AutoDesSys

Call for beta testers: form•Z mobile viewer for iPad and iPhone

Tech

This has been on my "need' list for years so nice job guys!

Walk through is a necessity.

I work 100% off of Dropbox these days so that integration is very important for me & my clients. Being able to share a file for review with a client offsite through a dropbox link will be fantastic.

Now to my issue:  I'm trying to load a file through Google drive & iCloud drive.  21mb.  I can see it in Google but it's greyed out and it doesn't even show up in the iCloud.  Any ideas?

thanks,

....also I didn't see anywhere to put the activation code in from the email?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We posted beta 1.13 today. This should fix the iCloud/Google drive access of files (and maybe DropBox but the this less likely to be fully resolved). We also fixed a few crashes that have been reported. We are still working with the suggestions and on some of the rendering issues. Hopefully we will have another update early next week.

If you have installed v1.12, you should receive a notification from TestFlight that the updated app is ready. New installations will be v1.13.

I would like to measure distance only, not add dimensions.

Understood about #4-7 

Ideally it would be nice to somehow save views & clipping planes as once setup it is annoying to have to go back and do it again every time you reopen the file.  However, that this sounds easier said than done so far.

What does the "Edit" option do when looking at all the files?  Nothing happens when I choose it.

So far iTunes has worked back and forth.  AirDrop import has worked for me.  Exporting images from iPad to Mac has not worked.  A personal plug to make it somehow compatible with Good Reader.   :)

Hard to believe Apple still insists on using it as the file management tool and has not implemented a "Finder" app...like the one that was worked for 30+ years on all Macs.  

Shadows are better with Gigantic map, but still leave a lot to be desired.  I still can't use Massive setting on my Mac Mini or Macbook Pro.  Both graphics cards are not optimal for FormZ.  Perhaps Massive will yield better results.  Attached are Gigantic setting images:

These render the same in desktop FormZ on my machine.  Try doing a trellis or something of that nature...not good.  Here is a wood 2"x2" trellis with 6"x6" beams casting shadows on the facade of a house.  Soft shadows does little to help.  It does knock down the jagged edge some, but there is still this issue where the shadow meets the object.   

post-31-0-59138300-1461186335_thumb.pngpost-31-0-94038600-1461186341_thumb.pngpost-31-0-13258800-1461186348_thumb.pngpost-31-0-56970700-1461186353_thumb.png

ASONE, I think the edit is suppose see to,allow you to remove models from storage, doesn't work for me either.

Love Good Reader

greed, iTunes for everything is ridiculous. All that functionality should be just built into the finder.

Regarding your shadows, how large is your ground plane? The overall size of the scene seems to have an effect on shadow quality.

One issue I see in this app is that the camera works the same way as it does in fZ, which is as expected. But this makes walking through an architectural model impossible with the current reverse-pinch gesture. It doesn't take long to get to the COI, so moving through a space doesn't work. Having views saved to walk through kind of defeats the purpose. We really need some way to navigate through a space like how the 3dconnexion device disregards the COI and just moves the entire camera rig. 

Chris - Ground plane for that project is the size of a typical suburban house lot.  I tried to set everything on the ground to not cast shadows.  

Glad someone agrees with me about iTunes.  I wrote Apple feedback requesting a "finder" app for the iPad...I'm sure they will listen! 

+1 on ability to "walk" through the model somehow.  

I was finally able to use Shaded Full Massive shadow setting and it looks much better for shadow edge quality and where it meets the object.  Maybe I will stop complaining and finally get a machine with a faster graphics card as it barely can render the scene with my puny graphics card.

However, when I bring the file into the iPad viewer the sun angle has changed.  See attached images...

post-31-0-85868000-1461691562_thumb.pngpost-31-0-87415700-1461691610_thumb.png

Clearly also all my texture maps are not transferring over as I have previously mentioned.

Bumps is acting as Multi-Sample currently as far as I can tell.  Lines look much crisper with it on.

Would be great to be able to change sun position to alter shadows

Could you send the file that you posted the images from to beta@formz.com so we can investigate further.

The viewer only uses embedded textures so be sure the Keep Textures option is selected from the Project File tab of the Project Settings (accessed from the File menu).

We hope to be able to add more rendering modes in the future as well as adding sun control.

• 2 weeks later...

The beta viewer was updated today to v1.14. This version includes walkthrough and measure tools that have been requested by a number of testers. This version also includes a number of bug fixes and improvements. Look for an email from Apple's TestFlight or launch the TestFlight app.

Enjoy!  

All seems to better in R1.14 but I still can't seem to open any of my files saved to iCloud - they just don't appear. Although appear in the iCloud.com directory?

Also Walkthrough is useful but how do you control the speed and if you get lost is there reset ( to find yourself ) and how do you move up stairs like in 'living room' example. Is there a way of tilting upwards?

really cool news.  

would be great to have Apple Pencil support and be able to add notes on top of images.  I export views and do this in other apps, but could be a nice feature.

As an Android platform Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 user, I print views to PDF and annotate using XODO which works well on that device.

What I miss most in the pdf, even more than being able to zoom, set view and pan etc, and the reason I need to keep the laptop handy with FormZ open in my workshop during manufacture of the furniture which I have designed using FormZ, is to be able to hover over a part to get the popup message which declares what the part name, and serial number are. I hope that hover over with pop up feature is included, for FormZ tablet app, at least until labs provides a plugin which will automatically create serial number balloons for all selected parts in a view, or FormZ has a specific tool to do that, to include the labelling in a pdf file.

Great to see walking tool implemented.

To make it even better:

Walk on geometry. Like floors and stairs and ramps. Hight 170cm? Average hight of human

Double tap could mean "stand there" or "go to there" unlike the "fit view" in the orbit tool.

Some lock, so you can stand still and look around without moving.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for adding walk around and measure tools!  They are working great for me.  

Edit function also working for deleting models.

Some of my previously loaded models crash now when I try to see Shaded Full render.  It could be ones with Gigantic or Massive shadow setting.  

Multi-Sample still does not seem to do anything.  

Ambient Occlusion still gives odd results.

Would it be possible to add custom backgrounds for Shaded Work or Shaded Full renders?  I often drop in a gradient image or one with sky/ground/trees that are project specific.  Attached is an example from FormZ desktop.

post-31-0-00712500-1464814074_thumb.pngpost-31-0-00712500-1464814074_thumb.png

Downloaded the update today.  June 7

I'm not sure Silhouettes is doing anything for me in any render mode.

Distance tool is a bit hard to use.  Could it be possible to have the zoom window on the first point as well?  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived