AutoDesSys

New visibility idea, what do you think?

jsiggia

If a layer is hidden, then we should have the option for the objects on that layer to also be hidden in the object palette.

The object palette could be greatly reduced in a flash, having only the objects of "visible" layers.

Now, to avoid any confusion, this option should live in the preferences, not the menu within the palette.

This could be huge.

Any thoughts?

Joe

If a layer is hidden, then we should have the option for the objects on that layer to also be hidden in the object palette.

The object palette could be greatly reduced in a flash, having only the objects of "visible" layers.

Now, to avoid any confusion, this option should live in the preferences, not the menu within the palette.

This could be huge.

Any thoughts?

Joe

A toggle which is very quick to access at the top of the object palette to show/ignore objects on hidden layers would be very nice indeed, and even better if the size of the palette collapsed to smaller size automatically, and remembered the previously used size to toggle back to, which perhaps might be possible in the next version?, especially as I see Autodessys is looking to recruit a user interface expert. I could get excited about that prospect.

Yes Dennis, I would assume the list would close up. The object list can get very long, even when many layers are hidden. Just seems to make sense that if the objects are hidden in the modeling window, they should be hidden in the list as well, or at least have the option.

Alan, collapsing the size of the palette might be a problem if you did some rearranging of palettes, then it expanded again to full length when you unhide a layer.

Thanks for the input guys.

Joe.

expanding on this, I believe Objects and Layers pallets are views to the same information, just like 3D views; using Lists instead of B-reps.

following this, a non geometric view may have a "Semantic" state where it shows the structure of information (in the list--wether hidden or shown), and another "Logical" state which resolves and shows (in the list) only visible objects.

+1, but not to affect the size of the palette, but to make selecting objects by name easier in big projects.

I would be in favor of having the "Show only objects on visible layers" toggle in the green disclosure triangle in the objects palette.

Archived