AutoDesSys

aligning and/or guides?

Thomllama

Hi Thomllama,

Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't done so already, we would highly recommend going to the Help Menu: Tutorial Videos, and carefully studying these in order, pausing as you are watching and repeating in the program what you just saw.  This will get you up to speed as quickly as possible.

The first 4 videos are more overviews than tutorials, so you can skip or skim these, but starting from the User Interface and onwards will help with a lot of questions and answers.  More specific to your question above, though -- the Grid and Guide Snapping videos would be ones to look at.

There are many ways to align objects, but which you should choose depends on exactly what you want to do.  If the above answer is not sufficient to answer your question, can you post a couple of JPG images (using the More Reply Options below to the right) to show what you want so we can help more specifically?

I've watched every video I could find.. read manuals and found instructions... many point to either an older version or something as they keep talking about and alignment palette that doesn't exist so far  as I can tell... 

Trying to figure out the "snap" menu's and such.. rather confusing but more because there is so much adjustability ..got to figure it all out.

one thing there though.. the button display system.. just seems backward to me and hard to tell if the indented is on or off.. maybe give it a green shade when on not a darker indent.

but to the point..

OK, what I'm trying to do simple setup or 4 circles center spaced about 120mm in one direction and about 80 the other.. then attached between (which I won't have issue with once the basic circle placement is correct)

Also need to be able to place an object on the center of a segment or section... 

generally, i want to make another of these with some modifications... 

post-18273-0-80870700-1460216707_thumb.jpg

Thomllama, this should be easy once you get aquainted.

Try using wireframe display option for placing the centre of the base of something onto the centre of a segment. Here is an example with 'snap to centre' active. Grid snaps are off. The Move tool is being used with make one copy active. http://screencast.com/t/KYecTyLmnU

Thomllama, this should be easy once you get aquainted.

Try using wireframe display option for placing the centre of the base of something onto the centre of a segment. Here is an example with 'snap to centre' active. Grid snaps are off. The Move tool is being used with make one copy active. http://screencast.com/t/KYecTyLmnU

again, either you are using an older version.. or something is missing as I have no "snap to center" button... post-18273-0-70597800-1460243730_thumb.png

Sorry Thomllama, I notice you are using FormZ free and it looks like snap to centre is omitted.

You can grab the circle or cylinder by centre of circle using snap to key point, and place the object onto the centre of a vector line using snap to interval with default interval being 2 divisions.

I think you'r looking in the wrong place.

it isn't a pallet, it is a menu item.

ya, reason I posted the image of the desktop.. there isn't a menu for it.

Sorry Thomllama, I notice you are using FormZ free and it looks like snap to centre is omitted.

You can grab the circle or cylinder by centre of circle using snap to key point, and place the object onto the centre of a vector line using snap to interval with default interval being 2 divisions.

that makes sense.. I can have it auto produce stair, roofs, do mid to high end boolean operations but basic snapping to the center of a circle isn't included... ugg. $500 for the Jr version is just ridiculously above what I can afford.   Sad, was hoping I could use this over ones like Sketchup.. but, Guess not :/

Thomllama, as I explained you can snap to centre of circle with interval  keypoints snap when moving the circle or cylinder. Sometimes the limitations will be a longer way round but not much really. More complicated features are a different matter but I think what is possible using FormZ free is actually pretty generous.

Your choice of course but in my opinion free FormZ beats free Sketchup hands down. There will always be this advantage and that disadvantage, but overall Sketchup only wins people over because more people know about it. You are very lucky to have FormZ free, it has not been available very long. If you can only afford Sketchup, you had better consider the cost of the time you will waste because FormZ is certainly the faster program to accomplish tasks to good quality in my experience, and Autodessys support is exceptional.

Thomllama, as I explained you can snap to centre of circle with interval  keypoints snap when moving the circle or cylinder. Sometimes the limitations will be a longer way round but not much really. More complicated features are a different matter but I think what is possible using FormZ free is actually pretty generous.

