AutoDesSys

Augment Uploader

DMclean

Well, the Family Plan was worth it just to be one of the lucky first ones to get the new release. Installed flawlessly and I'm thrilled. Looking forward to see how fast I can break things.... :rolleyes:

Been experimenting with the Augment 3D app and the uploader extension that is in 8.5 This seems like a very exciting little feature, though I've yet to have any real success with it. I'm sure some of it is just my fumbling around in the dark, but I do keep running into my old friend the export of textures with OBJ.

Thus far I've been unable to get Augment to successfully load the model. I've attached a Zip of the file and its textures if you want to give it a shot at your end.

I thought I would try just exporting it as an OBJ and manually upload but my two favourite friends keep popping up. They're outlined in green below...

# Creator form*Z v 8.5.0 (Build 9647), � 2015 
# Date Thu Aug 27 11:44:35 2015
# User DMC DESIGN
# Material File

newmtl tropshrub1
Ka 0.6 0.6 0.6
Kd 0.75 0.75 0.75
Ks 0.37 0.37 0.37
Tf 0 0 0
illum 4
d 1.0
Ns 1.38408
sharpness 60
Ni 1
map_Ka tropshrub01_color 2.jpg   
map_Kd tropshrub01_color 2.jpg   
map_Ks tropshrub01_color 2.jpg    
decal tropshrub01_alpha 2.jpg       Why is the Alpha map assigned as a decal and not as map_d? Most of the programs that I try importing it to then need me to reassign the file to the material alpha.

bump -bm 0.600000 tropshrub01_nrm 2.jpg  This line always seems problematic. Almost every program I try importing an OBJ from fmZ into winds up looking for a file it thinks is called "-bm 0.600000 tropshrub01_nrm 2.jpg When I was experimenting with Augment Uploader the augment site always reported this as a missing texture.

I know I'm in the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" part of my mind, but unfortunately a little is all I have...

Thanks,

Doug

TropShrub.zip

Decided to really drop back to basics and this was the result.... Love the idea and the models they have on the site work really well. No joy from my attempts though. Curious if anyone else has played with this and had success...

Doug

post-20-0-74394800-1440714887_thumb.jpg

Hi Doug, 

We have confirmed the issue with the Augment Uploader not properly handling Transparency or Bump mapping.  Thanks for the report, we will get this corrected.  

The error you are receiving is possibly due to the Normal mapping used in your file as opposed to Bump mapping.  Augment is expecting a Normal map, but formZ uses Bump mapping... we will continue to investigate this issue.

However we are not having any issues with simple models or regular textures, much like the one you posted in the screenshot.  Can you send us that file so we can try and reproduce it here?

Hi Doug, 

We have confirmed the issue with the Augment Uploader not properly handling Transparency or Bump mapping.  Thanks for the report, we will get this corrected.  

The error you are receiving is possibly due to the Normal mapping used in your file as opposed to Bump mapping.  Augment is expecting a Normal map, but formZ uses Bump mapping... we will continue to investigate this issue.

However we are not having any issues with simple models or regular textures, much like the one you posted in the screenshot.  Can you send us that file so we can try and reproduce it here?

I've taken a relatively simple file (the same plant I sent you earlier) and changed the normal map to a standard grey scale. I exported an OBJ file which I then tried to load into Lightwave. Lightwave asks for the location of the  tropshrub01_color 2.jpg map, which I give it. It then asks for the location of  -bm 0.600000 tropshrub01_bmp 2.jpg. It also does not automatically load the alpha map. I have to go into the material editor and load that on its own.

So at the moment I have yet to find a way to export a file that I know is giving me the correct textures.

D

Hi Doug,

We tested the simple object file that you posted and we are not having any issues with the geometry when uploading to Augment.

When you uploaded this file, did you use the Augment Uploader from the Extensions menu?  The default Export OBJ options are different than the options used for the Augment Uploader (for example: the Augment Uploader automatically changes the Platform, enables Triangulate All Faceted, etc..) , so this may cause undesired results.  

Also, can you verify that you are using the latest release of formZ 8.5 (build 9647)?

Just to be sure I tried again just now. Used the same file that I sent to you. Uploaded from formZ 8.5 (build9647) using the Augment Uploader from the Extensions menu, and the results are the same as I posted.

Using MacPro 5.1, Yosemite 10.10.5

Doug

Hi Doug, 

We were able to find the cause of the problem with the OBJ Bump and Transparency maps, and will have this fixed for the next update.  Thanks for your report.

Unfortunately we are still unable to reproduce this same problem when uploading simple files to Augment.  Try using Export OBJ with the following options (see screenshot) and place the resulting files in a new folder, compress the folder, and upload the compressed file to Augment.  Does this workflow produce better results?

post-5-0-56326000-1441031517_thumb.jpg

Doing a manual Export did in fact work, with one small caveat. I still get a warning from Augment telling me that it is looking for the file "-bm 0.60000 texture.jpg". But if I ignore the warning and just tell it to save and publish the file I do get the model albeit with incorrect rotation, but that should be easy to solve. The search for the "-bm 0.6000" is something which is happening with all my obj exports in any program that I attempt to import into when I spec a bump map in formZ. For some reason all of them read the -bm argument in the mtl file as part of the file name. Oh, just reread your message and see that you've figured that one out. Dying to know why it does that... :) it's been driving me crazy... or crazier...

Thanks,

Doug

post-20-0-49383100-1441032639_thumb.jpg

Okay... now I really am going crazy. Took the same model I just uploaded manually, hit the Augment Uploader and today the file uploaded properly... :huh:

Perhaps the reset of the Workspaces that I did over the weekend?

Doug

Archived