AutoDesSys

Measure tool change just one dimension?

jsiggia

Could the measure tool be improved to change just one dimension of an object rather then scaling the entire object (as an option of course)?

I've  seen such a tool in Ashlar-Vellum and SolidWorks.

Thanks for reading.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Good point Gordon, we should probably have noted that.

Note also that you first want to click on your object, then choose the Scale option, and enter your desired scale bounding box / size...

Thanks for pointing that out!  ;)

I don't think that works quite like Joe is requesting.   If you know the percentage, it works great, but if you just want to enter an absolute value in the dimensions, it gets a little harder.   As you attempt to mouse to those text entry fields all the other dimensions get messed up too, if you have something that isn't simple like an integer value, you would have to remember it, and enter all 3 dims to get what you want.

it would work if you could Tab through the fields, but that only works in the percentage fields,  the tool drops activity if you try to tab through.   ((Though, you can Back Tab into the Absolute fields.  (Shift/Tab)))

Added, it would still be handy per Joe's suggestion , if you are already using the measure tool.

This may only work on 2D objects but, (currently) if I select a segment then attempt to use the measure tool as we do on objects, the entire object is scaled.

My suggestion would allow only the segment to scale and the other segments of the object would change as if you selected and moved just one point of the object.

Gordonjay,  I'll play with the transform tool some more but it looks like the origin is always in the center of the segment (so far).

Thanks for all the replies.

Joe

This could work as follows: using the Measure tool with no preselection would work as it currently does, uniformly scaling the whole object.

With an option checked in the Measure tool's Options Palette, the following could also be possible:

Preselecting an object and then using the measure tool would scale that object only in the measured direction with the anchor of the scale at the first point of the measure.

Preselecting a segment and then using the measure tool would scale only that segment in the measured direction with the anchor of the scale at the first point of the measure.

Preselecting a face and then using the measure tool would scale only that face in the measured direction with the anchor of the scale at the first point of the measure.

What do you think?

With the transform tool, you can move the origin using the transform controller button. It only lasts until you exit the tool.  If you want to permanently change the origin, you can use the edit axes tool.  It would be nice if you could change it in the transform tool and have an option of keeping it where you move it.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Gordon,

Yes, having an option for the Transform Controller to be permanent would be nice, and as you note you need to use the Edit Object Axes currently to do this.

Joe,

The Transform tool works on parts (ie, segments) of objects.  If you test again and have an issue, please send or post a small object and indicate which segment is not available to be transformed so we can look into this further.

post-5-0-22316600-1457634045_thumb.jpg

Archived