AutoDesSys

Palettes disappear

When I click "Show desktop" or when I minimize formZ on Windows 10 and then tab back in all of my palettes are invisible. In order to reveal them again I must remember where I placed them on my screen and double click over the title bar. Please help!

Thins I've tried that didn't work:

1. Reset all workspaces
  2. Delete the autodesys folder on C:\Users\??\Appdata\Roaming with formZ closed and then re-open to test
  3. Run formZ on compatibility mode for Windows 7 and Windows 8

My software:

• formZ8.5.3 build 9795
  • Maxwell Render version 3.2.1.2
  • Plugin 3.2.0.8

My system:

• i7 6700K @ 4.8Mhz with 32G RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti driver 362.00
  • Windows 10 PRO 64 bit

Hi Andre,

Sorry you are having trouble, but we are not reproducing this here.  How many monitors do you have, and if it is more than one, is formZ on the primary monitor, or other?

What are the resolution(s) of these monitor(s)?

And just to be clear, you click the "bar" icon at the upper right corner of the formZ Application window to Minimize it, then click on the Z icon from the Task Bar at the bottom to restore formZ -- and the problem occurs, right?

Hi Andre,

We tested on a similar system, but are still not reproducing this.  Can anyone else reproduce what Andre reports?

And if you Quit formZ, go to USER: App Data: Roaming, rename the autodessys folder, and relaunch formZ, can you reproduce this right away, or only after making some modifications to the interface?

Yes after I rename or delete the autodessys folder the problem is present straight away. Is there any other information I can provide to help find the problem? I know I had this problem in the past with earlier versions of formZ (maybe there's something about this on the old forums).

With the new beta driver 364.51: no change.

With driver legacy driver 361.91: no change.

I renamed the autodesys folder in C:\Users\??\Appdata\Roaming with formZ closed and then re-open to test with each driver. I didn't fiddle around with the UI during the test: a simple open formZ, minimize and maximize causes the problem.

Hi Andre,

First, please make sure to go to the formZ.exe properties and deselect any Compatibility mode settings so it runs natively for your operating system.  (Sorry, we should have noted that in our first post.)

As a test, set your monitor Display Resolution to 1920 x 1080.  Then Quit formZ, delete or rename the autodessys folder, and run the test once more.

Do you still have the problem with that lower resolution?

Hi Andre,

Ok, thanks for the feedback.  It is very strange that this apparently occurs only on your computer, and that we can not reproduce this on any of our systems.  Has anyone else been able to reproduce this?

Perhaps for now, you can just Alt-Tab to the desired application and not minimize formZ to work around the issue?

Perhaps for now, you can just Alt-Tab to the desired application and not minimize formZ to work around the issue?

Yep, I'm trying that but some habits are hard to break. Since I'm apparently the only one with this issue If you come up with any ideas I'll be happy to help try them out.

Funny, I just wrote about this in the survey.  I've had a similar issues to this many times. For me it's either the Modeling tools or the Tool dock disappear and there's no way to get them back. I've had it where the Tool dock pallets don't fly out.  I currently have an issue where I can't left click the individual material icons.  (I can only right click on them to select them) Here's my process to get our of it:

I start with Reset the workspaces.  

Then a hard reboot.  

Then delete the preference file. 

Then reset to defaults.  

....One of those usually fix it. Worse case scenario is reload from scratch.  (which is where I'm at this morning) I typically reset the workspaces at least once a week. This has been a common issue with me that has never been effected by changing a video driver. (Win 10, current driver, Titan-X card)

I don't understand why there has to be so many components to the interface that don't work with each other?  There's a Palette dock that contains palettes but they don't have to be in there, they can just float randomly and in no way snap to each other Why don't the palettes just snap to each other?  The Tool dock has it's own icon bars and they are sort of snap able but the last icon is always half way covered up and there's no way to expand it. Once again they don't have to be in the Tool dock. I want just windows and palettes and I want them to all snap together and not reconfigure them selves.  

