#1 Des

Des

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

This is very interesting, another rendering option for FormZ! Congratulations.

I wonder if you could answer a few of my queries about the plugin? I haven't tried Thea out yet but I am very curious.

Materials: I have many renderzone and maxwell materials, will it be possible to somehow convert them to Thea or will I have to start from scratch? I see you have a Substance converter already (also very interesting, I shall look into that!)

Instances: I'd like to know a little more about how Thea instances are handle in FormZ. Can components be converted to instances? Can Thea instances be used as components i.e.. placed in FormZ and be visible such as mxd placements in Maxwell. The ability to useFormZ components to instances would be ideal. I think Maxwell are looking into that for Fz components. Not having to have the actual geometry in a file but just placeholders would be the idea so workability of a large model is good.

File sizes: When file get big, how does Thea handle the conversion?

Align to camera for animations: At present Maxwell can't do this, i.e.. to have the component or element which are continuously facing an animated camera during a Thea animation.

As soon as it available, I'll download the beta/demo to try it out and if I like I'll buy.

Regards,

Des

#2 manolis

manolis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

This is very interesting, another rendering option for FormZ! Congratulations.

I wonder if you could answer a few of my queries about the plugin? I haven't tried Thea out yet but I am very curious.

Materials: I have many renderzone and maxwell materials, will it be possible to somehow convert them to Thea or will I have to start from scratch? I see you have a Substance converter already (also very interesting, I shall look into that!)

Instances: I'd like to know a little more about how Thea instances are handle in FormZ. Can components be converted to instances? Can Thea instances be used as components i.e.. placed in FormZ and be visible such as mxd placements in Maxwell. The ability to useFormZ components to instances would be ideal. I think Maxwell are looking into that for Fz components. Not having to have the actual geometry in a file but just placeholders would be the idea so workability of a large model is good.

File sizes: When file get big, how does Thea handle the conversion?

Align to camera for animations: At present Maxwell can't do this, i.e.. to have the component or element which are continuously facing an animated camera during a Thea animation.

As soon as it available, I'll download the beta/demo to try it out and if I like I'll buy.

Regards,

Des

Hi Des,

The plugin does not work directly with Renderzone but will render any generated procedural textures. image_2.jpg  No conversion occurs for Maxwell materials.

Thea instancing system is independent. As proxies (base models) you can use existing FormZ objects or Thea models. In the latter case the model is referenced, no geometry is imported in FormZ.

Regardless of the proxy type (FormZ or Thea model) you can use bounding boxes instead of the actual geometry for the instances. image_1.jpg

(There is also the option to use the geometry instead - this can be useful if you want to create surface instances which can have different materials). Instancing operates in two modes: automatic, where you provide values for population, scaling, rotation, etc. and the plugin creates instances on the surface of the picked object or manual where you use the mouse to pick the exact location of every instance. FormZ components are currently not linked with the instancing mechanism.

Regarding the conversion process so far we didn't have any specific issues but we are always looking for ways to improve the whole procedure.

Animation is not supported in the open beta but it is one of the top priorities for the near future.

Thanks for you post!

Kind Regards,

Manolis

• dubir likes this

#3 Des

Des

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:43 AM

Hi Monolis, thanks so much for answering my queries  :)

Des

#4 dubir

dubir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:17 AM

Hi

What about render time?

I am using Maxwell render and it is lllllooooonnnnggggg time render.

What about the speed in Thea?!

Thanks 

#5 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russian Federation

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

Hi Dubir.
As the beta tester I could say Thea is MUCH faster than Maxwell. My current scene was estimated to be rendered with Maxwell in same resolution in 2 weeks to SL 17. And it was rendered with Thea on default settings with biased engine in 2.40 (minutes. seconds). That might dive you the idea of time difference.
Best,
Anton.
  • dubir and The Q like this

Anton Voloshin,

architect, interior designer, product designer.

#6 dubir

dubir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:44 AM

Hi Ahtoh

Wow good news !

unfortunately the Thea installation on my PC case the FZ to crash so i had to remove it.

#7 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:21 AM

unfortunately the Thea installation on my PC case the FZ to crash so i had to remove it.

Hi Dubir.

That`s too bad. Check with Solid Iris guys they definitely can help you with this. Does FormZ works properly without Thea? If so may be you should re-download plugin and have it fresh installed? Are you on Mac or PC?

Best,

Anton.

Anton Voloshin,

#8 giannis

giannis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:56 AM

Hi Anton,

I guess we can close this for now, since dubir has made a different post here:

http://forums.formz....-program-crash/

Best wishes

#9 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

two more questions:

point lights seem to always cast shadows - is this expected ? (no way to turn it off?)

No matter what I set under options - device mask , my cpu always kicks in when using darkroom/presto AO,

whats best setting here ?

Attached Thumbnails

• cpu.png

#10 R2D2

R2D2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:15 AM

FormZ cone lights Parameters settings in FZ for inner and outer angle (softness) seem not to translate to Thea,

cones always have hard edges for me...

#11 manolis

manolis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:21 AM

two more questions:

point lights seem to always cast shadows - is this expected ? (no way to turn it off?)

No matter what I set under options - device mask , my cpu always kicks in when using darkroom/presto AO,

whats best setting here ?

Hi R2,

The Shadow setting of point lights is applicable only for the Adaptive BSD (Biased) engine.

About the CPU utilization, is that with production or interactive rendering ?

FormZ cone lights Parameters settings in FZ for inner and outer angle (softness) seem not to translate to Thea,

cones always have hard edges for me...

I checked this and it seems there's a bug there.

Thanks for the report.

#12 The Q

The Q

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

Does Thea Render render fast with a  AMD Radeon R9 video card with 4gb of ram (I've read GPU renders that are out run on CUDA, and thats an Nvidia technology)?

Thanks

#13 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

Does Thea Render render fast with a  AMD Radeon R9 video card with 4gb of ram (I've read GPU renders that are out run on CUDA, and thats an Nvidia technology)?

Thanks

Hi Q.

Thea Presto on Open CL is in beta only. So plugin is likely not going to support this in current build. Yet you may export to Studio with plugin and become a beta tester for Open CL version. At least I assume so from reading Thea forum.

So currently in your case Presto will do the job on CPU which might be slower than GPU rendering.

Best,

Anton.

Anton Voloshin,

#14 The Q

The Q

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

Thanks, Anton.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users