AutoDesSys

FormZ hangs importing IGS and STP files.

JorgeLourenco

I am not certain if the source of the files I am receiving from my vendor in China is ProE or SolidWorks. I do know I am unable to open these files at all. My coworker can open them in solid works just fine. FormZ hangs every time be it IGS or STP.

Is there a file format I can request from my vendor? Are there a combination of settings I can ask my vendor to save the files under that will ensure I can open these files?

HELP!

—Jorge

40ct_Sidewalk_Chalk_Paint_Blister_Mold_Top.stp.zip

40ct_Sidewalk_Chalk_Paint_Blister_Mold_Top.IGS.zip

Forgot to mention some basics:

I am running FormZ 8.0 on OS X El Capitan, 32GB RAM i7. I have always had major issues importing STEP files, but I can export them just fine. Files I export to STEP, I can open!

I did just re-download FomZ 8.0 and replace it in my applications menu, then tried to import the STEP file again with no luck. :(

I am stuck. The only thing I know I can ask my vendor for that I can open reliably is an STL. Otherwise, I have to use Keyshot to open the STEPs and export them as OBJ files. :(

hi Jorge,

in most cases it is the name of the file that makes the problem:

so renaming the .stp file to e.g. "abcd" will help

if you want, I can send the file to you (2,8 MB)

vva

Hi Jorge,

Welcome to the forum.   :)

We were able to import your file here using the default options (Construct Solids and the bottom two options checked) but we have seen a few isolated cases where unchecking one or both of the bottom two options has allowed the import to work with certain files.   Here is the file we imported for your convenience:

40ct_Sidewalk_Chalk_Paint_Blister_Mold_Top.stp.zip

We have also made improvements with the STEP Import for certain Mac computers with the current version of formZ.  If you are still unable to import the file on your computer with formZ 8.0, does downloading 8.5 from here:

http://www.formz.com/products/formz/update/formz_85_Pro.html

And installing that allow you to import the files successfully?

Archived