10 replies to this topic

#1 kimmo

kimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

Thea website recommends for Mac:

System Requirements: MacOSX 10.6 and above, Intel/AMD CPU. For Presto GPU: Nvidia CUDA graphics card (CUDA 6.5, Compute Capability 2.0 or higher). form•Z 8, 8.5 (Free, Jr or Pro)

My question is about GPU and how you MAC user have death with that? Would older ATI Radeon work?

Thanks,

Kimmo

#2 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russian Federation

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hi Kummo.

Actually Thea can render at what you have (GPU+CPU, CPU only). Unfortunately you will not have ultra fast GPU interactive rendering. What Mac you have? Is it trash can or older MacPro?

Anton Voloshin,

architect, interior designer, product designer.

#3 manolis

manolis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

Hi Kimmo,

What Anton said is right but rendering will be based only on CPU if there are no Nvidia cards available.

Support for AMD cards through OpenCL is planned for a future release.

#4 kimmo

kimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:03 PM

HI Anton and Manolis,

I have MacPro 5.1. I tried to hack it by putting mac-rated Nvidia card in it but formz started acting up so I had to pull it out. Tried to do all the tricks to get it going but no luck.

Good to know about the CPU/GPU render, I will order Thea then soon.

Kimmo

#5 Justin Montoya

Justin Montoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:16 PM

Kimmo-

I'm using a Mac Nvidia GTX 680.  It works great for both FormZ and Thea using the Nvidia Web driver and CUDA driver installed separately.  It's getting a little old now, and there are faster cards for rendering, but I am waiting until we get drivers for the new GTX 1070 and GTX 1080, which should work fine in our Mac Pro 5.1.  In the meantime, you should also be able to use newer cards like the GTX 970, 980, or 980 ti in the 5.1 Mac Pro for rendering with Thea using CUDA acceleration.

Hope that helps!

• AHTOH likes this

#6 DMclean

DMclean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

Hi Kimmo,

I have the same MacPro and have a similar situation. I've been using a GTX980Ti with varying luck. For the most part is seems pretty well behaved using the Nvidia Web Drivers and CUDa as Justin suggests, but every once in a while formZ and it seem to disagree (usually at critical deadline times) and I wind up pulling the card and throwing my old Radeons back in. Even with the Radeons though I am pretty impressed with the speed and results of Thea when using its biased engines. At HD res this render was about 45 minutes. At 4000x2250 it was about 1 hr 45 minutes. Scene is completely lit by the candles and some IBL flames in the fireplace. I've been working on and off with the Thea Beta since it came out and I'm getting more comfortable with it and am extremely happy.

The exact Nvidia problems are really hard to track down. As I said it is stable most of the time and I'm thrilled with the card when it is working. I'm still running Yosemite, and perhaps it is more stable with El Capitain but I hate doing OS updates unless I have a good chunk of time to sort out the problems, and there are always problems.

Heartily endorse Thea for formZ. Each new release of the beta gets better and better.

Doug

2sm.jpg

Edited by DMclean, 13 July 2016 - 10:21 AM.

• AHTOH, Andy and Justin Montoya like this

#7 DMclean

DMclean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

Oops... The time of 1hr 45 minutes mentioned in my previous post was for the image at 3000x1687. Time for a 4000x225 render was actually about 3hr 5 minutes...

Sorry for my error.

Doug

#8 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:51 AM

Looks great Doug, thanks for sharing!

#9 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russian Federation

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

Hello Doug.

This render and design looks fantastic! Thank`s for sharing.

Anton.

Anton Voloshin,

architect, interior designer, product designer.

#10 DMclean

DMclean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

Thanks Anton,

It's nice to get back to working with Thea again after a couple of months away. Even using the Radeon's the program is pretty nice. If I get some time I may try to put the Nvidia back in with this project and see what the speed differences are like. I just had a few problems with crashes on the project before this one that were fixed by switching back to the AMD cards, and haven't had a chance to try re-installing the Nvidia yet.

Doug

• AHTOH likes this

#11 parkingSpot

parkingSpot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:29 AM

Thanks Doug for sharing. It is really helpful.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users