AutoDesSys

formZ stops Undo

DMclean

Dear Andrew,

Glad we could help with your file.  With regards to Norton Utilities, did you make sure to disable this, and your Anti-Virus software when you installed formZ in the first place?

With retards to your linked image files, if you go to the File Menu: Project Info: Linked Files, you should be able to check if they are linked properly, and if not -- relink them there.  And if they are not linked properly, after you relink them, make a screen capture of the Linked Files window.  Then quit formZ and reopen the file and check the Linked File once more.   Are they still linked properly?  (If not, please make a screen capture of the new Linked Files window, and send these two screen captures to us so we can see if there are any clues as to what is going on here.

Also, are you using any third party rendering programs, or just RenderZone?

• 1 month later...

The undo error just happened again.

I managed to get a screen capture.

I had just created a sphere and was doing a Reshape:Taper to get it egg shaped.

I didn't like the shape so I was hitting UNDO repeatedly when I got the error.

Undo's no longer work at all. even for new actions.

must restart FormZ  to reset

Windows 7 (64 bit)

FZ 8.5.3

post-225-0-98853800-1455925114_thumb.jpg

I've been trying to get up to speed the last few days by going through all the tutorials (coming directly from V6.6).  This problem happens continuously throughout the day on my version of 8.5.3 in Windows 7 (64-bit).  I am able to get the function back by restarting FZ, but it is necessary sometimes to rebuild the last object created.

Hi Bart & Kevin,

We are still investigating this issue, but we have not encountered the problem, so we are not sure what would be causing this -- and thus we don't know what to fix.  First, please double check your Preferences and make sure that your Scratch Disk is set to System Temp (Default).  If you are continually having problems with this setting, then (and only then) should you change it to another location, where you have sufficient space and read / write permissions.

If you continue to have any further issues with the Undos, it is possible that a specific operation may be causing the problem.  When you notice the issue, restart formZ (which should fix the problem) and repeat your operations.  If you can repeat the Undo error, please let us know the steps.  If we can reproduce this here, then we will know what to fix to solve the issue, and you will know what to avoid until the issue can be corrected (which we will do ASAP).

Thanks Z,

So far this is too intermittent for me to reproduce.

My best guess is that it has to do with a project saved on a network drive and the auto save temporarily looses association with the network file location. Perhaps when Autosave tries to save when in the middle of a modelling operation??

I can't back that up with any real evidence yet, just a hunch.

I do have scratch set to System Default. and Auto Save set to Project file.

Maybe I'll try to set Auto save to Copy to local drive...

I will try to update if I can get anything more definitive.

Bart

OK 

I seem to have a repeatable cause for the undo error!

File attached:

[EDIT]

actually, the steps below are unnecessary, all i have to do is drag a material onto the model and try to undo.

clearly there is something wrong with the model

Steps:

open the attached file

Tool Options>Topi;ogical level=segment

pick the line near the base of the wall that separates the whitw area from the blue "sky" textured area

T-form>Move (One copy) up some distance. staying locked in the vertical direction (32" or so) its important that the new arc stay on the surface of the wall

Reshape>imprint the new arc onto the wall surface.

at this point I can undo, no problem.

Now, drag a new material from the material palate onto the wall.

try to Undo. I get an error every time/

Note: If I first select a face and then use the Paint tool to color the face, I have no problems.

It seems to be the dragging of a material onto the model that causes the problem.

Untitled3.zip

Hi Bartjuan,

We are getting a texture mapping color size issue when dragging the material and undoing -- but we are not getting the Undos to fail.  Once you follow your steps, if you then draw another object, you can't undo it?

And if so, does anyone else reproduce what Bartjuan notes?

Z.

If I drag the material over the wall. I get the mapping/color size issue, if I try to undo after that, I get the undo error.

However, like you say, if - after dragging the new material over the wall, I then create a new object, move it, etc. , I can undo just fine.

With the exception that the material error is never "undone"  but it does not give me an error dialog.

I have not tried rebooting my system after this started. I can see if that changes anything.....

[edit]

Upon REBOOT i am no longer ale to reproduce the Undo Error

When undos stopped working for me yesterday using FormZ Free, I was not doing any modelling changes. The operations involved at that time were set view, panning and zooming, dimensioning, altering visability of layers, isolating and revealing, grouping briefly and ungrouping, unlock and lock groups. Normally I can use undo after having temporarily placed some dimensions, but on that occasion I couldn't which makes me think the cause may be more random rather than related to material mapping.

Gentlemen,

It sounds like you may  be having a problem with your scratch disk where the Undos are stored.  First, have you ever had any problems with the Undos shortly after rebooting your computer, or does this only happen after an extended time of working?  And how frequently do you typically reboot your computer?   (In general, we would recommend rebooting at least a few times a week.  If you typically go for longer periods of time between reboots, try rebooting daily and see if that affects the issue.)

Next, what are your Preference: Scratch Disk settings?  In general we recommend using the System Defaults, but if you are having trouble with this, make a new folder on your Desktop or Documents, and set this as your Scratch Disk.  Once set, relaunch formZ and continue working.  Does that affect the problem?

I doubt this undo problem is connected to the location of the scrap file because I just did 3 presses of my undo shortcut, but it was upon the fourth click that the error message popped up. I think if there are groups involved it presents more of a challenge for the undo operation. Screen shot of the one that just happened here. Modify split and union operations were involved recently.

post-242-0-12224800-1456747326_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

It sounds like you may  be having a problem with your scratch disk where the Undos are stored.  First, have you ever had any problems with the Undos shortly after rebooting your computer, or does this only happen after an extended time of working?  And how frequently do you typically reboot your computer?   (In general, we would recommend rebooting at least a few times a week.  If you typically go for longer periods of time between reboots, try rebooting daily and see if that affects the issue.)

Next, what are your Preference: Scratch Disk settings?  In general we recommend using the System Defaults, but if you are having trouble with this, make a new folder on your Desktop or Documents, and set this as your Scratch Disk.  Once set, relaunch formZ and continue working.  Does that affect the problem?

Hi Karin,

Sorry you are having trouble.  If you can answer the above questions, and / or have any further clues, please let us know.

It is very odd that there are a large handful of people who have encountered this, but no one has been able to determine a pattern.  Perhaps taking a few quick notes when it does occur of the last few things you did when you encounter this, and then restarting and trying those steps again will help determine the cause?

If we can reproduce the problem here, then we can get it corrected, but it is difficult to do anything when we don't know where to start...

Archived