AutoDesSys

Arbitrary Reference Plane additions

etroxel

I'd like to be able to have buttons that operate similarly to the global reference plane options where we can change the orientation of the plane by 90 degree increments, but starting with an arbitrary plane definition as the origin. There are many times when I'm working in an arbitrary orientation and would like to be able to simply flip the orientation of the reference plane quickly without having to build helper geometry to realign the reference plane to.

Hi Evan,

If you have an arbitrary plane, you can go to the View Menu: Plane Projection: Front or Side views, and that will both choose that projection view AND change the plane 90 degrees as Joe suggests.  And you can easily set key shortcuts for that:

post-5-0-34391600-1447865233_thumb.jpg

However, if you only want to change the plane and not the view, you can easily do that via the Tool Options for the Edit Reference Plane tool:

post-5-0-96544300-1447865232_thumb.jpg

But currently there is not a key shortcut available for that.  If that would save you a lot of time, we can consider adding that for the future...

Yes, I'm aware of the View > Plane Projection options. I was using those and this got me thinking that it would great to be able to switch to those while working in 3d without having to go into orthographic views. The way it is currently implemented is leftover from what I consider the old way of working in FormZ. Since v7 with openGL and almost working in 3d perspective entirely, this would be a welcome addition. In other words, I'd like to see this implemented so that you can switch it while staying in a 3d view, not an orthographic view.

I'm not sure having buttons is the solution (like my initial request); perhaps keyboard shortcuts would be enough. Thanks for listening to me think out loud here.

Hi Evan,

If you have an arbitrary plane, you can go to the View Menu: Plane Projection: Front or Side views, and that will both choose that projection view AND change the plane 90 degrees as Joe suggests.  And you can easily set key shortcuts for that:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-11-18 at 11.44.10 AM.jpg

However, if you only want to change the plane and not the view, you can easily do that via the Tool Options for the Edit Reference Plane tool:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-11-18 at 11.45.52 AM.jpg

But currently there is not a key shortcut available for that.  If that would save you a lot of time, we can consider adding that for the future...

This is a great start - I had no idea this existed. I almost never modify the reference plane, so I wouldn't have really had the opportunity to stumble upon this.

Thanks!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-11-18 at 11.45.52 AM.jpg

Archived