AutoDesSys

Infinite Reference Plane Grid Option

Hello-

It would be nice to have the option for an Infinite Reference Plane (Grid) Option.  As is, using the Edit Reference Plane to stretch the Grid to far extents works fine, but I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just have a button that turns on an Infinite Reference Plane for some uses?

Justin,

An infinite plane with an infinite number of grid lines can cause performance, or even memory issues, especially with lesser graphics cards.  

If you use the Edit Reference Plane Tools, in the Tool Options, you can use the Extents of Scene if you want to match your grid to your objects (in addition to manipulating it graphically, etc:

post-5-0-51301100-1458854503_thumb.jpg

Does that help?

Hi Tech-

I could see how this could cause performance or memory issues if not programmed correctly, but if it were done right, and only calculating what is visible, I don't see how it wouldn't work fine for performance.  

The Edit Reference Plane Tool Options does not really help.  I want to be able to have a much larger border of grid around my objects all the time.  Perhaps it would be easiest if there were a compromise solution?  Could there be a customizable button that did an 'Extents of Scene + Numerical distance' ?   Say 200' or something?

Also, I feel like the default grid in v6 and earlier was much larger, so I rarely ran into this issue of needing to ever resize it.  Perhaps this is just another default that should be considered to be changed for better usability for new users, and longtime users alike?

Archived