AutoDesSys

3d Warehouse alternative?

Studio-Swaim

Thanks for the tips guys.

Here is a link to the file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22458232/HogwartsCastle.max  (83.6 MB) created by "kingku" on the weblog at videocopilot.net

The terms and conditions can be found here:   http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23277

If anyone can convert to .fmz please let me know here.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe

I have a minute this morning to take a look at a conversion. Do you still need it?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Anton,

Ok, great -- are we correct that you are volunteering to help get the ball rolling, and add content submitted by other users (and check the models for quality -- and handle any copyright issues)?  If so, thank you very much.  If "you" (the formZ users in general) are able to demonstrate that there is sufficient interest, and that users are indeed willing to post files -- rather than simply wanting to download them, then this can be a great start. 

If there is enough interest and a "critical mass" of projects can be reached to demonstrate the viability of such a site, we could then "take it over" if you no longer wish to maintain the site on a longer term basis.  Or, if as some users have suggested this can be taken to the next level and some models can be for purchase (and you want to handle that aspect), then feel free to claim a percentage as your fee for your efforts.

Hello Tech.

Sorry I`v been out from computer and could not reply promptly.

As for your question: let`s see what I can do. I gonna try to find some time to render and upload my own models and designs first. After I want to open upload option for other formziers to my site. Than I I`ll ask if guys from say Minotti, B&B Italia and the others who`s models I have converted if them don`t mind I share their  furniture and stuff models in FormZ format. This is basically my plan.

Hope I will have time for all of it. Or I will be overwhelmed with work which is even better.

Best,

Anton.

Your the first to offer. Yes please.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe

The model had a few issues in Max that I did not have time to correct.   I tried the export out in a few different formats and found that OBJ gave me the cleanest geometry. Unfortunately, it also exported the whole castle out as one object which took a while to expode.  FBX was a complete mess and 3DS was as well.  Lots of missing geometry.  DWG export ran into the typical problem of objects with too many facets on some geometry so those get deleted. The DWG did maintain the separate colors though.  I think I will start by sending you the OBJ to see if that meets your needs.

What version of Form.z are you using?  How would you like to receive the file?

Hello Tech.

Sorry I`v been out from computer and could not reply promptly.

As for your question: let`s see what I can do. I gonna try to find some time to render and upload my own models and designs first. After I want to open upload option for other formziers to my site. Than I I`ll ask if guys from say Minotti, B&B Italia and the others who`s models I have converted if them don`t mind I share their  furniture and stuff models in FormZ format. This is basically my plan.

Hope I will have time for all of it. Or I will be overwhelmed with work which is even better.

Best,

Anton.

Hi Anton,

Sounds great!  And if you find any quality furniture designers that have models with issues, perhaps they can be cleaned up before saved in the FMZ library.  

(And If you find a case where you need advice on cleaning / fixing geometry, just let us know,..)

As we begin to assemble a stock of models, we would be well served by having standards for models. TurboSquid has spent quit a bit of effort in this area and we should at least be aware of what a functioning "warehouse" could require.  Here is a link to their FAQ section. https://support.turbosquid.com/entries/20220577-checkmate-certification-faq?locale=1

Z, please feel free to remove this link if you feel it is inappropriate.

Thanks for reading.

Joe

Hi Anton,

Sounds great!  And if you find any quality furniture designers that have models with issues, perhaps they can be cleaned up before saved in the FMZ library.  

(And If you find a case where you need advice on cleaning / fixing geometry, just let us know,..)

Hello Tech.

Thank`s for offering.

Best,

Anton.

Anton

Email me if you get this up and running.  I have several hundred models I could add over time.  Mostly furniture and accessories. 

Andrew West

Hi Andrew.

Sounds great!

Thank you for supporting this sharing Idea.

Oh! Just in case: I would definitely need your e-mail for that  :D

Best,

Anton.

As we begin to assemble a stock of models, we would be well served by having standards for models. TurboSquid has spent quit a bit of effort in this area and we should at least be aware of what a functioning "warehouse" could require.  Here is a link to their FAQ section. https://support.turbosquid.com/entries/20220577-checkmate-certification-faq?locale=1

Z, please feel free to remove this link if you feel it is inappropriate.

Thanks for reading.