Your choice of course but in my opinion free FormZ beats free Sketchup hands down. There will always be this advantage and that disadvantage, but overall Sketchup only wins people over because more people know about it. You are very lucky to have FormZ free, it has not been available very long. If you can only afford Sketchup, you had better consider the cost of the time you will waste because FormZ is certainly the faster program to accomplish tasks to good quality in my experience, and Autodessys support is exceptional.

ya,.. they both have their ups and downs.. I'm not a big fan of Sketchup as it has many issue, but, I'm finding that this has many of the same or other issues. Like, I can snap to center of circles in Sketchup, but it's annoying and time consuming .. but, this is going to be the same. The hoover to select a tool is rather annoying also, I click on things. been that way since my fist computer back in the 80's. You click on a tool in this and nothing happens, and clicking stops the hoover from working.. sounds stupid and easy.. but it's simple muscle memory that every other program in the whole world goes by.  It's very annoying. There are a few other small annoyances with this program that by themselves aren't big but add up.  This does seem to be generally more powerful, but if people can't access that power because the simple basic's are  limited, what's the point?

Just don't get why simple basic features are missing on simple basic version of applications.. but they add over the top, rather specific items that only a few specialty people would use. Architects will love roofs, stairs, etc.. hey I do construction for a living, they look great and super easy to use. But honestly, Architects are also the one who can actually afford the high price of the software.. Plus the "hobbyists" like me are like 100x more the NEW users as most professionals are likely set in their ways. If they even made a $50 or $100 JR version without all the Architect stuff they would sell more. It's rather simple supply and demand math. Also there are tons of rather inexpensive and fully functional home layout programs out there that are well under $100. (umm HGTV's app is $29 with the pro version only $79), so why make another pointing to the same group when this could easily be what I like to call a "Simplified 3D CAD" program that WAY more people are looking for, and there is a much smaller supply of apps for. It's why things like Sketchup and TinkerCAD are so popular, especially with 3D printing becoming more popular. Yes Sketchup does Arch also, but it has the basics for regular 3D mechanical design. This just seems like another product for an already flooded market when there is a rather new market it could be exploring that is only going to grow... 

Look the point of a free version is marketing, it allows people to investigate and use the app, become familiar with it and eventually want at least one or 2 extra features that the next step up gives.. issue is if the free version can't simply do the basic operations without struggling.. no one is going to use it very long, and the free version becomes a loss. Also, if to get the one or 2 features is a massive financial investment they are going to just go looking for a cheaper and easier alternative. I wouldn't think twice about shelling out $50 or maybe even $100 to get some added feature I could get and use... $500 or over $1000... couldn't even if i wanted to.

Hey, haven't given up on FormZ.. still like a lot about it.. but likely I'll be using it to import something, and just do a quick edit to an already built model. Not likely to be my main modeler as it sits. 

Thomllama, the free version wasn't only released to encourage newbies, though it does enable you to dip in and out over a longer period than the 30 days or so. It is also offered as a reader for others to access and explore files created in a Junior or Pro version, and it does that very well and enables people like me to manage with one pro version as I am the designer, and a staff member who is manufacturing can view a model in our workshop, with a couple of features we miss but nothing that can't be got around. Of course Autodessys and Trimble are both businesses who need to sell the paid for versions. We all have different criteria, but one thing is certain, FormZ in all its forms is a lot more stable than it used to be and worthy of a much greater uptake. I am personally very impressed with it, have nailed my colours to the mast, want FormZ to make many more sales and for Autodessys to invest it into making it even better. Please persevere and buy a paid for version, I don't believe you will regret it.

