Photo

Thea for FormZ - Now Available

thea render rendering gpu rendering unbiased rendering integration plugin open beta

22 replies to this topic

#1 giannis

giannis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

Dear friends,

we are very happy to announce that the first open beta version of Thea for FormZ is now available!
theaformzbanner.jpg

For those not familiar with Thea Render, it is a physically-based render engine being developed for over 5 years with very high quality unbiased render modes as well as GPU rendering. Our integrated render engine brings the power of Thea inside FormZ package, supporting FormZ 8 and 8.5, Pro, Junior and Free versions on Windows and MacOSX. It supports instancing, material presets, various light types, shadow catcher and many other features, in both production and interactive render modes.

You can find more info and download the integration at our dedicated landing page. The integration runs in demo mode with all the features of the licensed one (except for the resolution limitation and watermarks). You can also take advantage of the open beta phase and buy the plugin bundled with Thea Studio, with 20% discount.

To get started with the plugin, please check out our introductory tutorial below.

Kind Regards

Edited by giannis, 12 April 2016 - 08:15 AM.

• Des, etroxel, Justin Montoya and 3 others like this

#2 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

Great!

Thanks Giannis!

#3 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Wow that looks very promising indeed - thanks.

2 stupid questions for a start:

Will buying the Thea special now eliminate the watermark while open beta already ?

The darkroom renders with presto modes but I havent installed CUDA yet - does it only use the cpu then  ?

(CUDA drivers is a "must" and will increase performance ?)

(OSX Yosemite, GeForce GTX 760)

#4 giannis

giannis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:22 PM

Hi, see my answers below.

2 stupid questions for a start:

There is no such a thing as stupid question ;)

Will buying the Thea special now eliminate the watermark while open beta already ?

Of course.

The darkroom renders with presto modes but I havent installed CUDA yet - does it only use the cpu then  ?

(CUDA drivers is a "must" and will increase performance ?)

(OSX Yosemite, GeForce GTX 760)

First, you don't need CUDA package installed, what you need is an updated graphics driver (supporting CUDA 6.5).

BUT, this is not necessary in order to run Thea; all the unbiased modes TR1/TR2 plus the biased AMC/BSD modes run on CPU.

Presto also runs on the CPU - if you have a NVidia GPU even better, then Presto can run on both CPU and GPU.

Best wishes

#5 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

So just to understand this further, to make full use of presto, Nvidia osx drivers have to be installed ("web drivers")?
If not installed, gpu is not used together with cpu?
Another question- since the presto uses all cores it makes working in FormZ very slow while presto is running.
Is the "studio" designed so that it renders standalone, leaving ressources to continue working in Z while rendering?
(Havent found time to try studio yet...)
Thanks

#6 giannis

giannis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:33 AM

So just to understand this further, to make full use of presto, Nvidia osx drivers have to be installed ("web drivers")?
If not installed, gpu is not used together with cpu?

I am not sure about the "web drivers", you can download a driver supporting CUDA 6.5 and above from NVidia archives:

And yes, Thea Presto engine will run on whatever is available. If GPU is not there, it will run only the CPU. If you want also your GPU to contribute, then proper driver has to be installed. So, if driver is not installed, GPU will not be used together with CPU.

Another question- since the presto uses all cores it makes working in FormZ very slow while presto is running.
Is the "studio" designed so that it renders standalone, leaving ressources to continue working in Z while rendering?

Any of the engines (and particular Presto if it runs on both CPU & GPU), will take resources out of your system. Using another application at the same time and trying to make real work will be sluggish. The workaround here is to lower the priority of the Thea in order to leave resources for the modeling work.

Thea Studio works as a standalone application (and it is bundled with FormZ plugin, so you get both). There are some differences in response mostly due to how the operating system itself allocates resources to different processes (FormZ & Studio running) compared to allocating resources to different threads within the same process (FormZ & Integration running inside). In most cases, it will be somewhat better using the Studio if you want to work in parallel with FormZ (assuming the operating system gives less resources to background processes - which is true by default) but not really that much.

Best wishes

#7 pipo

pipo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:00 AM

Giannis

We already have 3 Thea licenses running sketchup plugins (the plug ins were separate purchases before)

Is the fz plug in available as a separate purchase/product ?

Or do we have to buy a bundle ?  This would not be viable.....

#8 pipo

pipo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:01 AM

edit

Edited by pipo, 13 April 2016 - 05:04 AM.

#9 giannis

giannis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:05 AM

We already have 3 Thea licenses running sketchup plugins (the plug ins were separate purchases before)

Is the fz plug in available as a separate purchase/product ?

Or do we have to buy a bundle ?  This would not be viable.....

Of course, you can buy FormZ plugin as an "upgrade" plugin to your existing Thea for SU licenses. ;)

Here is the related e-shop link:

https://www.thearend...de-license.html

Especially during open beta, this is just 35 euros per FormZ plugin license (it will go to 100 euros after open beta)*.

Best wishes

* Please note that all prices listed here are net prices at the time of writing.

Edited by giannis, 13 April 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#10 HelenGreene

HelenGreene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:13 AM

Great. Surely I will download it.

