#21 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire, UK

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

By the way, regarding autosave, I have it switched it off on the basis it might use precious resources at a time I or FZ need them for something else. The incremental tool gives more user control, with longer or shorter intervals according to the type of work being done.

FZ8.5 pro with Renderzone on Windows 7 64bit.

Family Plan.

#22 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hi Andrew,

We sent back a fixed file within 20 minutes of when we received yours.  Did that file work properly for you?

We would recommend that you run a hard disk scan of the drive where you saved the file.  Does that find  and / or fix any problems?

#23 Andrew West

Andrew West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

I have downloaded the file and I am working furiously to get this project out on my deadline.  Once I get it done I have 11 other projects to deal with so scanning my hard drive will have to wait until I leave for the evening.  Norton does a complete system scan twice a day.  Thank you for your help debugging my file.  It would be really helpful to know just what was causing this issue.

Thanks

#24 Andrew West

Andrew West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

One thing to note:  I had to re link all my texture files to this model from an old version of the model since the new version was corrupt.  Once I did that (add to project) I noticed that the siding was of an older jpeg file.   So I loaded the new siding jpeg file into my material parameter.  Now for the interesting part:  in both shaded work and shaded full the model shows the old siding.  However, in Renderzone the new siding image shows up.  Weird.  This goes back  for months now.  It still seems that the image files are being cached somewhere and that the program refuses to purge the old files once a new one is loaded.  I have had this issue on several models and even on a Maxwell model that was sent to a render farm.  All the materials looked correct in my model but packaging to render farm loaded the old materials.  Even if I copy the model and paste it into a new file the problem persists.

This is why I asked yesterday in a different post if it was possible to purge the rendering memory like the old days.  Tech suggested that closing and re opening the model will accomplish this.  It does not.  What is your take on this?

Thanks

#25 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:44 AM

Sometimes in the past I had problems getting materials to update to the newer image. What I did was to change the geometry for the material preview from say cube to sphere or to plane and then the new image would load and the texture would then render correctly in shaded renderers.

#26 FZnoob

FZnoob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:07 AM

+1 for the undo bug-a-boo.

Happens every once in a while. I don't see any particular pattern to the behavior.

Restarting the app solves it for me.

Overall 8.5 is much more stable for me than previous versions.

#27 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:08 AM

Dear Andrew,

Glad we could help with your file.  With regards to Norton Utilities, did you make sure to disable this, and your Anti-Virus software when you installed formZ in the first place?

With retards to your linked image files, if you go to the File Menu: Project Info: Linked Files, you should be able to check if they are linked properly, and if not -- relink them there.  And if they are not linked properly, after you relink them, make a screen capture of the Linked Files window.  Then quit formZ and reopen the file and check the Linked File once more.   Are they still linked properly?  (If not, please make a screen capture of the new Linked Files window, and send these two screen captures to us so we can see if there are any clues as to what is going on here.

Also, are you using any third party rendering programs, or just RenderZone?

#28 Andrew West

Andrew West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

Tech

I always disable Norton when I install Form.z or any add ons.  As for third party rendering programs I have Maxwell and one other that I can not name.  Do you think they could have anything to do with this issue?

#29 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

Hi Andrew,

It is possible that beta rendering plugins could cause issues with materials.  Perhaps you should keep an eye on whether it matters if that plugin is loaded or not...

#30 andrew

andrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

Has anyone on Windows experienced this ?  Is it just a Mac issue?

#31 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

Hi Andrew,

We have had a few people mention this issue, but other than that we have received very little information, and we have not been able to reproduce it on Mac or Windows.  Sounds like a good question though...

#32 Bartjuan

Bartjuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMonterey,CA

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:38 PM

The undo error just happened again.

I managed to get a screen capture.

I had just created a sphere and was doing a Reshape:Taper to get it egg shaped.

I didn't like the shape so I was hitting UNDO repeatedly when I got the error.

Undo's no longer work at all. even for new actions.

must restart FormZ  to reset

Windows 7 (64 bit)

FZ 8.5.3

Attached Thumbnails

• undo.jpg

Edited by Bartjuan, 19 February 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#33 kmwhitt

kmwhitt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

I've been trying to get up to speed the last few days by going through all the tutorials (coming directly from V6.6).  This problem happens continuously throughout the day on my version of 8.5.3 in Windows 7 (64-bit).  I am able to get the function back by restarting FZ, but it is necessary sometimes to rebuild the last object created.

#34 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

Hi Bart & Kevin,

We are still investigating this issue, but we have not encountered the problem, so we are not sure what would be causing this -- and thus we don't know what to fix.  First, please double check your Preferences and make sure that your Scratch Disk is set to System Temp (Default).  If you are continually having problems with this setting, then (and only then) should you change it to another location, where you have sufficient space and read / write permissions.

If you continue to have any further issues with the Undos, it is possible that a specific operation may be causing the problem.  When you notice the issue, restart formZ (which should fix the problem) and repeat your operations.  If you can repeat the Undo error, please let us know the steps.  If we can reproduce this here, then we will know what to fix to solve the issue, and you will know what to avoid until the issue can be corrected (which we will do ASAP).

#35 Bartjuan

Bartjuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMonterey,CA

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Z,

So far this is too intermittent for me to reproduce.

My best guess is that it has to do with a project saved on a network drive and the auto save temporarily looses association with the network file location. Perhaps when Autosave tries to save when in the middle of a modelling operation??

I can't back that up with any real evidence yet, just a hunch.

I do have scratch set to System Default. and Auto Save set to Project file.

Maybe I'll try to set Auto save to Copy to local drive...

I will try to update if I can get anything more definitive.

Bart

#36 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:39 PM

Hi Bart,

Ok, thanks for the "hunch details."  We will test with a similar situation, and report back if we are able to reproduce any issues.

#37 dpwr

dpwr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

This also happens to me, Mac 10.11.3 and FZ RZ 8.5.3... Saving files locally to my HD, and I do not have auto-save turned on.

FYI.

#38 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire, UK

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

For the record, undo stopped working in FormZ Free which I was using in my workshop today. There was some sort of error message popped up in FormZ about it. I have not checked the scratch file settings yet.

FZ8.5 pro with Renderzone on Windows 7 64bit.

Family Plan.

#39 Bartjuan

Bartjuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMonterey,CA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

OK 

I seem to have a repeatable cause for the undo error!

File attached:

[EDIT]

actually, the steps below are unnecessary, all i have to do is drag a material onto the model and try to undo.

clearly there is something wrong with the model

Steps:

open the attached file

Tool Options>Topi;ogical level=segment

pick the line near the base of the wall that separates the whitw area from the blue "sky" textured area

T-form>Move (One copy) up some distance. staying locked in the vertical direction (32" or so) its important that the new arc stay on the surface of the wall

Reshape>imprint the new arc onto the wall surface.

at this point I can undo, no problem.

Now, drag a new material from the material palate onto the wall.

try to Undo. I get an error every time/

Note: If I first select a face and then use the Paint tool to color the face, I have no problems.

It seems to be the dragging of a material onto the model that causes the problem.

Attached Files

Edited by Bartjuan, 24 February 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#40 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

Hi Bartjuan,

We are getting a texture mapping color size issue when dragging the material and undoing -- but we are not getting the Undos to fail.  Once you follow your steps, if you then draw another object, you can't undo it?

And if so, does anyone else reproduce what Bartjuan notes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users