not think it is a money issue for BMW.....rather it is control of their brand.....Why should they choose to accept or observe an attempt to release models of their brands and trademark under a third party copyright agreement? ....or indeed allow a third party to profit off the BMW brand?

BMW have the right to licence their trade mark or prohibit the usage of their mark.....(they have currently not taken issue with individuals or other model sites)......it could be that they are just not happy with this particular companies business plan?

I assume some sort of deal is under discussion.....but BMW do hold all the legal cards.

Anyway...it is what it is.....It'll be interesting to see the outcome.

.........and a big thank you to Anton for providing a much needed resource,

New chapter "Furniture details" added. Models submitted by Alan Cooper.

Thank you Alan.

Anton, thank you,

I think it is worth mentioning that for the shoe racks, they are designed around the readily available telescopic design Hafele rack: 892.12.906 for wall or door mounting which is why I attached the diagram from their catalogue. It should encourage more sales for Hafele. post-242-0-26407900-1471885678_thumb.jpg

The drawer is designed around the soft closing under-mounted concealed type of runner available from Blum and Grass

but fitted in a slightly different way to usual, because I prefer it, so only cut out slots are required at the back instead of front and back

which requires the drawer box to be deeper by the thickness of the drawer box front. 

It is fair that I point that out in case a user wonders why the drawerbox is deeper than the standard 490mm for 500mm runners. Less work to make and deeper = 2 advantages.

Of course, in FormZ it is eazy peazy to adjust the drawer box to other sizes by area selecting and moving segments in wire frame display.

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies and gentlemen.

Allow me to recommend you free file sharing service Ge.tt. They not only don`t allow files in size more than 6 Megs but also do not check files for viruses. So when I complained for Chrome warnings which don`t let me and you to download from their server they wrote "We have a lot of viruses uploaded by our users so just disable warnings in Chrome and go on downloading" When I noticed that my site is losing clients and that is no way to do business and I will have to move somewhere else they replied "No problem — your account already deleted". GOOD JOB!

So my apologies for inconvenience most of files will be unavailable for download for some time.

Best regards,

Anton. 

Eh well, I didn't design it Anton. Modelled it from a photo of one near where I live...  :wacko:  ;)

Des

Oh! Sorry I was not attentive enough.

Besides your bench is in the Various section.

Thank you.

Anton

• 2 weeks later...

Referring to my earlier post about potential copyright issues with 'branded' models.

BMW have dismissed their action against Turbosquid.

https://fieldofdivision.com/2016/08/27/bmw-dismisses-design-patent-lawsuit-against-turbosquid/

Still means they can reactivate the suit.....so lots of unanswered questions. Currently Turbosquid have not reinstated any of the brand models....which may suggest some sort of agreement may be in the works?

Hopefully, this will lead to clear guidelines and more happy modelling days without any fears of draconian (or financial) impositions on the 3d artist.

Anton,

Just wanted to give a quick thanks for helping me out doing the detailing for the product displays.  While I was out of town, the client chose one of the styles and I needed to get things started for production and your drawings for exactly what I needed.

Thanks again!

-doyle

• 2 weeks later...

Some news from formz.xyz

Texturing and materials:

As you might noticed free models do not include textures and materials.

If you need to have any model with textures or Maxwell/Thea materials it is going to be as low as $10 per model. If model was submitted by another user I will send a half of the amount to him/her.

Archived