AutoDesSys

Stupid question for you Mac users: What mouse do you use? :)

d_b

Ok, so I've been using a magic mouse for the last few years and am looking for something more comfortable (thanks to old age and a recent wrist injury).  I bought a Logitech mouse the other day (m510), and while it's been ok, I've found that it doesn't play well with formZ - at least V6.7.  Before going for round 2, and spending $100 on a mouse, I thought it might be interesting to see what other people have as their set-up.  

So...anybody have special set-up they really like?

-db

Hi DB,

If that mouse fits well in your hand it should work fine.  Did you download the current driver from Logitech's site and install that?

(It should be way better than any mouse from Apple.)

If not, can you be more specific about what's not working for you?

db, I'm the same, I need to get a new mouse too and not apple mice as they are design for document/ web scrolling etc, not good for Fz!

I'm interested to see what other uZers recommend. The one I've been using for many years (in midst of a slow death) on four different mac systems is a Microsoft Comfort 3000, (ironic no?)  :huh:

Des

+1 on Kensington  Orbit TM

After many trial and replacements, over many years, the current one has the best  ball ever, IMHO.

I simply cannot understand how people like mice which are actuated by the fore arm muscles and are therefore less precise. Just one finger or palm muscle alone,  allows for the most delicate movements which reliably stop, when finger is lifted. A pause at that point allows user to double check the Action Palette-- To see if the value has remained as intended, (EG: 0,0,0  when snaps might interfere).Then the physical button click will not affect cursor at all, when button clicks are made.

Hi DB,

If that mouse fits well in your hand it should work fine.  Did you download the current driver from Logitech's site and install that?

(It should be way better than any mouse from Apple.)

If not, can you be more specific about what's not working for you?

Tech, I have downloaded everything from Logitech (2 programs, but one of them wasn't applicable to the m510), yet the issues still persisted.  The problems may not be contained to just formZ, but I haven't used the other programs that much in the last week.  It seems that the mouse randomly decides to ignore buttons and other clickable areas.  A few examples:

• When trying to change the shaded render color of a material, it would select the color box to bring up apple's color selector.  On this particular material, no matter how many times I opened the materials options palette and tried to change the color, it wouldn't let me.  I ended up bringing back the mighty mouse and was immediately able to select the color box.

• When changing colors, some colors aren't selectable until I pick a different color first (this is one that is always an issue).  This is the worst when using apple's basic color schemes - where the colors are shaped like crayons.  

• When creating or modifying an object, light or other item with an options palette, some boxes or items are initially un-selectable.  But if I then click on another area of the palette, it usually lets me select the first item I was trying to get.

As I mentioned, it seems random.  It doesn't do this every time, but enough where I find myself clicking several times to select a tool, color or other items.  Because of the time constraint that I've had this week, I've mainly been using V6.7 (where I'm still 2x faster when setting up a rendering).  So I don't know if these issues show up in 8.5.  And while I have used photoshop some this week, I haven't noticed any problems.

I'm using a Kingston trackball. It takes some time getting used to it, but once you do, you'll never go back.

Dan

I used a trackball a long time ago when I was in HS (when my computer had 4mb of ram and the processor speed had a "turbo" button to change it from 16 mhz to 32 mhz).  I loved it back then, but never tried one with modeling software.  I might have to give this a try.  Thanks for the input!

I use a Logitech Anywhere MX with form.Z 8.5. It's a very good mouse with 5 programmable buttons and the scroll wheel (which is not a button).

I almost purchased this one first, but since I'm a cheap bastard, I decided on the m510.  There just aren't too many choices when looking at mice in a store.

One thing I did try - I pulled out my Wacom tablet and tried it out without the pen.  It was interesting, so say the least.  It's way too large, almost the width of my keyboard, but I could see myself trying it again.  One thing that is nice about the tablet, I'm able to configure it for each application.  So I'd be able to have several options, gestures and shortcuts specifically for formZ.

I think I'm going to see if my local best buy or office depot has the Kensington mouse, and see how that feels.

Thanks again for all of the responses!

