AutoDesSys

Unresponsive tools on Windows 7 install

David Lemelin

Hi David,

We removed the MAC Address for this computer for you yesterday so you could install on a different one, no?  (A single user license allows you to install on any 2 computers and use 1 at a time.)  Of course you can reinstall on this one, but in that case resetting the MAC Address would not have been necessary.

Since you are having trouble, we would highly recommend installing formZ on your C Drive (and make sure your virus detection is disabled during the installation).  Also, leave the Scratch Disk at the default location (it does not require a lot of space).  

If your key shortcuts still disappear, go to the Edit Menu: Key Shortcuts: List -- are any shortcuts listed there?

And either way, if you then Load your Shortcut file, does that properly restore them so you can continue working without needing to reset the prefs?

I had initially loaded all my apps to the "c" drive, but it is a 259mb SSD, and became very full by the time I had all my tools in there. Suspecting that part of my issue might in fact be lack of "c" drive space, I uninstalled most apps and moved them to a different drive.

That's the point at which I requested deactivation of the PC license as I was getting an error entering the serial number and authorization code.... So far, I still haven't been able to authorize this install to see if it resolves the flaky performance.

Any thoughts? My next step is to contact my reseller to verify my codes.... Even though the ones I'm entering are right from the autodessys email....

Hi David,

If you are getting a message there is a problem with the code, please make sure that you are using the v8.5 code, and that there are no typos.

If you are getting a message that you need an internet connection, or you have too many copies running, hold down the ALT key, click Register, and follow the additional instructions.

Also, make sure that when you installed formZ and the video driver you remembered to disable your virus detection software (if you have it).  Failure to do so could result in a corrupted installation, and in that case, you need to Uninstall, Disable, and Reinstall once more.

Does that help?

Ok, I have installed once more... Disabled the virus software while doing it (which I hadn't thought of doing before... Mac user, what do I know about virus software...lol). I reinstalled on the C drive (long term this may mean a new larger SSD). Reset my preferences and shortcuts and backed up the layout and shortcuts...

Everything seems to be installed. Curiously, when I opened the new install, it was as if all the old prefs were still there despite my deliberately throwing them out before disinstalling. The missing shortcuts and even the serial # came in without my needing to re-register.

For the life of me I'll never be a PC guy.

Now.. I'll run with it and see if it behaves. Fingers crossed! 

Archived