AutoDesSys

Render area rectagle

David Lemelin

I recently was in a discussion with formZ tech support. They proposed that I could render a portion of my image using the "render area rectangle".

I was always of the opinion this tool would not work with Maxwell (and based on my tests, still doesn't).

Who is right here and if I can use the FromZ render area command with Maxwell, how do I get it to implement the desired crop?

Hi David,

It works with Maxwell. (If you performed a test an it did not work, please let us know the details.)

http://support.nextlimit.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=16810285

Render Area Rect: When form•Z's Render Area Rectangle is enabled, controls whether the image subregion is rendered at true size (Actual Size) or is blown up to fill the full image frame (Enlarge).

Hello Ben,

When you activate Render Area Rectangle in Z, you are given a rectangle to manipulate on your model window. Once you send the render to Maxwell it reveals controls for Render Area Rectangle size and X&Y location. Is it possible to reveals those controls on the FormZ side?

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary,

Do you mean that you'd like numeric control over formZ's Render Area Rectangle? If so, it would probably be better if numeric control were provided by formZ, since it "owns" the Render Area Rectangle, which affects not only the Maxwell plugin, but other renderers as well.

If this is not what you mean, please write back in more detail...

Hello Ben,

I have been using Maxwell for so long that I had not seen the "new" Render Area Rectangle Tool which is a actual manipulatable rectangle (I remember the old style of dragging a rectangle). So, yes, best done on the Z side.

Gary

But you know that formZ's Render Area Rectangle is currently translated into the Maxwell rendering, right? You can just select an area (sub-region of the image) to render in formZ, click the Maxwell button, and Maxwell will only render that area.

(Sorry if we are just miscommunicating here...)

• 1 month later...

Hi Pylon,

Sorry it's been a while since I had the chance to follow up on this posting... 

Last night I attempted to select an area in FZ with the render area rectangle and then sent it to maxwell. Maxwell rendered the whole image as though the rectangle didn't exist.

Am I not "activating" the rectangle somehow? Please see the screen caps below...

post-366-0-05009800-1447115017_thumb.png

post-366-0-96496900-1447115019_thumb.png

This is working fine here... maybe you are not running the most current version? (This feature is supported in plugin version 3.1.1.6+)

If this is not the issue, please run the command "Extensions> Maxwell Render> Forum" and post the resulting text here, so we can make sure we are testing with the same system.

And you are running Maxwell Render Suite 3.2 as well, correct? (We are not having issues with an identical setup here.)

Try this:

1. New formZ file

2. Make cube

3. Make Sky Dome

4. Save

5. Select Display > Render Area Rectangle

6. Select Display > Maxwell Render

Maxwell should be launched, and only the selected area should be rendered. Does this work for you?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

I just experimented with different view types, window frames, etc. and was unable to get 'Render Area Rectangle' to fail.

Please send a simple file which reproduces the issue, along with all dependencies, such as MXMs, bitmap textures, etc. Please ZIP the project and dependencies and send via Dropbox (or equivalent) to pylon_support.jpg

We will investigate why this might be happening and report back with a solution.

• 3 months later...

Hi David,

We discovered an issue where Render Area Rectangle would render the entire image when Image Options was set to 'Use Custom Size' and rendering dimensions were larger than the viewport dimensions. This has been corrected with Maxwell for formZ Early Build 3.2.0.8

Please see: http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/3601-new-maxwell-for-formz-early-build-3208/

Archived