-db

What version of OSX are you using?

Specifically I recently tried loading El Cap (from Mavericks) and found that in 6.7 with a dark background, the "+" cursor stays dark (doesn't change to white as usual.) Given my default setup is a dark background, that obviously makes it tough to work. Point being, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other cursor/pointing issues, but I can't imagine why the specific mouse would make a difference.

The problem with many of the Logitechs is that they have a hyper scroll which is activated by pressing the wheel, so you lose your "pan" button. The Anywhere MX (which I do like a lot - especially the new MX2 Bluetooth one) has a button below the scroll wheel that can replace pan, but still isn't ideal. I've got an M510 on my PC, which is OK, but for all the Macs I have 15 yr-old Logitech MouseMan dual opticals.

I wouldn't touch the Logitech software; I have used SteerMouse for years to custom program buttons per app. I've got the thumb button set to orbit, so between that and scroll/pan I never use key modifiers for navigation.

What version of OSX are you using?

Specifically I recently tried loading El Cap (from Mavericks) and found that in 6.7 with a dark background, the "+" cursor stays dark (doesn't change to white as usual.) Given my default setup is a dark background, that obviously makes it tough to work. Point being, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other cursor/pointing issues, but I can't imagine why the specific mouse would make a difference.

The problem with many of the Logitechs is that they have a hyper scroll which is activated by pressing the wheel, so you lose your "pan" button. The Anywhere MX (which I do like a lot - especially the new MX2 Bluetooth one) has a button below the scroll wheel that can replace pan, but still isn't ideal. I've got an M510 on my PC, which is OK, but for all the Macs I have 15 yr-old Logitech MouseMan dual opticals.

I wouldn't touch the Logitech software; I have used SteerMouse for years to custom program buttons per app. I've got the thumb button set to orbit, so between that and scroll/pan I never use key modifiers for navigation.

I'm running 10.10.4 and I've had it for while now - nothing new.  Lately, this machine has been acting a little quirky, so it may not even be the mouse or software, but something else.  SteerMouse looks interesting.  I think I'll give that a try once I get the m510 replacement.

Logitech M705 and really like it. Apple mice are lousy. Throw them out!

I've always been amused by the sheer lack of ergonomics in some apple mice (and keyboards for that matter) - starting with the original imac mouse that was like holding a mini bagel.  That being said, I've grown fond of the mighty mouse - despite it hurting my wrist.   :lol:   I'm going to miss the touch surface which is really nice when I'm working on large format images in Photoshop or Illustrator.  It made scrolling left & right very easy.  

Full size Logitech mouse with 5+ buttons and laser or high dpi optical.  I can't live without the Back and Forward buttons, as well as a dedicated mouse button for launching Mission Control.  It makes multitasking so much easier... even on 3 screens!  :)

Logitech control center software is great because if needed you can make application specific settings for the buttons and scrolling sensitivity.  This is one big problem I think a lot of people have when first plugging in a mouse and trying to use it to navigate a model in FormZ.  Adjusting the scrolling sensitivity settings really helps so that the built in scrolling wheel 'stops' are matched to FormZ's zooming increments.  It takes a bit of playing to get it to work perfectly, but once you do, you won't want to use anything else!   

Logitech Performance MX.   I would like to use another with more buttons, 5 is not enough,  but finding Mac Drivers to handle them has been a challenge.  (I don't like the ones that have a keypad on the side though)

I also have a Razer Orbweaver that I am putting into service now. (not a mouse, but has lots of nice buttons)

In the past, I used Microsoft Mice.  They are big and clunky (which I like)

Apple Mice are not intended for orangutan hands or for doing real work.   Some things should not be pared down to nothing.

DON'T try the Logitech G700, won't work (which Is phenomenally stupid!!!!)    The buttons aren't documented so 3rd party drivers won't work either.     9 buttons   (12 if you count the scroll wheel buttons)   Grrrr    WANT Bad!