Joe

Especially on the subject of furniture, there are models and there are models. Different people will have different requirements of the models. Some people will want just a complete presentation of a piece of furniture, to use in a scene, whereas others intend to make the furniture, and need it to be constructed from individual parts, preferably with suitable object names, layers, and grouping of, for example, the parts which make up a door or drawer. I had a look at the 3dSky repository which Andrew West mentioned. Most are in max format which we can't open, without the Autodesk software, but I did find one in obj. It was complete but a single 3d object so only suitable to use in a scene, maybe some of the pay-for ones were more comprehensive. It might be a good idea to release 2 versions of a model: a free or cheap one which consists of a single object, and a pay-for one which contains the individual object parts. For the former, use in [a scene] could in some cases positively generate product sales for the manufacturer, whereas in the case of the second, there could be negative rights issues if the item is replicated in the flesh. I personally prefer to design and make my own furniture, but it can be time consuming, but it can be useful to use other models as accessories to compose a scene, for which a single object model is often sufficient.

Alan

I found that many of the models on 3D Sky include OBJ and FBX formats.  These are in their Pro models which cost $6 each.  A real bargain when compared to Turbo Squid.  It would take me many hours to model something along these lines:

http://3dsky.org/3dmodels/show/frigerio_davis

http://3dsky.org/3dmodels/show/b_b_italia_charles_large

http://3dsky.org/3dmodels/show/mersedes_s65

Hi folks.

The Lights page is up and running. Also there is a Facebook page just in case  :) . Please don`t pay attention to other pages except Accessories as they are just a part of a template.

And of course you are welcome to share your models as well. I`d be glad to read about it if you will write me something at av@re-construction.house.

Best,

Anton Voloshin.

Quote from Tech earlier:

"As Andrew notes, SketchUp is notorious for creating bad geometry, and if you look on their forums, their users are repeatedly encountering this problem, and as such, they are searching for new programs to use that do not have this limitation.  Fortunately for us, we have been able to convert a lot of these users to formZ users so they can build models that can be utilized throughout the entire design, and construction process."

I vouch for that, being one of them, though that is not the only reason for migrating...not by a long way.

Hello dear colleagues.

I mostly finished working on models sharing site. Would be glad to hear critics from you. Also models sharing is more than welcome.

Best,

Anton Voloshin.

Anton, you have worked hard! Well done. I have not had any success downloading. I have logged in with password. Maybe a confirmation email will turn up but not yet. Clicked on some and nothing, clicked on one and I got a new page come up saying page unavailable.

Best, Alan.

Anton, you have worked hard! Well done. I have not had any success downloading. I have logged in with password. Maybe a confirmation email will turn up but not yet. Clicked on some and nothing, clicked on one and I got a new page come up saying page unavailable.

Best, Alan.

Hello Alan.

Sorry you experiencing troubles. You are not supposed to wait for confirmation e-mail. Let me double check what is going on. I see the same problem here.

Anton.

Would you please check it now. I changed some settings and now it seems to be working.

Also it could be wix (the platform I created site on) trouble.

So as picture opens you may click at tiny little writhing "Go to the link" at the bottom. And that`s download link. 

Anton, I still haven't got round to inspecting your models, but a couple of things have come to mind on the subject of standards.

One is that there is going to be a divide between metric and imperial users. [idealistically both are flawed, I favour a metric system in base 12 or 16 or greater but that's another matter, though we won't compete with superior intelligence without it :)

The other, is what tolerance do we work with? I have myself had issues with my own models, which is annoying where a measurement of a cabinet has turned out to be 1000.0002 mm or similar. There are tolerance settings in formZ but I wish everything could be perfectly accurate so these issues don't arise, but not all fractions do divide into decimal perfectly. I have tried to correct my models but FormZ doesn't always want to play when zoomed in by massive amounts.

Maybe we will have to put up with some level of inaccuracy and reduce the number of decimal places in our dimensioning.

I wonder if the FormZ engine works in metric or imperial and converts from one to the other?

Hi Alan,

Just copy a file into your project and it will automatically adopt your Working Units.

Of course, that assumes that the models are accurate, and not flawed in other ways (and just downloading a Warehouse file and resaving as .FMZ is generally insufficient to produce quality geometry...)

Archived