AutoDesSys

Reveal objects.

Alan Cooper

I think what I am going to suggest is so logical that the fact it does not work this way at the moment is a bug.

Lets say there is a wall in front of what we are working on so we put the wall on a layer and switch the visibility off for the wall layer. Now we can see the objects behind the wall. We can select those objects and use the hide object command on them, all good. Now try to reveal the object we just hid. We can't because the wall on the hidden layer is blocking it. Very bad.

Summary of suggestion:

Please cause the reveal objects to work when objects which block them are on a hidden layer.

Sorry, my bad terminology is misleading.

Correction: instead of hide I should have said ghost. I will rewrite the problem below:

I think what I am going to suggest is so logical that the fact it does not work this way at the moment is a bug.

Lets say there is a wall in front of what we are working on so we put the wall on a layer and switch the visibility off for the wall layer. Now we can see the objects behind the wall. We can select those objects and use the ghost object command on them, all good. Now try to unghost the object we just ghosted. We can't because the wall on the layer with visibility off is blocking it. Very bad.

Summary of suggestion:

Please cause the unghost objects to work when objects which block them are on a layer with visibility off.

Below are the explanatory notes to apply to the attached FZ file.

1. In scene 1 you see a wall. We are in shaded work display.
2. Click on the eye symbol on the wall layer to make the wall layer ghosted. (By the way, my display options has hide ghosted activated).
3. Click on the green object1 and ghost it.
4. Using the keyboard shortcut, attempt to unghost the green object1 which is now invisible. It is not successful.
5. Click on scene 2 which is a view from behind the green object without the wall in it's way.
6. Repeat action 4, it is successful (first you see a red wireframe of it which when clicked unhides the green object 1.

Conclusion: the wall, despite being on a ghosted layer, was still blocking the unghost by keyboard shortcut for the object behind the wall. (This is undesirable).

GhostReveal.zip

Hi Alan,

Ok, that's a bit better, we now understand.  You can Unghost it fine in Wire Frame, or via the Objects Palette, but in this specific case in Shaded Work with your project, it is not working with the Unghost Tool.

Thanks for your report, we will see if this can be adjusted.  

Archived