Logitech Performance MX.   I would like to use another with more buttons, 5 is not enough,  but finding Mac Drivers to handle them has been a challenge.  (I don't like the ones that have a keypad on the side though)

I also have a Razer Orbweaver that I am putting into service now. (not a mouse, but has lots of nice buttons)

In the past, I used Microsoft Mice.  They are big and clunky (which I like)

Apple Mice are not intended for orangutan hands or for doing real work.   Some things should not be pared down to nothing.

DON'T try the Logitech G700, won't work (which Is phenomenally stupid!!!!)    The buttons aren't documented so 3rd party drivers won't work either.     9 buttons   (12 if you count the scroll wheel buttons)   Grrrr    WANT Bad!

That's so funny that you post that - the G700s is what I bought Friday afternoon!  And I agree, with the Logitech software, it's pretty crappy.  But with SteerMouse, I love it!  I went with a gaming mouse because I liked the idea of having a lot of buttons available and the G700s button layout fit my hand better.  So far, I haven't noticed any issues with the mouse and it works perfectly.  I already have several profiles set-up in SteerMouse (which I'm a big fan of now) and each works flawlessly!

I'm on OS 10.10 over here - holding off from moving to 10.11 for as long as I can.  If it hadn't been for another piece of software, I'd still be on 10.8 Mountain Lion!

-db

I will install the Steer Mouse now!   I had tried other 3rd party drivers that did not work.    Excited now!!!!  Buttons, buttons buttons!!! 

On my desktop, I use 10.10   but on my laptop I use 10.11.     no differences with fZ   and so far, can still run 6.7  though moving the key is a PIA.

the Logitech software works well with their non-gaming software, but they for what ever reason presume that Mac people aren't gamers (actually, I am not) or that mac users have no use for more sophisticated devices.   

It will be interesting to see how Steer mouse works across Parallels/Win7  as I use a 2D CAD type App on it.

Thanks!

Killer!   It works, phenomenal!

Tech,   it may be worthy to start a pinned thread that people can highlight worthy products for fZ...

I would recommend this SteerMouse.   I like the G700, but need to get my habitualization going.

too, the Razer keypads.  I use a little bit of an older one called an orbweaver.

Rich,

I use Windows in a virtual machine via Parallels, so I am running both the Mac and Windows at the same time.  Two different mouse drivers between the two, might be a bit much.

I really only use one program in Windows, PatternSmith.     Which I hate!  But have to use.  

The App does not allow Scripting (hint hint Tech!)    nor does it allow custom key maps and many of the tools are not mapped at all.  

Literally a real Drag.    However, with SteerMouse, I can call an automator script which in turn calls a Shell script (Terminal) with arguments to tell it where to go, then return to the original location.   

Definitely a convoluted way to invoke key shortcuts... but it works, and it is awesome!    Just need to figure out a way to skip the middleman Automator and go straight for the Shell Script.   The problem so far, is how to send the mouse position I want as arguments.  This is what Automator does for me.   I just have an automator script for each virtual key shortcut.

BTW, if anybody is interested, the shell script I am using is cliclick  http://www.bluem.net/en/mac/cliclick/

• 3 months later...

I thought, lets share my mouses I always work with, and all together.

1 Apple track path + 1 Space navigator + 1 Kensington Expert Mouse track ball (tweaked with soft leather on the buttons, :) )

The Space Navigator I use with my left hand. 

post-47-0-08136400-1467373403_thumb.jpg

I love my Logitech MX mouse... with all the programable buttons, I can call up almost every tool I use daily with a thumb swipe... Pair that with a 3Dconnexion Space navigator and you can navigate your models almost as if you were there...

Incidentally, the Space Pilot REALLY shines when it comes to adjusting camera views... it's level of interactivity allows for a real intuitive feel for camera placement.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Wacom Mouse on my intuos 4 tablet.

In InDesign and illustrator it works fine. But in FormZ 8.5.4 it has an akward behavier after some time of working.
Then one klick on the left button is like a doubleclick.... :wacko: 
After restarting FormZ its behavier is normal for an time of 10-20 minutes.
So i will look for an extra Mouse for FormZ.....

Archived