Thomllama, ....... Please persevere and buy a paid for version, I don't believe you will regret it.

very simply... I can't afford it... it's WELL above my budget (and many hundreds of people like me)  That's my point.  If I had money to throw around and didn't have regular bills.. sure.  But again.. I don't.  and I'm FAR from alone.  I can assure you there are hundreds if not thousands of people like me looking to get a reasonable 3D application to use for basically "hobby" purposes that just simply can't afford a $500 application.  If i can't do the basics with the free version I'll likely never bother to purchase the paid for, especially at that price.. would I like to? SURE!! HELL YA!!  you buying?   guess not happening then.

All I can say is if you are not paying anything you get, program, advice, assistance, whatever, it is all a bonus really. Now you have stated your position you have shot yourself in the foot, maybe assistance will not be so forthcoming.

All I can say is if you are not paying anything you get, program, advice, assistance, whatever, it is all a bonus really. Now you have stated your position you have shot yourself in the foot, maybe assistance will not be so forthcoming.

just stating a point.. yes, it's free and I appreciate that!.. and i have no issues paying for a product to get upgrades or advanced features.. but if you want  a free version to help promote sales then the basic items need to be available to the user.. and sales would increase if pricing was in tone with the market.  Not bashing.. trying to state simple facts and options to improve the product and very likely increase the sales.

Basic items and more are available already imho. You can easily achieve what you had set out to do and do not require snap to centre if you can be bothered to draw the extra line or rectangle here and there. As for a revised pricing structure for the Junior or similar offering ....  that is for Autodessys to consider but support costs can be quite high at the learning stage so I expect they are targeting people with a little more to spend really. Compared to many similar type of software providers, I would say they have been generous with the level of free tutorials, utube and from their website....even as link off the program relevant to what you are doing. Many companies try to sell a lot of that stuff, so bear that in mind with the pricing.

again, you guys take it all wrong... I 100% understand costs, over head and such.. even more reason to make a lower cost, more accessible price point.  you can spend "X" dollars in research and development. that never changes no matter how many versions you sell (well unless you sell and LOT, and want to continue the increase in sale and spin off more versions or other software)----

Charge a higher price for a product.. and say get 10 sales (Sales number is just for simple reference)  now to lower the price costs you nothing, uses nothing. you increase the sales by , well with this product, in its field and setup.. very close to 100x's more sales, easily. Now let's say you charge those 10 people $500.. you've made $5000, But, if 100 people  were only $100, you've made $10,000. yes, service/support costs will rise.. but will not cost more than the 2X's the money you've made.  Yes there is a point where if you say you sell it for 10 bucks you aren't going to get enough increase in sales and revenue to make it worth it...

and to top it off... not even saying they should make the existing JR less, but make an simple in-between version.... which costs them like near nothing in coding to add a few minor things and subtract the others.. (you don't need to remove actual code, just remove the bit of interface used to access it) so the program stays the same (cheaper versions just don't see the upgraded items)  .. support stays the same in the sense on what it covers. yes you'll need more support as there are more users.. but again.. it won't cost more than the profits made. 

Then add that more biz's will want to purchase the full version as there is a much larger community of people/employees who'll have working knowledge of the product. costing them less in training... more increase in sales... 

Sorry Thomllama, but compared to the other serious software packages, FormZ is good value. Sketchup might be the closest feel to FZ but it is not on a par so neither should the price be expected to be so, I moved from SU to FZ and don't use SU any more. Look at the other powerful packages from Autodesk, Dassault Systems, Bentley, Siemens etc and in comparison FZ comes out very affordable and brings serious solid modelling within the reach of small businesses like mine who are manufacturers and are not designing on a daily basis.

Name a low cost package which is as powerful as what Autodessys offer for free, I think Turbocad Deluxe might be the best in the low cost category, perhaps you could try that, but FZ free gets work done quicker and has better solid modelling. I have 3 year old versions of TC in both platinum and deluxe versions. I can recommend it for 2d work, but then you might as well learn 2d Solid Edge available for free, but there is no 3d low cost version of Solid Edge that I know of.

Archived