AutoDesSys

universal Component explosion

AsOne

I was working on a file and made several simple components and had a few copies of them.  Then while altering one something happened and ALL my components in the entire file exploded.  Was this user error or is there some sort of "explode" all command I could have accidentally hit.  It also seems that every single group within the project is now permanently ungrouped.  

I have checked & unchecked Unlock Components and Groups a couple times to investigate.  I also restarted the program to no avail.

I don't have time to do an analysis right now as I'm under a deadline and for this project I will just live with it....

...BUT it just seems like every time I try to use Components there eventually seems to be some issue that crops up.  Definitely dissuades from taking advantage of Components.  Hopefully with version 9 there can be some stability on that front.  

Anyone else have similar Component issues?

ASONE,

We have not heard of an issue where all components will explode with one command, but if you can send us your file we will investigate the problem.

Also, look forward to a number of improvements regarding components in the next update!

I have had similar (can't remember if exact) problems in the past. I remember support suggesting under File: Project Settings: Project Files, not having File Optimization set to far towards Smaller Files. I also thought this issue was fixed. Support can chime in.

Gary

I have that set to Open Fast.

I copied a few components from my problem file to a new file.  I copied the black component (Simpson ECCLL666) into the larger component (trellis bracket).  So there was a Component within a component.  Can't reproduce all the Components exploding.  However, did have some issues:

I had a full program crash.

I had the Trellis Bracket Component not update correctly upon exiting editing once. 

I had a "ghost" of the Simpson component on screen after deleting it from the Trellis Bracket and exiting editing. Could be my video card?

I also did another test copying the Simpson into the Trellis Bracket (see component palette).  I did this via copy/paste...not Unlock + Move (copy) tool.  I then exited Trellis Bracket and made 3 copies of Trellis Bracket (which now contains the Simpson).  I went back and edited the original Simpson and the edits do NOT show up in the Simpson copies within the Trellis Bracket.  However, a copy of the Simpson outside the Trellis Bracket produces the correct edited component....Then I edited the Simpson component within the Trellis Bracket component exited all components and ALL the Simpson brackets changed to the correct edits (1st and 2nd edits).  

I rechecked by editing only the original Simpson component and still it only updates the copies outside the Trellis Bracket.  

All of my edits were made using right click Edit Component.  Not unlocking components.

My original problem did come from a similar procedure:  I copied the Simpson component into Trellis Bracket, worked on the Trellis Bracket a bit, exploded the Simpson component, copied some elements from the exploded Simpson component onto Trellis Bracket (the bolts), then deleted the Simpson component from Trellis Bracket, exited Trellis Bracket and everything was exploded.  This was part of a larger file with a lot more elements in it.  

Mac OS 10.9.5

Mac Mini (specs in my user name below)

FormZ Pro 8.5.0.2

Hope that makes sense and helps at all.  Uploading file now...Look for file "test 3.fmz" in your ftp account.

Archived