jsiggia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the tips guys.

Here is a link to the file: https://dl.dropboxus...wartsCastle.max  (83.6 MB) created by "kingku" on the weblog at videocopilot.net

The terms and conditions can be found here:   http://www.videocopi...hp?f=20&t=23277

If anyone can convert to .fmz please let me know here.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by jsiggia, 16 January 2016 - 01:03 PM.

Joe Siggia

Looking for users in the central Virginia area.

Late 2014 iMac Retina.

Look up from your phone.

#22 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire, UK

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:46 AM

I think it would be good to have an Autodessys maintained depository, however there can be a lot of time and expertise [not just modelling expertise] involved in producing a good model, and to let that become available for free is insufficient incentive to those who have put in the hard work. But who will check the model thoroughly to ensure it meets standards? I think it needs to be 2 tier, free and paid for models, but would there be sufficient sales to be workable. Maybe not, because there are probably not enough FZ users, though now that there is a free version, with the right kind of publicity and if FZ continues to improve, especially repairing little bugs, and introducing a few missing features, it could be something which could happen in the future if FZ gains market share rapidly. First the product needs to be rock solidly stable and without gaps in features, then a big publicity drive, The future of FormZ and a FormZ warehouse could be bright if Autodessys is determined enough imho.

FZ8.5 pro with Renderzone on Windows 7 64bit.

Family Plan.

#23 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russian Federation

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:57 AM

Setting up such a site is not a trivial task by any means 

Yes agree. Nothing could be more difficult!  :D

• jsiggia and bluemonkey like this

Anton Voloshin,

architect, interior designer, product designer.

#24 jsiggia

jsiggia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:28 AM

Anton,

Is this yours?

Bravo!

Joe

• AHTOH likes this

Joe Siggia

Late 2014 iMac Retina.

Look up from your phone.

#25 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:44 AM

Hi Anton,

Ok, great -- are we correct that you are volunteering to help get the ball rolling, and add content submitted by other users (and check the models for quality -- and handle any copyright issues)?  If so, thank you very much.  If "you" (the formZ users in general) are able to demonstrate that there is sufficient interest, and that users are indeed willing to post files -- rather than simply wanting to download them, then this can be a great start. 

If there is enough interest and a "critical mass" of projects can be reached to demonstrate the viability of such a site, we could then "take it over" if you no longer wish to maintain the site on a longer term basis.  Or, if as some users have suggested this can be taken to the next level and some models can be for purchase (and you want to handle that aspect), then feel free to claim a percentage as your fee for your efforts.

• jsiggia, AHTOH and Surfnturf like this

#26 Andrew West

Andrew West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the tips guys.

Here is a link to the file: https://dl.dropboxus...wartsCastle.max  (83.6 MB) created by "kingku" on the weblog at videocopilot.net

The terms and conditions can be found here:   http://www.videocopi...hp?f=20&t=23277

If anyone can convert to .fmz please let me know here.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe

I have a minute this morning to take a look at a conversion. Do you still need it?

#27 jsiggia

jsiggia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

Your the first to offer. Yes please.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Siggia

Late 2014 iMac Retina.

Look up from your phone.

#28 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

Hi Anton,

Ok, great -- are we correct that you are volunteering to help get the ball rolling, and add content submitted by other users (and check the models for quality -- and handle any copyright issues)?  If so, thank you very much.  If "you" (the formZ users in general) are able to demonstrate that there is sufficient interest, and that users are indeed willing to post files -- rather than simply wanting to download them, then this can be a great start. 

If there is enough interest and a "critical mass" of projects can be reached to demonstrate the viability of such a site, we could then "take it over" if you no longer wish to maintain the site on a longer term basis.  Or, if as some users have suggested this can be taken to the next level and some models can be for purchase (and you want to handle that aspect), then feel free to claim a percentage as your fee for your efforts.

Hello Tech.

Sorry I`v been out from computer and could not reply promptly.

As for your question: let`s see what I can do. I gonna try to find some time to render and upload my own models and designs first. After I want to open upload option for other formziers to my site. Than I I`ll ask if guys from say Minotti, B&B Italia and the others who`s models I have converted if them don`t mind I share their  furniture and stuff models in FormZ format. This is basically my plan.

Hope I will have time for all of it. Or I will be overwhelmed with work which is even better.

Best,

Anton.

Anton Voloshin,

#29 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:39 PM

Anton,

Is this yours?

Bravo!

