AutoDesSys

FZ85 nested components - questions

3dworks

i am currently building a complex fassade construction kit which uses nested components. i am embedding all components into the project and already built a quite complex set, but now i found out that nested components will not be editable on the topmost project level, even if those are the originally embedded ones. to change a nested components i have to open the component which contains the other component, then open this nested component within that open file. apparently this component is a component on its own within the components file - not connected to the main project file.

to me it makes no sense at all, because if i need to change a nested component in a third level, i would need to open hierarchically all components using this sub-component in order to change it?

same is true for the surface materials used in the project. if i change it in the component, this won't be reflected on top level. if i replace a material on top level, on component side it will remain the old material. the components seem not to be linked to each others.

how do we have to deal with this situation? i need to be able to efficiently build my "fassade construction kit" which is using all these nested components and need the flexibility of global changes of component geometry, layers and surface materials on the top project level. these changes should affect all sub-components.

the old FZ 6.x symbol system was much more straightforward, stable and clear imho.

markus

Archived