AutoDesSys

IES use in numbers

Spacer

Hi,

I am using FZ 7.4.4 and Maxwell 2.7.3.0.

I have lot of IES sportlights, and when i crank up display resolution, the render doesn't happen(no "fail" message, it just sits there for  hours after voxellisation). At a lower (about a half) screen resolution it worked even with multilight.

I would like to use multilight, but since they are the same IES light repeated, and I don't mid if they are all on the same slider. Is there some way to reduce the weight of all these lights and gather them together on one slider?

In order what will reduce memory use?

Using non IES?

Making an emitter map which corresponds to all the points and have just one e mitter object??

Other?(a bit of a hassel but I can do it)

Thanks for any input-

Peter

Another set of lighting questions.

I created a  TIFF file to cover a large plane and with the alpha channel allowing only small areas to show through wher eI want my uplights to be.the TIFF is quite heavy(30Mo). 4346 px x 1800 PX: here is one corner of it:

post-9808-0-90874200-1449833083_thumb.png

Then using an emitter present I creat an emitter surface style with this map on shaded, and in MXED with the TIFF.

But it doesn't seem to work when i render.. AM i wrong to imagine that a large plane with an emitter material applied can then be masked by an alpha channel to allow only certain points to show through?

post-9808-0-14006200-1449833305_thumb.jpg

another question: If I have many IES lights in formZ grouped, will the material override at group level replace the IES with basic light settings from FZ, or do i have to manually go through and change each light to another light type?

any advice?

Thanks-

Peter

I have lot of IES sportlights, and when i crank up display resolution, the render doesn't happen(no "fail" message, it just sits there for  hours after voxellisation). At a lower (about a half) screen resolution it worked even with multilight.

It sounds like you are running out of memory, so everything is being paged to disk. The rendering will eventually complete, but it will take orders of magnitude longer than if you were using RAM only.

Solutions are to use a system with more memory, use a lower resolution, disable multilight, switch to 64-bit version if you are using 32-bit, use Maxwell 3.2 which is more efficient in many areas, optimize your file, or a combination of these.

I just created a room with 50 individual Maxwell 3.2 spotlights and rendered it. The memory use at

800x600, Multilight Enabled: 1.5GB.

3200x2400, Multilight Enabled: 17.5GB

3200x2400, Multilight Disabled: 890MB

I would like to use multilight, but since they are the same IES light repeated, and I don't mid if they are all on the same slider. Is there some way to reduce the weight of all these lights and gather them together on one slider?

In Maxwell Render, it is possible (as of Maxwell 3.2) to select multiple Multilight sliders and adjust them all at once.

If formZ, it is not possible because light group overrides are not supported though the SDK. This is our users' most-requested feature of AutoDesSys, so hopefully they will provide support for this soon.

But it doesn't seem to work when i render.. AM i wrong to imagine that a large plane with an emitter material applied can then be masked by an alpha channel to allow only certain points to show through?

You would not use an alpha channel, just RGB. In this case, each light colored pixel will emit light. However, the effect will not be highly directional. That is, the plane will illuminate similarly to a large television screen might, not collection of spotlights. So while great for simulating computer monitors, this approach won't work for your application.

Spotlights ("Cone" lights) use an entirely different technology in Maxwell 3.2 which is many times faster than the  spotlights of previous versions. If possible, I would recommend using the Maxwell 3.2 spotlight approach. (Note that this won't help if you are using Maxwell 2.7.)

Please attempt to render your project with Maxwell again (Select Display> Maxwell Render). Then, open the plugin Log (Select Extensions> Maxwell Render> Log). Click on "Save Log" and save to your Desktop or other convenient location, then post the resulting log here, or send it to pylon_support.jpg

We will look at the particulars of your scene and make further recommendations.

Archived