AutoDesSys

Parametric windows and doors

Its great that FormZ now has this extra paramtric arm doing progressive research and adding more tools. Something which I think would be really useful in this day and age is a parametric window and door system. But not just a set of pre-made objects, rather ones that the user can create themselves. So we could store a bunch of user created window profiles, set number of main divisions and position and then also a subset for glazing bars, make user defined objects for cills and headers etc that would stretch with the window etc. All based on a simple spline outline.

Is this the sort of thing the lab would be looking into?

Cheers

Its great that FormZ now has this extra paramtric arm doing progressive research and adding more tools. Something which I think would be really useful in this day and age is a parametric window and door system. But not just a set of pre-made objects, rather ones that the user can create themselves. So we could store a bunch of user created window profiles, set number of main divisions and position and then also a subset for glazing bars, make user defined objects for cills and headers etc that would stretch with the window etc. All based on a simple spline outline.

Is this the sort of thing the lab would be looking into?

Cheers

I also really hope this would be on the cards for FormZ labs because it would make a world of difference to my workflow. The ways the door and window options currently work for components is so clunky and outdated, it could do with a serious upgrade.

+1, this could be very useful!!

but please consider also also parametric fences...

a really cool implementation can be seen here

please have a also a look to the videos about windows and about shingles of lwcad. using it here and it is incredibly versatile.

in general, an integration of parametric tools with components stored as libraries could be extremely powerful!

• 3 months later...

+1

There isn't really a software package out there that has gotten this right yet, but yes something that works with user-defined profiles, and some method for intersecting those profiles, and then just being able to adjust size and divisions without distortion, and maybe save/ switch between presets would be awesome.

Archived