103 replies to this topic

#21 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

I'd love to see some sort of implementation of UV mapping that's as intuitive and interactive as all the other mapping tools in formZ... Of course by its nature UV mapping is anything but Intuitive but if anyone can do it it's ADS...  :)

Doug

+1 from me on this.

And a good benchmark on how the process of UV unwrapping can actually be a fun process (can't believe I've just used the word fun in reference to UV mapping!) look no further than 3d Coat. 

http://3d-coat.com/

This short video below shows the simplicity of the 3d Coat workflow nicely (and things are even easier with hard surface geometry).

#22 Walter

Walter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAUSTRIA

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

Please don't forget the disscusion about improvements started in may 2015 about the layout - this would be the major Point for me.

http://forums.formz....ayout#entry6087

#23 DMclean

DMclean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

+1 from me on this.

And a good benchmark on how the process of UV unwrapping can actually be a fun process (can't believe I've just used the word fun in reference to UV mapping!) look no further than 3d Coat. 

http://3d-coat.com/

This short video below shows the simplicity of the 3d Coat workflow nicely (and things are even easier with hard surface geometry).

Yes, 3D coat does have a the nicest implementation I've come across yet. I've used it a few times for items when I've absolutely had to have something UV'ed, but every time I have to export something out and then re-import it's always so jarring, especially as the project gets more and more complex. I guess if I did it more often it would feel more just a part of the process but I'd love to be able to remain inside formZ. Hmmm... perhaps a 3D Coat plug-in... :wacko:

I also can't believe you used the word fun in reference to UV mapping... :rolleyes:

Doug

Edited by DMclean, 05 November 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#24 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

Yes, 3D coat does have a the nicest implementation I've come across yet. I've used it a few times for items when I've absolutely had to have something UV'ed, but every time I have to export something out and then re-import it's always so jarring, especially as the project gets more and more complex. I guess if I did it more often it would feel more just a part of the process but I'd love to be able to remain inside formZ. Hmmm... perhaps a 3D Coat plug-in... :wacko:

I also can't believe you used the word fun in reference to UV mapping... :rolleyes:

Doug

I was really only referencing 3d Coat for the ADS devs. It really does show that there's a more intuitive and friendly way of creating a useful UV unwrapping workflow. 

As for hopping between applications, it's what I have to do all week long with my clients. It's not unusual for me to be working on projects using 3ds Max, Maya, Modo, C4D, FormZ, Mari, Substance Painter/Designer, Nuke/Fusion and Photoshop in the same week (and using a wide variety of render engine technologies to boot). I sometimes forget this is the equivalent of 3d hell for the vast majority of folk!

Edited by jonmoore, 05 November 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#25 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado, USA

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

• alphabetized list of tools in the Tool Manager...see below

•  Reorganize Favorite Tools list by letter (space bar) so that they match the way the NURBS and Subdivision lists are handled.  Look at NURBS vs. Loft organization for example.  I prefer the NURBS organization.  As in Lofts should be:

Loft

Loft Branched

Loft Guided

Loft Path

Loft Perpendicular

not having to hit "B" for Branched Loft, "G" for Guided Loft, etc.

I'm not sure how many tools are not grouped like NURBS, but it's more than just Lofts (Sweeps, Components, Text, etc...)

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 1.10.36 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 1.11.01 PM.png

• jonmoore likes this

FormZ PRO v8.5.  2017 iMac 4.0 GHz quad core i7 24MB RAM and a 2015 Macbook Pro quad core i7 16MB RAM, Modern Architecture in Boulder and Denver Colorado www.ASONEarchitecture.com 

#26 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:26 PM

• alphabetized list of tools in the Tool Manager...see below

•  Reorganize Favorite Tools list by letter (space bar) so that they match the way the NURBS and Subdivision lists are handled.  Look at NURBS vs. Loft organization for example.  I prefer the NURBS organization.  As in Lofts should be:

Loft

Loft Branched

Loft Guided

Loft Path

Loft Perpendicular

not having to hit "B" for Branched Loft, "G" for Guided Loft, etc.

I'm not sure how many tools are not grouped like NURBS, but it's more than just Lofts (Sweeps, Components, Text, etc...)

Excellent idea - especially for my rapidly dilapidating grey matter...

Joking aside, it's a great UX idea that will aid accessibility to users of multiple skill levels - as well as brain capacity.  :)

#27 AC1000

AC1000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

Some kind of "stamp" that shows you the individual and total area of the face(s) when editing multistorey building masses.

In concept modelling it would be nice to have a some kind of immediate information of the floor areas and calculations. Of course you can have the information using ”Measure Quantities” - but not in real time. ( Blender displays the information of the face that tells you area, dimensions etc.  Small numbers locates near segments and center of face. You can turn them on - off.) 

Modelur (urban design) has also nice features when modelling cities. Now I use Form Z for city planning and it is best for that especially when planning concepts of free form architecture. But I’d like to get information and calculations more easily. It would be nice to have constantly updating floor area calculations of free form multi storey building. With Infomation Management tool you can propably calculate floor (Face) areas already?

#28 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

to be more specific about the Tool Manger:

Inside the Tool Manager -

First list the tools by Palette instead of Categories (which combine palettes and have different names than the Palettes).

Then add include an alphabetized list of all Tools as well.

When I want to set shortcuts for tools or add them to my Favorite Tools space bar selector it is a tedious process to locate the actual tool in the Category list.  The Category list is confusing as it doesn't list them by Palette group, which would make a lot more sense IMHO....plus an alphabetized option as well.   