#11 tcamco

tcamco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:27 AM

Will Thea Render and Maxwell Render ever be included in Form Z's Imager software? Or will Thea Render make it possible to launch multiple copies of Darkroom so more than one image can render simultaneously as Maxwell Render? I love the results and the speed of Thea Render. The results are very close to Maxwell in most cases in a fraction of the time. I bought the software as soon as it was available.

#12 manolis

manolis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

Will Thea Render and Maxwell Render ever be included in Form Z's Imager software? Or will Thea Render make it possible to launch multiple copies of Darkroom so more than one image can render simultaneously as Maxwell Render? I love the results and the speed of Thea Render. The results are very close to Maxwell in most cases in a fraction of the time. I bought the software as soon as it was available.

Hi tcamco,

We have plans for a batch tool, it is not something that will be available in the next release though. 

#13 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:46 AM

great plugin, a nice render engine and very well integrated into FZ! i love the in-viewport rendering! i also have a few questions:

first about GPU support and network rendering. i'm based on mac and have a geforce 980ti card on the main mac pro, but as i am also rendering a lot in octane, i have a separate GPU expander box connected to a networked PC with windows as well. is there any wqay to use those extra 5 GPU's with thea? if yes, what would be the licensing cost in this case? i am only interested in using thea with FZ for now.

a feature request about cameras: i noticed that no shift lens camera is supported - if so, will this be in a future update? i'm using it quite a lot in FZ.

cheers

markus

3dworks visual computing + photography

#14 manolis

manolis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:25 AM

Hi Markus,

You can check in the plugin [Display Options > Presto AO (or MC) > Devices panel] or in Thea Studio [Customize menu > Devices...] if the GPU's are detected properly (CUDA 6.5 required).

About licensing, the Thea for form Z bundle standard license includes two node licenses you can use (besides the plugin and the standalone Studio licenses).

Regarding shift lens, it is available inside Thea Studio (properties of the selected camera), adding the relevant parameters in the plugin as well is being considered.

Regards,

Manolis

#15 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

Hi Markus,

You can check in the plugin [Display Options > Presto AO (or MC) > Devices panel] or in Thea Studio [Customize menu > Devices...] if the GPU's are detected properly (CUDA 6.5 required).

About licensing, the Thea for form Z bundle standard license includes two node licenses you can use (besides the plugin and the standalone Studio licenses).

Regarding shift lens, it is available inside Thea Studio (properties of the selected camera), adding the relevant parameters in the plugin as well is being considered.

Regards,

Manolis

yes they are detected and i can see in my hardware monitor tool that they are both used well!

great news about the render nodes. is testing of the network rendering also possible with the demo?

great to see the shift lens to be considered in the plugin! FZ calls this more from an engineering point of view a "2 point perspective" in their camera settings.

thank you for the support and cheers

markus

#16 manolis

manolis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:06 AM

is testing of the network rendering also possible with the demo?

Hi Markus,

It is. Set a network mode (Display Options > Rendering > Distribution) and then start rendering in the Darkroom. In the other machine(s) launch Thea Client instances and configure each one to connect to the server machine.

• 3dworks likes this

#17 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

maybe i didn't setup this correctly, but i set display options > rendering > distribution to 'server' on my mac and try to see the remote windows based server (all in demo mode), but under the 'network log' tab in darkroom there is nothing listed. on the remote pc, i started thea studio, went to menu help > remote server and hit 'start', then OK.

am i doing anything wrong?

kind regards

markus

Edited by 3dworks, 10 November 2016 - 12:44 PM.

#18 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russian Federation

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:10 AM

maybe i didn't setup this correctly, but i set display options > rendering > distribution to 'server' on my mac and try to see the remote windows based server (all in demo mode), but under the 'network log' tab in darkroom there is nothing listed. on the remote pc, i started thea studio, went to menu help > remote server and hit 'start', then OK.

am i doing anything wrong?

kind regards

markus

Did you use Server Beacon? Also you need manually start slave app on remote computer. It does not start itself. If you did net rendering is starting automatically when you say Thea to render over network.

Best,

Anton.

Anton Voloshin,

architect, interior designer, product designer.

#19 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:54 AM

sorry, very busy lately here so i could not get back or check thea for some time, but thanks for the tip! yes i tried the server beacon but maybe i missed to start that slave app on the remote server. i thought it is enough to start the main application for that - or is this what you mean. i will check through the instructions again and follow up here later...

cheers

markus

#20 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:41 AM

ok, reread the manual, rechecked all settings, no go. just to resume what i did:

i set the firewall on my windows 7 pro server to let thea application go through all protocols

on mac side, i set firewall and little snitch to let thea and formz pass through all protocols

1) launched thea application on windows machine.

2) in 'help' menu i activated the server with default settings.

3) i activated the server beacon.

4) i open FZ with a scene.

5) i go to darkroom and check network log: nothing listed.

5) i open thea application on mac and got o darkroom/network log: nothing here as well.

any suggestions?

cheers

markus

Edited by 3dworks, 24 November 2016 - 05:42 AM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thea render, rendering, gpu rendering, unbiased rendering, integration, plugin, open beta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users