Photo

Tutorial for seat cusions - buttons, seams, etc?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

Jon,

If you have any issues with FBX, have you submitted any reports?  If not, please do this so we can see what you describe. Send the file in an email to support@formz.com and include any relevant details (if beyond what you mentioned above).

I unfortunately can't send the FBX to you as it's a client project but I did source the problem. As part of the import test I converted 5 external .vrmesh objects (Trees) (Vray external reference files, much like Maxwell's MXS format). These were the root of problem with the FBX import in FormZ.

After they were removed the scene imports more rapidly but it's still far slower the the likes of Modo, Max, Maya & C4D (my import tests so far show FormZ to be 5-10 times slower).

Thea doesn't as yet have external file referencing enabled and FormZ doesn't provide for this beyond Components (which aren't fit for purpose for high poly vegetation, vehicles etc); so the only option the artist has for high poly vegetation, vehicles etc is to embed them within the FMZ scene file.

Back to the FBX import itself. It would be useful if at the very least you could provide a loading status progress bar (help manage user expectations with lengthy load times).

1cgeF.png

Also a more flexible set of import options would be useful. The animation and deformation stuff can be ignored from the options detailed below but the other options are very useful. In particular it's useful to be able to disable materials when importing FBX scenes that make use of 3rd party render engines. This way you have the option work with your imported geometry from 'ground zero' rather that attempting to import a bunch of material definitions that aren't appropriate for FormZ (or whatever render engine you happen to be using within FormZ).

fXVG.png

#42 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the info.  If the trees themselves are not confidential, can you please place 5 of these in a project, export it as FBX, and if importing that into formZ has the same issue, please email it to support@formz.com so we can investigate and get it corrected.

#43 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russian Federation

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

If you have any issues with FBX, have you submitted any reports?  

Hello Tech

I can submit report:

This is my sample file:

Attached File  fbx attempt.fmz.zip   702KB   69 downloads

These are the default export settings:

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 22.36.13.png

And this is the .fbx file I get after import:

Attached File  fbx attempt.fbx.zip   3.3KB   59 downloads

As you might notice it is empty.

Best,

Anton.

Anton Voloshin,

architect, interior designer, product designer.

#44 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hi Anton,

Yes, if you export with Facetted objects as Faces, then it is not exporting properly.  Setting this back to Objects will then export a proper file.   Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.

If you find any other issues, please email them directly to support@formz.com so we can properly log and fix these.

#45 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationWestcliffe Colorado

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

+1 for Bullet Physics!   

• AHTOH likes this

Christopher Lund

Neurascenic - Industrial Design