• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Medeek

Medeek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:42 PM

I recently have had a request for porting my truss and roof framing plugin (Medeek Truss Plugin) from SketchUp to FormZ.  I don't know a lot about FormZ and the state of its API or plugin development capabilities but before I proceed too much further I think it would be educational to understand the need for such a plugin.  My plugin currently is still very much in a developing stage, however progress has been fairly rapid:

http://sketchucation...63133&start=360

The plugin for SketchUp is written in Ruby using a lot of features of the SketchUp API, so I'm not even sure how difficult this might be to port to a different platform like FormZ, but it might be worth considering if there is sufficient interest.

• ritawex likes this

#2 etroxel

etroxel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:47 PM

Hi Medeek, as an architect I'd love to see this happen. I've never made plugins for fZ, but let me know how I can support your efforts.

#3 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationWestcliffe Colorado

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:57 PM

MeDeek,

The word is that the scripting is going to change over Python over or possibly sidebyside with the current FSL (formZ Scripting Language, witch is essentially interpreted C with libraries)

There is also the full plug-in programming which is C++

There have been hints lying about regarding a visual scripting, but no word on when or any kind of specifics.

I for one am itching and drooling over they Python option, as I want to be a designer (industrial, though I have a potential for being a Truss designer for a local shop)   instead of being a programmer (ADS, which is why I don't jump into C++ plug-ins)

Never Delved into Ruby, so can't say how difficult it would be to convert it to python.

The API's are quite extensive (from when I used to do FSL on the old 6.x versions)  and they used to be quite helpful with questions.

I hope you come aboard, it would be phenomenal to have your script working in Z!

Cheers!

Edited by Chris lund, 31 March 2016 - 04:58 PM.

Christopher Lund

Neurascenic - Industrial Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users