Joe

Thank`s Joe.  :)

Anton Voloshin,

#30 Andrew West

Andrew West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:57 PM

Your the first to offer. Yes please.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe

The model had a few issues in Max that I did not have time to correct.   I tried the export out in a few different formats and found that OBJ gave me the cleanest geometry. Unfortunately, it also exported the whole castle out as one object which took a while to expode.  FBX was a complete mess and 3DS was as well.  Lots of missing geometry.  DWG export ran into the typical problem of objects with too many facets on some geometry so those get deleted. The DWG did maintain the separate colors though.  I think I will start by sending you the OBJ to see if that meets your needs.

What version of Form.z are you using?  How would you like to receive the file?

#31 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

Hello Tech.

Sorry I`v been out from computer and could not reply promptly.

As for your question: let`s see what I can do. I gonna try to find some time to render and upload my own models and designs first. After I want to open upload option for other formziers to my site. Than I I`ll ask if guys from say Minotti, B&B Italia and the others who`s models I have converted if them don`t mind I share their  furniture and stuff models in FormZ format. This is basically my plan.

Hope I will have time for all of it. Or I will be overwhelmed with work which is even better.

Best,

Anton.

Hi Anton,

Sounds great!  And if you find any quality furniture designers that have models with issues, perhaps they can be cleaned up before saved in the FMZ library.  

(And If you find a case where you need advice on cleaning / fixing geometry, just let us know,..)

• AHTOH likes this

#32 Andrew West

Andrew West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

Anton

Email me if you get this up and running.  I have several hundred models I could add over time.  Mostly furniture and accessories. 

Andrew West

• AHTOH likes this

#33 Andrew West

Andrew West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:02 PM

Joe

The file is uploaded to Dropbox and is in version 8.5.  Send me your email and I will send you the link.

Andrew@westillustration.com

AW

• jsiggia likes this

#34 jsiggia

jsiggia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

As we begin to assemble a stock of models, we would be well served by having standards for models. TurboSquid has spent quit a bit of effort in this area and we should at least be aware of what a functioning "warehouse" could require.  Here is a link to their FAQ section. https://support.turb...on-faq?locale=1

Z, please feel free to remove this link if you feel it is inappropriate.

Thanks for reading.

Joe

• Alan Cooper likes this

Joe Siggia

Late 2014 iMac Retina.

Look up from your phone.

#35 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:55 PM

Hi Anton,

Sounds great!  And if you find any quality furniture designers that have models with issues, perhaps they can be cleaned up before saved in the FMZ library.  

(And If you find a case where you need advice on cleaning / fixing geometry, just let us know,..)

Hello Tech.

Thank`s for offering.

Best,

Anton.

Anton Voloshin,

#36 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Anton

Email me if you get this up and running.  I have several hundred models I could add over time.  Mostly furniture and accessories. 

Andrew West

Hi Andrew.

Sounds great!

Thank you for supporting this sharing Idea.

Oh! Just in case: I would definitely need your e-mail for that  :D

Best,

Anton.

Edited by AHTOH, 19 January 2016 - 02:59 PM.

Anton Voloshin,

#37 Andrew West

Andrew West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

My email is Andrew@westillustration.com.  Lets do this.  I am so tired of downloading models from other sites and spending hours fixing them, or worse, throwing them away after hours of work.

#38 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

It's very generous of you guys to contribute your time, not just in uploading your models but for the hundreds of hours spent modeling and cleaning up models.

#39 Shibui Design

Shibui Design

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

I would gladly offer up some models from my libraries with the understanding that I could also use those from others.

#40 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire, UK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

As we begin to assemble a stock of models, we would be well served by having standards for models. TurboSquid has spent quit a bit of effort in this area and we should at least be aware of what a functioning "warehouse" could require.  Here is a link to their FAQ section. https://support.turb...on-faq?locale=1

Z, please feel free to remove this link if you feel it is inappropriate.

Thanks for reading.

Joe

Especially on the subject of furniture, there are models and there are models. Different people will have different requirements of the models. Some people will want just a complete presentation of a piece of furniture, to use in a scene, whereas others intend to make the furniture, and need it to be constructed from individual parts, preferably with suitable object names, layers, and grouping of, for example, the parts which make up a door or drawer. I had a look at the 3dSky repository which Andrew West mentioned. Most are in max format which we can't open, without the Autodesk software, but I did find one in obj. It was complete but a single 3d object so only suitable to use in a scene, maybe some of the pay-for ones were more comprehensive. It might be a good idea to release 2 versions of a model: a free or cheap one which consists of a single object, and a pay-for one which contains the individual object parts. For the former, use in [a scene] could in some cases positively generate product sales for the manufacturer, whereas in the case of the second, there could be negative rights issues if the item is replicated in the flesh. I personally prefer to design and make my own furniture, but it can be time consuming, but it can be useful to use other models as accessories to compose a scene, for which a single object model is often sufficient.

FZ8.5 pro with Renderzone on Windows 7 64bit.

Family Plan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users