AutoDesSys

Call for beta testers: form•Z mobile viewer for iPad and iPhone

Tech

We posted an updated app (v1.20) today with number of performance improvements plus Silhouettes are now working. 

The most common issue that has been reported via email is problems opening larger model files. Unfortunately mobile devices do not have the virtually unlimited memory resources of OS X desktop and laptop machines. The memory that affects the ability to load models in the viewer is the device’s RAM (as opposed the flash storage, which can be confusing). Wikipedia has a fairly complete set of hardware specs here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices. The iPad Pro (12.9 inch) has the most RAM (4 GB) of all iOS devices and should give better results with larger models.

Our focus in the last few weeks has been to find ways to conserve memory in the app without degrading graphics performance. We have made a lot of progress and we expect that v1.20 will open many files that would not open in previous versions.

We are looking into the suggestions for the measure and walk tools. Drop box appears to be out of our control as from the app side it does not appear any different that iCloud, but we will continue to investigate.

Apple has approved the app so we expect to make the 1.0 release of the formZ Mobile Viewer for iPad/iPhone soon. Please send/post any additional feedback as soon as possible.

We are looking for images to promote the viewer. If you are able to send us some screen shots of your models in the viewer that would be great. Be sure to include the attributions so that we can properly credit the work. To capture the screen image to your photo library, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and then press and release the home button. Please email these to beta@formz.com.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evan,

That's really weird but your file just totally disappeared after stalling in the iPad after I opened the multilayers and selected "Window trimmings" that was off - it went into wireframe mode. On trying to change the render mode 'turn on silhouettes - it just froze. It came back momentarily then 'quit' but the file also disappeared, not only from iCloud drive but even as if it was ever downloaded - Weird...!

Rob

Hi,

using an IPad AIr and the latest Beta version.

My PC has FormZ Render Zone Plus v.6.7.3. installed.

Sadly, I cannot open any files from the ICloud dirve, not even a tiny test file with just three cubes.

I get the notfication "Insufficient memory to open file" which can hardly be the case.

Any ideas for a workaround?

I would like to present some work with the app on Thursday.

Thanks in advance,

Suedpol

Hi Suedpol,

Thanks for sending the file.  Yes, only current versions of the formZ file format are supported with the viewer, so you will need to save the file with formZ v7 or newer in order to use it with the viewer.

Understood.

So my Renderzone license is not performing on the Viewer platform.

Upgrade to Pro is not appropriate for the moment.

Will the 6.7.2 files open in Free and will the file version saved from there work in the Viewer?

Archived