I've concluded that as least some of these issues are a result of using a multiple-monitor setup.  (I think the Wacom drivers can also cause issues)  If you have 2 monitors try switching from double to single and back again and watch what happens.  I don't know about Mac but on windows it goes crazy. In fact I just did it and here's a screen shot of what happened:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amip267gnjyhbcc/FormZ%20screwup.jpg?dl=0

Part of the tool dock went away.  The last icons are still overlapping and can't be stretched out to show them. The main application window un-maximized.  The Palette dock is completely empty and I can't get it to come back. And 3 other windows on the right monitor closed by them selves.  

I just closed FormZ and reopened it.  Apparently it overwrote my saved workspace because the interface is still messed up.  Swtiched to modeling and everything came back to its default state. (still have the overlapping last icons in the tool dock)  Back to reloading.

...I currently have an issue where I can't left click the individual material icons.  (I can only right click on them to select them)...

I'm having the same issue here. I have to right click sometimes to make it work. I only have one monitor so I'm sure it's not a multiple display problem.

Hi Andre & Archigraphica,

While it is not recommended to change the resolution of your monitor, or add or remove monitors without quitting formZ first, we have been testing on a number of systems and have not been able to reproduce what you report.  If you start by Quitting formZ, going to your USER: Roaming: App Data folder, and deleting, or renaming the autodessys folder, then set things up as you would like, and make sure to quit formZ before adding or changing monitors, does that help?

Note that once you have things set up as you would like, you should go to the Workspace Menu: Workspace Manager and choose Export Workspaces:

post-5-0-06991400-1458059818_thumb.jpg

And once you have things set as you would like, Quit and Relaunch.  Then Uncheck the Workspace Manager: Save Between Sessions option, Quit and Relaunch once more.  This way, from now on, every time you quit and relaunch formZ, it will come back exactly the way you set it previously  (and it won't try to always save the unwanted changes that occurred somehow).  

Does that help?

As a test, set your monitor Display Resolution to 1920 x 1080.  Then Quit formZ, delete or rename the autodessys folder, and run the test once more.

Hi Andre & Archigraphica,

While it is not recommended to change the resolution of your monitor, or add or remove monitors without quitting formZ first...

I've ran the test a few times now. For every adjustment I made with my graphic card I closed formZ first. The problem is still there.

I've tested with multiple drives performing a clean install of the Nvidia drivers with both: the built in option to perform a clean install or following this procedure. I only have one monitor as you can see on the video I shared. I'm bummed -- there's another problem now I hadn't noticed: the text part of the lights palette now its white and it makes it really hard to read.

post-70-0-57804500-1458132361_thumb.jpg

Hi Andre,

Did you set your Workspaces in formZ as recommended in our previous post?

And if the problem then occurs, if you quit and relaunch formZ, does that restore your palettes properly?

With regards to the Lights Palette Colors, if you don't want it to show the color, right click in the Lights Palette and uncheck that option (which is off by default).

Yes. I followed these steps and still have the same problem.

1. With formZ closed I deleted the autodessys folder.
  2. Launch formZ
  3. Set things up and export workspace
  4. Quit formZ
  5. Didn't add a monitor or changed resolution, I don't have an extra one nor do I see the need to change resolution that's currently on native 3840x2160 with Windows 10 display settings set to 150% (see the attached pic)
  6. Launch formZ
  7. Uncheck the Workspace Manager: Save Between Sessions option 
  8. Quit formZ
  9. Launch formZ

The light problem wasn't a problem at all. I didn't know that was an option! Thanks!

post-70-0-76144900-1458139904_thumb.jpg

Hi Andre,

Yes, there still is the strange issue of minimizing formZ on your computer causing problems, but we have tested dozens of systems and have not reproduced it anywhere -- or had anyone else with the same issue.  We will keep checking, but for now, try to avoid minimizing, and if you do, just restart formZ to reset the palettes...

It might be the way I set things up. I had this issue on my old computer a few years ago and I also posted something on the old forums. I can't find the post but I'm sure it's there... I also can't remember how you guys fixed it or if it was a problem that disappeared on an update (the same way this just showed up again on the last update). 

Archived