AutoDesSys

Exporting to DAE

FredZ

I'm new to FormZ and 3D modeling in general, currently i'm using FormZ Free to learn before making the jump to a paid version. I've been making simple geometric shapes to get a feel for the tools and exporting the results as DAE.

Each time I export a project as DAE I keep getting this message "At least one object in this project has flat, cubic, cylindrical, or spherical controls which will be exported as UV coodinates.", which results in random transparent faces when I import said DAE into anoother app. This happens even if I just make a cube (each face of the cube having a material assigned to it).  Is this some sort of crippling of the app for the Free version or is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks.

Hey Fred,

Are you using Mac or Windows, and what program are you going to?

And if that program reads OBJ, does that work better for you?

Ah yes....I always forget to mention that..I'm on a Mac and I'm importing into SecondLife which only accept DAE files.

I don't think there is any "crippling" of the free version of the app, but there have been problems with the DAE texture exports since the switch to 64 bit, and I don't know if they are completely solved yet.

Doug

I don't think there is any "crippling" of the free version of the app, but there have been problems with the DAE texture exports since the switch to 64 bit, and I don't know if they are completely solved yet.

Doug

That would explain it...guess I'll keep on learning until they solve the issue (which will hopefully be soon). Thanks for clearing that up.

Enjoy the learning. I've yet to find a modeller that is as easy, versatile, deep, and robust as formZ. The only time I usually run into any real hair tearing problems is on Import and Export to other programs, and to be fair that seems to be a problem almost everywhere. We just don't seem to have learned to play well together. I think it started in the sandbox.

Doug

Hi FredZ,

Yes, the previous translators we were using were 32 bit only, and with formZ 8.5 on Windows 32 bit, the textures should be exporting properly, but on OS X and Win64, only the geometry can be exported via DAE.  We are working on a correction for this in the future.

The current work-around would be to either export an .OBJ file, and convert that to DAE, or export DAE with textures using the 32 bit version of formZ for Windows.

Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.

Hi FredZ,

Yes, the previous translators we were using were 32 bit only, and with formZ 8.5 on Windows 32 bit, the textures should be exporting properly, but on OS X and Win64, only the geometry can be exported via DAE.  We are working on a correction for this in the future.

The current work-around would be to either export an .OBJ file, and convert that to DAE, or export DAE with textures using the 32 bit version of formZ for Windows.

Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.

Hello,

I'm looking forward to the fix. I had already thought of trying that exact work-around but low and behold FormZ Free (understandably) does not export as .OBJ, only .KMZ .STL  .DAE and of course .FMZ. :huh:

Thanks again.

FormZ Pro is a really great value. It beats the socks off the competition when it comes to modeling, plus if you get the RenderZone version, you can quickly render and show off your work. I've been using the product for over 15 years in a fast production environment and it always delivers. As a bonus, you get the very best support in the business.

Archived