AutoDesSys

FBX Beta Import / Export Translator now available!

Tech

NOTE -- these download links are no longer necessary because the current update now includes the FBX format:

EDIT -- This plugin is now included with the formZ 8.5.3 Update, which has now been released.   Please see this post for more information:

http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/3518-form•z-853-update-released/

Enjoy!

We are pleased to announce that we now have a Beta version of our FBX Translator available for formZ 8.5.0.2 (or later), which you can use to Import and Export .FBX files.

This is an early beta of a FBX translator (import and export) for formZ 8.5. To install, drag the uncompressed “FBX” folder into the “Plugins” folder of your formZ 8: formZ 8.5... Pro Application folder and restart formZ.

Know issues:
- Exporter currently writes smooth objects as facetted (this is work in progress).
- Exporter may create duplicate image fils from textures used in materials.

If you encounter any issues, please report them via email to support@formz.com, and include a simple file that shows the issue that you are having, and we will do our best to get this addressed ASAP.

We hope you like this new plugin, and thanks in advance for your feedback!

Quite seriously, I can't believe quite how excited I am by an IO translator!

I'm more concerned with the importer than the exporter at this stage as I have a huge collection of assets from other DCC applications which I can now hopefully bring into FormZ scenes with ease.

Can't wait to get stuck in.

:)

Hi Jon,

Great, good to hear!

One other important note -- while the FBX Plugin is not compatible with formZ Free, it will work with both formZ Pro AND formZ Jr, so if any formZ Jr users need FBX, they can give it a try too!  ;)

Thanks for the early feedback. We updated the FBX plugin today to address a few issues that have been reported so far (primarily some FBX files would not import). The new plugin can be downloaded from the same links as the first post above.

Not all animations can be handled as FBX can contain types of animations that form•Z does not support (like skin, or character animations). We expect to be able to add basic key frame animation of objects and cameras soon. If you have FBX files that contain a particular animations that you would like us to support, please email them to support@formz.com so that we can use these as test cases.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet but I would say that getting the basics right first is a bigger priority than animation stuff at this point. Animation data never works that well even when using FBX to translate scene data between Maya and 3ds Max and they're both Autodesk products (developers of FBX). Attempting to get animation data working for both import and export to all the main DCC applications and game engine technologies such as Unity and Unreal Engine could end up being a development rabbit hole at this early stage.

Accurate geometry, basic material definitions, cameras and automatic smoothing would be my preferred priority.

OMG! :lol: OMG! :lol: OMG! :lol:  Excited and pleased?... Uh yeah i guess it's nice to have FBX... ;)  Have just used the plug-in to import a nice well made model into formZ and it worked perfectly. At some point in the next few days I hope I can try exporting one of my smaller models, and then eventually work my way up to being brave enough to export  something bigger. Thrilled to finally see we are this close...

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Had access to 8.5.0.2 a few days ago....tried converting a few 3dmax and revit .fbx exports (Architecture & Furniture models).......about 30% (mostly larger building models) crashed Z with an attempt to write data at address error.

Those that opened were mostly simple furniture models......about 50% of these opened perfectly (along with textures) ..... the other half opened fine (with textures or links) but objects had been redistributed around the zero.

The end result was easy enough to correct in simple models by repositioning objects.....but in more complex models this obviously is a little tiresome.

May get access again soon...so, if I can I will send some none confidential files that failed.

....on PC windows 7pro

PS...

Another rather tiresome issue is the none support of progressive jpg's and nvidea's .dds files which are supported by fbx but not by FormZ?

Currently the only route is to convert all maps prior to import......in the case of jpgs saving to 'baseline' will enable correct import (as the jpg file has the same name)

But with .dds files these have to be converted to desired format and then re-selected in the material editor....Not ideal.

Hi Martin,

We have tested many FBX imports and have fixed the issues that we have encountered.  As noted in the first posting above, if you do encounter any issues and you would like these fixed, please SEND THE FILE so we can investigate and correct the issue(s).

Currently DDS and Progressive JPG images are not supported, but we can see if at least the Progressive JPG's can be supported at some point in the future.  Thanks for your suggestion(s).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tech,

I tried to get this going but it is crashing Formz when exporting FBX file.

Steps:

* moved OSX fbx folder in plugins folder

* I will see the FBX format in export pallette

* exported simple file with preset options

* FormZ crashes

what I am doing wrong?

• 1 year later...

I am having issues with FBX export (to Unity)

FormZ doesn't seem to be collecting groups properly.

I've tried using the option, As Groups, with no change in the file.

anybody have experience with FBX and FormZ?

Bart

I am having the same problem, when trying to get models from z to C4D

Archived