Photo
- - - - -

Reshape Tool (user configurable fixed distance presets)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

Reshape tool: ability to reshape by specific numeric distance (repeatedly)  For example, I could set it to 2” and when I click on the face of a cube it would grow by 2”.

(Originally suggested by ASONE)

• Alan Cooper likes this

#2 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

+1

There used to be a dialog for "Height" which was super useful for derive repeated distances. I used a key sct for this dialog (and I made a key sct for the dynamic setting too but I'm away from my computer so I will see what that was called at a later time and repost). This would be great to have back and to have it apply to Extrude, Extend, and Reshape Tools.

#3 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

Hi Setz,

That option is available for Extrude or Extend -- but we can see why it would be nice for Reshape too...

#4 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

Ooooh! I'll have to look for it when I get back to my computer. Is it a global height option that can have its dialog key shortcuted?

#5 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:55 PM

(Options in the Tool Options for those tools...)

#6 Bo Atkinson

Bo Atkinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMaine USA

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:52 AM

Numeric inputs seem useful for modeling repetitive iterations, but implying complex objects....

I have to wonder though, if modeling complex objects feels more effectively handled by including some uses of old fashioned polygonal methods, (including extruding faces). in the sense of not developing too complex an object via Reshape tools alone. I'm leaning towards sectioning the plain, booled objects, separately, then booling just prior to using the Subd tool, for example. This is the beauty of mixing smooth and plain object types, IMO.

I have noticed that complex reshaped objects can sometimes, bear differences from the same thing constructed with old methods. When queried via Tool Options-Pick/ Info...  I'm not complaining at all, as i think these tools are all fabulous already. 

Edited by Bo Atkinson, 21 November 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#7 etroxel

etroxel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:54 AM

I think it's a worthy addition for the reshape tool since that's truly an extrusion and not moving an existing face (even though that's what it looks like since it's a live boolean to the user). I use this a lot with the Extend tool but it doesn't work in many circumstances where reshape does.

#8 etroxel

etroxel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

By the way, I use the 'X' key as my Extend tool keyboard shortcut, and it works very well. I use the tool all the time.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users