• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:02 PM

Andre,

We added you to the beta today. According to iTunes Connect an email was sent to you already. Look for an email from "TestFlight" or "iTunes". It might be in your Junk mail folder.

#22 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado, USA

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:11 PM

1. I have noticed that two finger panning is sometimes inconsistent.  It sort of starts and stops and does not seem fluid at times.  iPad Pro.

2.  Shadows are still quite poor and really obvious.  I built a simple model for testing.  I hope FormZ 9 can solve this issue.  Jagged edges and also issues where the shadow meets the object edge.  See attached edges.  Ground plane is set to not cast shadows.  

Picture 6.jpg Picture 5.jpg Picture 2.jpg Picture 3.jpg Picture 4.jpg Picture.jpg

3.  A dimension tool would be very useful. 

4.  I would assume when adding clipping planes and views that they would be saved.  When I close and reopen the file no new views or clipping planes are present.   

5.  Ambient Occlusion created some "interesting results" in my test model:

Picture 7.jpg

6.  I am not sure what "Silhouettes" does?  Nothing seems to happen when I choose it.

7.  I also do not see "Multi-Sampling" doing much.  Could be my model is too simplistic?

Edited by ASONE, 18 April 2016 - 03:22 PM.

• Chris lund likes this

FormZ PRO v8.5.  2017 iMac 4.0 GHz quad core i7 24MB RAM and a 2015 Macbook Pro quad core i7 16MB RAM, Modern Architecture in Boulder and Denver Colorado www.ASONEarchitecture.com 

#23 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for your report. Here is some feedback:

1. We have observed this as well. Seems to be a tolerance issue. Panning woks best when your fingers are closer together. We hope to improve this.

2. What do you have the Shadow map setting set to in the .fmz file? This will affect the Shadow quality. We do not have access to this in the App at this time.

3. Do you mean the measure tool or do you want to add dimensions to the model?

4. We currently do not save the model as its a bit dangerous. Not all of the .fmz data is supported in the Viewer App (ACIS for example). If the file were returned to the original machine and was to overwrite the original file it would not be good. We are considering adding a new file extension for files saved from the viewer (.fmv) ar a way to preserve the additional information on the App only.

5-7 we are still evaluating the viability of these options in the mobile App (this is what a beta is all about!). iOS uses OpenGL ES which is a bit different than full OpenGL found on OS X (although they are getting closer with each new ES version) and the mobile graphics cards do not support all of the features of a desktop/laptop card. This means that we do not have as much accuracy with some features (Ambient Occlusion) and others may not be needed at all (like Multi-Sampling on a retina display).

#24 Andre Conlledo

Andre Conlledo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

Andre,

We added you to the beta today. According to iTunes Connect an email was sent to you already. Look for an email from "TestFlight" or "iTunes". It might be in your Junk mail folder.

It's not in my Junk mail folder. I sent a new email from a different account but that too didn't work. My friend sent the email at the same time and she got a link almost immediately -- can I use the same link without affecting her?

#25 Andre Conlledo

Andre Conlledo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:47 PM

I just received it!

#26 archigraphica

archigraphica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:23 AM

This has been on my "need' list for years so nice job guys!

Walk through is a necessity.

I work 100% off of Dropbox these days so that integration is very important for me & my clients. Being able to share a file for review with a client offsite through a dropbox link will be fantastic.

Now to my issue:  I'm trying to load a file through Google drive & iCloud drive.  21mb.  I can see it in Google but it's greyed out and it doesn't even show up in the iCloud.  Any ideas?

thanks,

....also I didn't see anywhere to put the activation code in from the email?

Edited by archigraphica, 19 April 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#27 archigraphica

archigraphica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:56 PM

OK, no luck with either icloud or google drive.  I can now see the files in icloud but when I click on it to open it up nothing happens. Google drive is still greyed out.

Now if I email myself a file that will open in the viewer.

#28 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationWestcliffe Colorado

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

archigraphica:  They probably have to update the app.   i get the same on iCloud, I can see it fine, but doesn't load.

Tech, will we be notified here for updates?  or just keep checking the app Store?

Cheers!

Christopher Lund

Neurascenic - Industrial Design

#29 etroxel

etroxel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:03 PM

Silhouettes aren't working here either. Also, when turning on Edges, they don't appear globally. Ambient occlusion is giving very odd results.

IMG_0017.PNG

IMG_0018.PNG

#30 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:06 PM

We posted beta 1.13 today. This should fix the iCloud/Google drive access of files (and maybe DropBox but the this less likely to be fully resolved). We also fixed a few crashes that have been reported. We are still working with the suggestions and on some of the rendering issues. Hopefully we will have another update early next week.

