AutoDesSys

Transform Controller

etroxel

After moving the Transform controller, deselecting an object, and then re-invoking the Transform tool on the object, the controller has moved back to its original position. Please make it so that it stays where it gets moved to until I need to move it again later. 

Hi Evan,

This is as designed.  The Transform Tool always uses the Object Origin for its start -- and the Transform Controller option is only intended as a temporary adjustment.  If you always want the controller to be in a different location, use the Edit Object Axes tool first...

(Perhaps we can add an option to the Transform tool for Transform Controller temporarily, or permanently to allow it to also adjust the object axes in the future...)

I agree!  This is incredibly frustrating, a long with Axes that change from the World Axes.  Can we please have a way to lock object axes to the same as the world axes?  That way X is always X, Y always Y, and Z always Z?

How about an option that allows us to always have the Transform Tool use the Object Centroid?  (Isn't this how scale was handled in v6?)  That is where I find myself always snapping to when moving the Transform Controller.   I do understand the benefit of allowing the controller to be moved, I just think it should default or at least allow option to the centroid without having to constantly move the controller, as it's a lot of extra clicking back to the palette and model.  You state that it is supposed to always use the Object Origin, but in my experience, this changes on its own sometimes...  

Justin,

When you rotate an object, you also rotate its axes.  It would be highly counter intuitive if it were otherwise.  That being said, offering an option for the Transform tool to operate relative to the World origin is a reasonable one, and we will see if this can be added...

Thanks Tech.  This makes sense, and does not really present a problem until you use the Transform tool after rotations, where it can become difficult to tell which Axis is which, relative to the World origin.  Having the option to operate relative the World origin would let the Transform tool work like the Scale tool in v6, and would solve a major frustration we have.  

Consider it high up our list of requests! 

Thanks!

Interesting to look at, but It doesn't really help that they are color coded.  Years and years of scaling the Z (height) of objects in FormZ means that we expect the same result when scaling (transforming) an object in future versions of FormZ, no matter how they were drawn or how many times they have been rotated.  

Then just extrude everything from the XY plane and you won't have to worry.

That's just a temporary work around, as everything we render isn't all new geometry.  We try to reuse parts and components to save time and money for both us and our clients.  It sucks when you bring in geometry from v6 and you are trying to scale it, but can't tell which axes you need to scale since it's not relative to the World.  Having the option to keep Transform relative to the World would fix this, and then we can stop talking about it.  :)

Chris,

When you Transform an object, its origin should be transformed with it.  If you find a case where this is not true, Undo the Transform, Edit the Object Axes to see that current location, and Transform the object again.  If the relationship between the object and the origin has changed, please send the object and let us know exactly how you are transforming it so we can get that corrected.

The discussion above is about using the Transform tool to Transform the Controller -- which does not (currently) have a permanent affect on the origin of the object.

Archived