AutoDesSys

Problem defining custom reference plane origins

HDroom

Hi there,

A quick question about setting the origin of a custom reference plane. 

After reading the manual I have been able to define a reference plane using a surface, then edit the plane where I move the centre of the transform wheel to a point of interest that I want to be (0,0,0). 

What I am finding though is that when I put the pick tool/box tool over that point, it is not (0,0,0). The origin is still what it was with respect to the non-custom reference plane I was working with before - the axis lines are dulled out, but it is still functioning as the origin. 

The reason I am trying to do this is to precisely locate various surfaces that I then extrude to b-split other objects. If there is an easier way to do that than setting the origin and working from there then please let me know.

Any suggestions appreciated! :-) 

Hi HDroom,

Welcome to the forum!

In the Input Palette, you want to change the Input Method from 3D to Plane (or Plane Delta) to have the coordinates shown / input relative to the active reference plane.

Also, if you pre-pick 3 points, get the Define Reference Plane tool, and click in the screen, the first point will be at the +X axis, the second point will be at the origin, and the third point will align the plane.  That way you may be able to define the plane as you want it in the first place without needing to move it.

Does that help?

Archived