If you have installed v1.12, you should receive a notification from TestFlight that the updated app is ready. New installations will be v1.13.

• Chris lund likes this

#31 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

I would like to measure distance only, not add dimensions.

Understood about #4-7 

Ideally it would be nice to somehow save views & clipping planes as once setup it is annoying to have to go back and do it again every time you reopen the file.  However, that this sounds easier said than done so far.

What does the "Edit" option do when looking at all the files?  Nothing happens when I choose it.

So far iTunes has worked back and forth.  AirDrop import has worked for me.  Exporting images from iPad to Mac has not worked.  A personal plug to make it somehow compatible with Good Reader.   :)

Hard to believe Apple still insists on using it as the file management tool and has not implemented a "Finder" app...like the one that was worked for 30+ years on all Macs.  

Shadows are better with Gigantic map, but still leave a lot to be desired.  I still can't use Massive setting on my Mac Mini or Macbook Pro.  Both graphics cards are not optimal for FormZ.  Perhaps Massive will yield better results.  Attached are Gigantic setting images:

These render the same in desktop FormZ on my machine.  Try doing a trellis or something of that nature...not good.  Here is a wood 2"x2" trellis with 6"x6" beams casting shadows on the facade of a house.  Soft shadows does little to help.  It does knock down the jagged edge some, but there is still this issue where the shadow meets the object.   

gigantic.png soft.png trellis shadows gigantic soft.png trellis shadows gigantic.png

FormZ PRO v8.5.  2017 iMac 4.0 GHz quad core i7 24MB RAM and a 2015 Macbook Pro quad core i7 16MB RAM, Modern Architecture in Boulder and Denver Colorado www.ASONEarchitecture.com 

#32 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:11 PM

additional images:

Picture 2.jpg Picture 3.jpg Picture.jpg

shadows gigantic soft copy.jpg shadows gigantic trellis copy.jpg trellis copy.jpg

Edited by ASONE, 20 April 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#33 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:38 PM

iCloud works for me, and yep, db still not.

Thanks!

Christopher Lund

#34 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:45 PM

ASONE, I think the edit is suppose see to,allow you to remove models from storage, doesn't work for me either.

Love Good Reader

greed, iTunes for everything is ridiculous. All that functionality should be just built into the finder.

Regarding your shadows, how large is your ground plane? The overall size of the scene seems to have an effect on shadow quality.

Edited by Chris lund, 20 April 2016 - 05:50 PM.

Christopher Lund

#35 etroxel

etroxel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:38 PM

One issue I see in this app is that the camera works the same way as it does in fZ, which is as expected. But this makes walking through an architectural model impossible with the current reverse-pinch gesture. It doesn't take long to get to the COI, so moving through a space doesn't work. Having views saved to walk through kind of defeats the purpose. We really need some way to navigate through a space like how the 3dconnexion device disregards the COI and just moves the entire camera rig. 

• ASONE and palarsen like this

#36 etroxel

etroxel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

Request: I'd like the ability to save scenes. Having views is definitely nice, but being able to adjust render style, lighting, layers, and views on the iPad itself to recall later would be a great feature. Is this planned?

#37 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:22 PM

Chris - Ground plane for that project is the size of a typical suburban house lot.  I tried to set everything on the ground to not cast shadows.  

Glad someone agrees with me about iTunes.  I wrote Apple feedback requesting a "finder" app for the iPad...I'm sure they will listen! 

+1 on ability to "walk" through the model somehow.  

#38 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:28 PM

I was finally able to use Shaded Full Massive shadow setting and it looks much better for shadow edge quality and where it meets the object.  Maybe I will stop complaining and finally get a machine with a faster graphics card as it barely can render the scene with my puny graphics card.

However, when I bring the file into the iPad viewer the sun angle has changed.  See attached images...

iPad view.PNG FormZ view.png

Clearly also all my texture maps are not transferring over as I have previously mentioned.

Bumps is acting as Multi-Sample currently as far as I can tell.  Lines look much crisper with it on.

Would be great to be able to change sun position to alter shadows

Edited by ASONE, 26 April 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#39 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

Any chance Hidden Line could be incorporated as well?

• Chris lund likes this

#40 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:48 PM

Could you send the file that you posted the images from to beta@formz.com so we can investigate further.

The viewer only uses embedded textures so be sure the Keep Textures option is selected from the Project File tab of the Project Settings (accessed from the File menu).

We hope to be able to add more rendering modes in the future as well as adding sun control.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: viewer, ipad, iphone, beta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users