For example there is a Specialties palette and a Text palette.  Why then in the Category list are they both under a Category called "Special?"   

It's all there and relatively simple to use, but with a little reorganization (including the above mentioned listing reordering) could be a lot less Byzantine.  

FormZ PRO v8.5.  2017 iMac 4.0 GHz quad core i7 24MB RAM and a 2015 Macbook Pro quad core i7 16MB RAM, Modern Architecture in Boulder and Denver Colorado www.ASONEarchitecture.com 

#29 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

+1 for real time Face areas and HxWxL for rectangular objects (dia., radius, circumference for circles, etc.)  to be listed in the Pick Tool Attributes or Info or Properties tab perhaps.  Maybe also volume for solids.

though this is easily obtained with Measure Quantities I agree.

#30 Exocubic

Exocubic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

SHEET. METAL. TOOLS.

Including the ability to unfold 3d objects - not break them apart into their component faces. Edge flanges. Hems. Weld beads in 3d that are annotated in Layout automatically. Any way at all to give geometry a given thickness and keep it throughout bending/unbending/cutting/forming. 

Nesting of 2d geometry derived from 3d objects (for laser or water jet cutting).

McMaster-Carr integration - just like those fools at Autodesk have done in Fusion 360.

More real-time, in-viewport rendering options (hidden line, artistic, blueprint) - like those other fools at McNeel have in Rhino.

Holes for real-world fasteners that update in accordance with changes to the fastener. 

I could go on for hours. BUT I also realize that my particular needs aren't everyone's - wish lists always seem like a bunch of kids screaming for their particular favorite flavor of ice cream.

#31 Gustavo

Gustavo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:33 AM

Hi Gustavo,

You can set key shortcuts for topological levels & customize the navigation currently:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-11-05 at 10.00.59 AM.jpg

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-11-05 at 10.00.34 AM.jpg

Awesome!!!

#32 jsiggia

jsiggia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:31 AM

It's been too long since I've opened V 6.7, but what is the advantage of handling group picking in the edit menu vs the options palette for the pick tool?

I think having the group icon added to the other options just seems more consistent.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Siggia

Looking for users in the central Virginia area.

Late 2014 iMac Retina.

Look up from your phone.

#33 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

Ok, it's Friday, I didn't get much sleep last night, and I'm feeling a tad grouchy; so this post may seem a little irritable :)

My biggest bugbear with FormZ is and always has been the interaction model in the Palettes. Here's a few specifics with the Object Palette that turns my cheeks a shade of red.

- Every click on an object in the Palette only responds on mouse release not initial click making interactions seem sslloowww

- If I select some items why can't I automatically group them via a contextual right click command rather than creating a new group then having to drag the objects into that newly made group

- Why does renaming objects involve two slow clicks, and then a two second delay before the object becomes editable (standard double click and contextual right clight would be so much better)

These things may seem a little nitpicky in nature but all those delays add up and disrupt an otherwise fluid modeling workflow. Pallets where items have an editable sub palette such as Materials, Layers, Lights etc are less of an irritation because a simple double click instantly opens the sub palette where edits can easily be performed.

There you go, rant over. Time for a nice cup of chamomile tea...

#34 Exocubic

Exocubic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

- Why does renaming objects involve two slow clicks, and then a two second delay before the object becomes editable (standard double click and contextual right clight would be so much better)

This one drives me nucking futs as well.

• jsiggia likes this

#35 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:32 PM

This one drives me nucking futs as well.

So happy I'm not alone with that particular frustration.  :)

#36 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:37 PM

I have few requests. I would like that controlled objects will remain their controls after applying other tools. For example, an extruded object will not loose it's extrude controls after control rounding it's top face.

Controlled boolean operation, The boolean object will be updated if I edit the controls of one of the objects.

#37 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:49 PM

I have few requests. I would like that controlled objects will remain their controls after applying other tools. For example, an extruded object will not loose it's extrude controls after control rounding it's top face.

Controlled boolean operation, The boolean object will be updated if I edit the controls of one of the objects.

These kinds of operations are not possible without construction history (which is a huge resource hog). SolidThinking Evolve works in this manner but has none of the fluidity of FormZ.

http://solidthinking...evolve2015.html

I'm not even sure that it would be possible for AutoDesSys to create a construction history based workflow without a core rewrite. Never say never though; construction history has been requested on multiple occasions over the years.

I personally think FormZ strikes a good balance between editable parametric workflows and the fluidity you get with destructive workflows. I think I'd prefer to see the AutoDesSys team create a Grasshopper type parametric tool (something which has long been promised) that works as a plugin in much the same manner that Grasshopper works with Rhino. That way neither workflow compromises the other.

Edited by jonmoore, 06 November 2015 - 03:58 PM.

#38 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:39 PM

They click, wait, click again...wait...ok now edit also annoys me.  I always thought it was simply because I had a slow cpu.  

However, the double click instantaneously brings up the Object or Layer attributes box and the name is highlighted, ready to be edited.  

#39 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

They click, wait, click again...wait...ok now edit also annoys me.  I always thought it was simply because I had a slow cpu.  

However, the double click instantaneously brings up the Object or Layer attributes box and the name is highlighted, ready to be edited.  

By jolly, there be three of us annoyed the click, wait, click again shenanigans.

And for bonus points you now know you know it has nothing to do with your slow CPU... :)

#40 rob

rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:24 PM

By jolly, there be three of us annoyed the click, wait, click again shenanigans.

And for bonus points you now know you know it has nothing to do with your slow CPU... :)

You can either speed up the double click speed of your mouse -- or you CAN just double click on the Object to rename it (and click OK), no?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users